Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree. His statements served no purpose and it only inflamed people. Now he's being called names. He knew better or he should have known better.
Right now it's not the time to mention anything racist or sexist to a lesser extent political. Small number of vocal people who have power in institutions such as academia entertainment, publishing, media tech, the arts, social media are heavily hypersensitive. Liam Neeson maintain admission of statements at the wrong time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In today's climate, it's a bad idea to be honest - even if you follow it up with, 'I was wrong and I'm ashamed I felt that way.'

If he wanted to really find a black guy to take it out on, he would have done that.

I've been the victim of black on white crime, as have some people I care about. Did I go through some periods of time where I harbored some sick fantasies and ugly thoughts? You bet I did. It's human nature. Denying that is a lie. It's part of the stages one goes through when victimized, not unlike stages of grief. If one of the black posters were to state he'd had a horrific incident with a white guy, and went out for two weeks just waiting to kill a white guy looking to mess with him - I would completely understand his initial rage...as long as he didn't act on it.

If this was his mother, sister, or wife who was raped, you think he's going to deal with his rage rationally? Saying he wanted something to happen doesn't mean he really would have done that, by the way. I think the point in telling this was to put into context something in his movie.

Is what he said really that different than rappers talking about wanting or planning to kill a cop? Something that does happen? Where has your outrage been for that?
The first statement is true.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Liam Neeson is a white male. In today's super SJWLGBTQPC climate he might not ever get another job again. Look at what happened to Kevin Hart. He is black, he never even promoted violence and, he is still getting dragged through the mud, just for expressing how he chooses to raise his son. As for what Liam said 40 years ago? The snowflakes that be will never forgive him, ever. I hope he got enough money to never need work again...
My thoughts exactly.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's pretty cowardly to want to find some random stranger because someone else caused harm to a friend or family member. Now if he had found the actual perp and brought about some actual justice, that's one thing. But he becomes no better than the rapist when he wants to take out his anger on someone not involved in the original crime
Yes it is, but blind rage can over-ride logic.

Neeson himself said he was grateful his rage faded and he never found a target, and he deeply regrets his emotions led him to prowl as he did. I'm sure Liam is not bigoted.

His rage made him generalize things, just like I see a lot of generalization here on the forum all the time, when one individual who does something becomes lumped into a group that did nothing.

His rage was hotter, so his thoughts were more violent than most of the comments here on the forum.

I can understand that emotion. I've felt that rage, even though I never had a racial bias when it hit. but the incident that caused the rage didn't have a racial element. We have all seen it on the news, when a father kills his child's rapist. It happens. When it comes, it makes people think thoughts they would never think in normal times.

Remember a reporter asked Neeson how he prepared for this role.
Neeson tapped into the most violent emotional memory he ever experienced, and used it to act his part. When he was acting, he wasn't angry- he was acting like he was angry.

That's what makes an actor- they portray emotions they don't actually feel in the moment. It's probably the same incident he used to play his part in Taken and some other of his flicks. Another actor would have some other incident that rouses similar emotions.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Liam Neeson is a racist. Personally, since the incident is over 30 years in his past, he probably learned to control his anger afterward much better, I think.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:38 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
That was an unstable mindset. My uncle was murdered by two white thugs but I never felt the desire to kill any white males.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Have to wonder if he would have been less motivated for revenge if the perpetrator had been white Irish. Wonder what his friend who was raped thinks of that, if even deep down subconsciously
Well said.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:47 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Any jokes about the "dark side" yet?

Old 02-06-2019, 01:53 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Hearing these dark thoughts from Neeson does give me reason to be concerned, even fearful. I am a Black man, and I often have to wonder what some people might think of me. I sometimes wonder if some persons do fear. I'm not a large guy by any means. However, there are times when I do wonder if someone looks down on me, or even fears me. And then I have to think how things historically have been, with Black people, especially Black men, being looked down on and feared, regardless of whether Blacks were committing crimes or not. And then I hear this from Liam Neeson. I wonder if it could be me that might get killed. I don't like wondering if someone fears me or looks down on me. I can't do much about some criminal who happens to be Black, other than turn said person over to the police if I see a crime committed. Thugs don't listen to anyone and don't really care if they themselves live or die. I care though. I'm trying to live my best life.

I thought about someone who lost a family member at the hands of criminals who happened to be Black. As sorry as I was that she lost a family member, I also thought about this: Is this going to give her more reason to hate Black people? This did cross my mind.
This is one of the reasons that raising children in the U.S. sometimes gives me pause, as similar sentiments exist. Despite mass violence against black people in the past (to include scores of rapes again black women), there are many people who harbor and/or perpetuate this fear of black people, particular black men. It’s quite sick.

If black people felt the way he and some others did, it would be another story. Yet for generations they were subjected to rape that largely went unpunished.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:33 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I would just like to point out that Mr. Neeson did not go out looking for an innocent black man to attack. Innocent of raping his friend, yes, but innocent, no.

He went out hoping a black man would accost him, try to mug him, etc., giving him reason to defend himself and an excuse to release his rage against his friend's rapist.

If Mr. Neeson intended to attack an innocent black man I am quite sure he would have found one and there would be a different story to tell.

IMO, this is an important distinction when it comes to judging Mr. Neeson's actions all those years ago.
The problem is, when you go out looking for a reason to be offended, you are likely to find one. I don't think there's any getting around the fact that he was hoping for a fight he could justify.

Does that mean he would do the same thing now? No. In fact, it sounds like he's pretty horrified to have felt that way.

The thing is, how many others are there who do now what he was doing then? I think that is what has people worried, and it's perfectly understandable.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:58 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
What a genius. Coming out with this before his new movie opens. What is wrong with people? I guess they’re just thinking of the moment. Why put this out for public Consumption? He’s as stupid as Elizabeth Warren with her Indian thing. Amazing....

Old 02-06-2019, 04:28 AM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Snowflakes are upset over an honest admission by Neeson.

However, Neeson should have darned well known that people were going to get upset in this hypersensitive day we live in, so it's on him. Seriously, he should have just kept his mouth shut, TMI. His statements served zero purpose.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/liam-...165255210.html

O.M.G.
and I always thought there is no such thing as the thought police.........................

One does not have to travel to far back to remember the media panning of young kids jumping in the streets
for joy when OJ was found not guilty of filleting his wife outside their home..........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies