Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The thought was: "One of them hurt me; I'm going to hurt one of them in retaliation."

The direction of hatred at them is bigotry. The mindset of an inviolable us and them is bigotry. It's the same thing at its base, whether it's religious or racial, and, indeed, a man bigoted at heart can swing very easily between any kind of bigot.

That's why we don't trust right-wing Americans who try to pitch blacks against Latinos or "legal immigrants" against "illegal immigrants" because we recognize that at base their bigots, and swing from one kind of bigotry to another kind of bigotry as they walk from room to room.

So, yes, young Liam Neeson was the bigot that surrounded him, that he was raised with.

And apparently he repented of that and changed.

But in all this, the point he was actually trying to make has been overlooked. What he explicitly said was, "The way I was then is the same today, if you scratch the surface."
I think it's more a matter of a fantasy about symbolic retribution. If it had been a blonde Swede, would he be called a bigot toward blonde Swedes?

You've been the victim of a violent attack, but I think (but may be wrong) that the attacker was the same gender and race. If it had been a white guy, and you expressed the sentiment he did, I would completely get it, and not once think you were a bigot. I'd understand that you were looking for someone whose face was the face of the attacker and it was just symbolic in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 07:51 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
The problem with Liam Neeson is this. Historically very emotional white men would go out to defend a woman's honor if their women were harmed. Men of color and even ethnic white men were killed this way when someone was accused of harming a white woman. A good example of this is Emmitt Till in 1955, and Leo Frank a Jew from NYC who was lynched in Atlanta by a mob who accused him of killing Mary Phagan.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:03 AM

8,245 posts, read 3,500,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Trayvon Martin ended up dead because he was a racist who thought it would be fun to beat the crap out of a "creepy cracker" and picked the wrong one.
Even a black person should be able to walk down the street without having someone follow him/her. What happened to Martin was wrong.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:06 AM

58 posts, read 39,553 times
America has gone mad. Honestly, it's both frightening and spectacular to see.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Even a black person should be able to walk down the street without having someone follow him/her. What happened to Martin was wrong.
The problem is this. Everyone without a badge wants to play The Batman. And at times playing The Batman can go very wrong.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:31 AM

2,362 posts, read 779,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The problem with Liam Neeson is this. Historically very emotional white men would go out to defend a woman's honor if their women were harmed. Men of color and even ethnic white men were killed this way when someone was accused of harming a white woman. A good example of this is Emmitt Till in 1955, and Leo Frank a Jew from NYC who was lynched in Atlanta by a mob who accused him of killing Mary Phagan.
How Liam Neeson thought is even worse. When they lynched Emmitt, they thought he was guilty (whether he was or not is a different story).

Neeson wasn't looking for the guilty party - he was looking for ANY Black man. He wanted to revenge against the Black race for a crime of one of its own members. This is deeply and irrevocably a racist mindset and the same mindset that led Dylan Roof to commit his crimes.

Yes, Neeson didn't go through with his thoughts. Why? Did he have pangs of remorse? Did he not find a Black guy? Or was he scared of the consequences? No one knows this, probably not even Neeson. Some man will fantasize about crimes without ever committing them, others eventually will.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:35 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I want to say this is an example of White privilege going on in this thread. I hate to use that word, but that's what's going on here.

To be clear, I don't want Neeson to be tarred and feathered - that's equally wrong. But people trying to excuse his thoughts, by looking to the Troubles as a source, is just kind of a cop-out. Sorry.

Are you going to do the same gymnastics for Pakistanis or Afghanis who are caught doing sexual crimes in the UK? They grew up in a society that didn't equip them to deal with sexually liberated women. Not to mention a society far more chaotic and violent than anytime during the Troubles. If an Afghani murders his girlfriend (like he did in Germany) will you go yeah well he grew up in Afghanistan, he's a product of his environment. Or will you want to throw the book at him?
No. Liam Neeson is talking about what was in his head at that time and that place. He's not talking about what's in his head having been removed from that time and place.

So, no, it doesn't excuse someone who has left that time and place.

Back around the same time, maybe somewhat earlier, I had attitudes about women that I would not want to be held responsible for today.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:31 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
How Liam Neeson thought is even worse. When they lynched Emmitt, they thought he was guilty (whether he was or not is a different story).

Neeson wasn't looking for the guilty party - he was looking for ANY Black man. He wanted to revenge against the Black race for a crime of one of its own members. This is deeply and irrevocably a racist mindset and the same mindset that led Dylan Roof to commit his crimes.

Yes, Neeson didn't go through with his thoughts. Why? Did he have pangs of remorse? Did he not find a Black guy? Or was he scared of the consequences? No one knows this, probably not even Neeson. Some man will fantasize about crimes without ever committing them, others eventually will.
no, your wrong, he wasn't looking for any blackman, you were not listening and built this into something it is not....

He went out into a black community and was waiting for someone to start something with him, rob him or worse....period.

But he didn't did he. and again, if it had been a white man, or any other nationality, he would have felt the very same way....if it had been a white man, we wouldn't be having this conversation would we.

Point being, he wanted to educate people on how badly hate can make a person, and that's what he was talking about.

For God's sake, this was what 40 years ago.....[people, move on....

if it had been someone close to me, that was raped, I'd have felt the very same way at the time....

Old 02-08-2019, 09:33 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:

no, your wrong, he wasn't looking for any blackman, you were not listening and built this into something it is not....

He went out into a black community and was waiting for someone to start something with him, rob him or worse....period.

But he didn't did he. and again, if it had been a white man, or any other nationality, he would have felt the very same way....if it had been a white man, we wouldn't be having this conversation would we.

Point being, he wanted to educate people on how badly hate can make a person, and that's what he was talking about.

For God's sake, this was what 40 years ago.....[people, move on....

it is amazing, how people miss the point of his talk, he was trying to explain to people what hate does to someone.....

Old 02-08-2019, 09:39 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,191,826 times

https://media.giphy.com/media/SJWa4ufrWuyuA/giphy.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies