Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I'm pro-choice, with a 'but'. In the third trimester, because the fetus has a decent chance at living outside the woman's body, abortion should only be allowed in life-threatening situations. Not mental health. The woman has had six months to figure out whether she wants to maintain the pregnancy. If she needs to terminate for mental health reasons, it should have been done prior to that last trimester. After six months, the only major difference between 'fetus' and 'baby' is some amniotic fluid and a cervix.
Isn't that how the law is written?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,751,374 times
Quote:
As for pregnancies terminated in the third trimester due to "viability", wouldn't that fall under the umbrella of threat to life? I just have a problem with the mental health thing. To be clear, I don't think this would be an issue with the vast majority of already tiny numbers of pregnancies likely to be terminated this late, but it still rankles.
You don't get it. It doesn't matter if it "rankles" because it isn't your body or your business.

And no, a non-viable fetus frequently doesn't threaten a mothers life. Just her mental health, which you have already stated is irrelevant.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,751,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Isn't that how the law is written?
The issue is that the law allows a woman and her medical provider to decide what is life threatening. Many people on this thread believe that this means women will wait until the third trimester, request an abortion, fake a mental illness and so on in order to abort a fetus.

21,953 posts, read 9,537,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
The point is, nothing is 100%. You can take all the precautions in the world, and still end up pregnant. I've seen it with my own eyes. Part of the problem is the religious right preaching abstinence when that simply isn't going to happen, instead of trying to educate and teach kids. In other words, "Just don't have sex!" is a non starter.
Most birth control is pretty effective if you use it properly. If I had a nickel for everyone who had an 'accident'. Another Democrat lie. I was pregnant ZERO times until I wanted to be at 39.

7,685 posts, read 6,204,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Opinions don't kill people. Abortions do.

The Ten Commandments:

One of them is: Thou shall not kill.

Nothing to do with religion whatsoever.

GOD has the only power of life and death, otherwise shall meet GOD and judgement.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't regret my abortion. I was 2 years out of cancer, my birth control failed, and my medical team said under no uncertain terms that carrying a pregnancy to term would be a risk to my immediate and future health. My partner at the time was rapidly breaking down - that's what spending a childhood in the foster care system bouncing from abusive house to abusive house because it's easier for pro-lifers to make proclamations than to put their money & time where their mouth is does to you when you're faced with commitment.

3 pills and my period started. Luckily, I had access to healthcare, access to a Planned Parenthood, and my cycles were normal enough that I was able to tell that I had missed a period almost immediately.

By the way, I did spend some time looking for resources that would allow me to give birth and put the child up for adoption. Spoiler alert: not a single organization promoting "life" would be willing to cover my health insurance when I lost my job due to overrunning FMLA, replace my income when I was out on bedrest, or cover increased medical bills for life due to being a medically challenged brood mare for their cause.
I am betting you had yours pretty early in the pregnancy? My sister had one too, after taking heavy narcotics after having a brain tumor that was benign. But she had it EARLY. We are talking about celebrating late teem abortion.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:13 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,128,387 times
The locals should destroy the lights or flip the breaker. The cops wouldn't interfere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The Trump administration has been separating children from their parents for over a year.
They are keeping many of them in warehouses where they are drugged daily and some are sexually abused and yes, killed.

If you support this, you are a hypocrite of the highest order.
This policy started under Obama.

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,657 posts, read 18,015,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Why would a woman carry a baby to term or near term and then suddenly decide to abort it at that late date?

I can't fathom this.
I can't either - but it does happen. I've seen women who didn't know they were pregnant until it was too late to abort, or who had a change in their relationship and no longer wanted the baby but didn't want to put it up for adoption (who knows why), or women who are mentally ill or as I mentioned earlier, meth heads.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:14 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,831,198 times
Quote:
As for pregnancies terminated in the third trimester due to "viability", wouldn't that fall under the umbrella of threat to life? I just have a problem with the mental health thing. To be clear, I don't think this would be an issue with the vast majority of already tiny numbers of pregnancies likely to be terminated this late, but it still rankles.
I do agree that most women should know their own minds prior to the fetus getting out of the first trimester. At least I hope they would. I think late term abortions are awful and should be avoided if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies