Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 01:25 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Do that a few times when politicians get frisky and maybe the *******s in Washington will get the message that screwing around with people's livelihoods who are actually doing an important service to our society is not acceptable.
I actually think that is going to happen soon. I was talking to some friends and when they have to expend about $400 just to commute into work for a month, they just can't afford that without money coming in... and people are just not going to show up and dare people to fire them.

I think people have gotten so used to bashing "federal workers" they don't remember what they do.

Right now idiots are going around saying.. I don't notice a thing.. well that is because the VAST majority of federal workers are still there working for free. One day, they just won't show because they don't have the money anymore and then you will see it.

It is just such a cheap move. If you want to fire the dead weight in the federal government -- go do that. Don't hurt the people that aren't dead weight. If you want to privatize parts of the gov't... go do that...don't hurt people who have nothing to do with anything and no power to make any changes. But you can't get any of that done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 01:41 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That's not what I am suggesting - -this does not provide pay for these workers NOW....this covers the pay the employees will have missed. They still won't get paid until AFTER the shutdown.

There should be legislation to make sure those working get paid while working.

Of course they should all get back pay too.
One has been reintroduced...who knows if it will happen

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...shutdowns.html

Old 01-12-2019, 01:48 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some of the affected folks can be fired and blacklisted (permanently losing their eligibility for other federal jobs) if they strike. Depends on their condition of employment. Quite a risk to take to make a political statement don't you think?

What political statement?

If you can't eat because you don't have money, you can't eat. You don't even have to 'walk off' the job. If you don't have money to even be able to get to work, then you can't get to work. People still have to put gas in their car or pay for public transport to be able to get where they're going. Rents also don't get furloughed either. Workers won't be able to hold out much longer as not paying bills ruins credit scores, it'll force people to withdraw from their retirement accounts and incur huge tax penalties for withdrawing early, or there simply isn't money left to put a roof over your head. No need to walk off jobs, you need to survive.

All hell will break loose if air travel were permanently frozen until the government reopened and starting paying people again. And no, you couldn't just hire a brand new batch of noobs off the street to do the job, because you need people with experience, as ATCs are in charge of millions of lives per year. You could try to bring in the military to do it, but then you'd be wasting huge national defense resources for civilian efforts. Meanwhile Russia could just easily fly in fighter planes over our territory due to the distraction of the military towards civilian aviation.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:58 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
I think the longer this Trump shutdown goes on, the more likely it is that you will see federal workers taking actions in protest. It may be calling in sick with the blue flu, increased protest gatherings, or more PR stories being put forth about the negative effect and hardship put on the workers and their families.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:58 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
So if we privatize it, it becomes free?
What becomes free?
Quote:
Or do we waste billions like we did in Iraq while fattening the wallets of Halliburton, black water, and KBR?
has what to do with privatization of the airline industry?
Quote:
It gets paid for either way.
Doesn't everything?

Old 01-12-2019, 02:09 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
All White House helpers - cooks, janitors, landscape crew, the guy who keeps Trumps TV sets working, should all be part of the furlough. Trump should feel the same pain as everyone else. Let him clean his own toilet and do his own dishes.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Perfect reason why the whole goverment should stay Union, what Reagan did was illegal.
100% wrong. Those Air Traffic Controllers signed contracts stating they would not go on strike. Then they did go on strike. Reagan was right to fire them.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:22 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
100% wrong. Those Air Traffic Controllers signed contracts stating they would not go on strike. Then they did go on strike. Reagan was right to fire them.

Except that was in the 1980s. It took nearly 3 years after to finally get air traffic back to normal. The quantity of air traffic has exponentially increased since the 1980s, and the FAA alone handles over 15,000,000 flights per year.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:47 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Id be curious what would happen if the border patrol, Immigration Passport control, and Coast Guard just all of a sudden disappeared in unison? And left the borders wide open.
I guess Trump would soon find out instead of getting his wall built, his tantrums and bad decisions just left his borders wide open and removed any barrier stopping those caravan or other people he hate or any type of border protection whatsoever. That would teach him a lesson. As he doesn't feed the ones that who help secure the border every day. Insulting these guys who help him secure the border for free to hold garage sales or mystery shop is such a joke.

Think of Firing them! good luck trying to hire all these replacement and retraining them timely especially for slave labor job with no pay at all.

I am surprised people today still sheepishly tolerate slave labor.
I would be curious whether Trump would declare martial law and have the national guard take over instead. Id be curious whether the military is paid during the shutdown.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:02 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Another inductee in the people who do not know what a government shutdown means club. In fact we have a heartless member at that. I'm damn sick and tired of reading "Oh furloughed federal workers are getting a ' vacation.'" Just stop with that everyone, you know not what you speak.
I thought I was being pretty fair and sticking up for federal employees saying that they should either a) get paid in a timely manner as usual for having to work, or b) not have to work at all. How is that heartless at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies