Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Liam Neeson will be fine. Frankly I appreciate his honesty and candor about how he felt 40 years ago.

Nothing to see here folks. Let's move it along.
Metoo. He was being honest. Not like Joy Reid who lied about her anti gay remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
What he said is racist, but just because it's racist that doesn't mean we need to tar and feather him. Racism is a human emotion, and part of the human condition. But in this society, racism is treated like some unspeakable taboo. It makes everyone uncomfortable even though everyone has racist thoughts, some act out their racism etc. We need to first demystify racism. Racism right now is treated as this gigantic moral failing that if one is guilty of - deserves no repentance. In effect, you have everyone denying being racist and also hurling that term around to 'wound' their opponents. It's ridiculous. Let's put racism back into context. It happens, everyone is guilty of it. Obviously not everyone is guilty of wanting to kill someone of a race due to a criminal sharing that race - but racism comes in many extremes, and we should be able to talk about it.
Truth.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:47 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
K12144 I have. I didn't crow about it to the whole world at the time and I wouldn't do so now. If I got over it and I saw the error of my ways, then I no longer do whatever it is, which should be enough without me running out seeking credit for getting over it and seeing the error of my ways.

Of course you didn't and you couldn't your not a movie star like Neeson is....he wasn't seeking any credit, what he was trying to show people, is, the hatred that can be built up in a person, and make them do things they wouldn't normally do.

There was a woman, beating my son, slapping him across the face, constantly putting him down verbally, working on his mind...you have no idea, what I thought and went thru, none, the dreams I used to have of being put in a room alone with her for 5 minutes....she was and still is an evil woman...

I even threatened her, that is she ever hit my kid one more time, I'd come down and do the very same thing to her, it would be worth it to sit in jail after the pain and sorrow she caused everyone for 4 years....So, you'd be very wise not to judge...

Quote:
Nope. But, I'm also not condoning it or trying to explain it away.
unfortunately you perceive this situation, only as you can, you are unable to view it for what it was....I'm so sorry....

there is no more can be said.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:48 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Liam Neeson will be fine. Frankly I appreciate his honesty and candor about how he felt 40 years ago.

Nothing to see here folks. Let's move it along.
have you noticed that he looks ill....or is he working too much, burning the candle at both ends, between the movies he's making and his kids. I believe he really is still in love with his wife, and is hurting since she was sadly taken from him.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
What he said is racist, but just because it's racist that doesn't mean we need to tar and feather him. Racism is a human emotion, and part of the human condition. But in this society, racism is treated like some unspeakable taboo. It makes everyone uncomfortable even though everyone has racist thoughts, some act out their racism etc. We need to first demystify racism. Racism right now is treated as this gigantic moral failing that if one is guilty of - deserves no repentance. In effect, you have everyone denying being racist and also hurling that term around to 'wound' their opponents. It's ridiculous. Let's put racism back into context. It happens, everyone is guilty of it. Obviously not everyone is guilty of wanting to kill someone of a race due to a criminal sharing that race - but racism comes in many extremes, and we should be able to talk about it.
What exactly did he say that was racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
No problem.

For the posters that say Liam's career is finished...I don't think so.
I agree with you - I don't think he's toast as some are suggesting. For every clown calling for his head, there are a thousand who get it and have already moved on.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:06 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's pretty cowardly to want to find some random stranger because someone else caused harm to a friend or family member. Now if he had found the actual perp and brought about some actual justice, that's one thing. But he becomes no better than the rapist when he wants to take out his anger on someone not involved in the original crime
This is the thing:

Neeson was in his 20s in Ireland during their urban war. And it was really war in the streets.

Things went like this on the street: A Protestant killed a Catholic; Catholics responded directly by killing a Protestant. A Catholic killed a Protestant: Protestants responded directly by killing a Catholic. A Catholic pub gets bombed; a few days later, a Protestant pub got bombed. A Protestant church got bombed; a few days later, a Catholic church got bombed.

And this happened every day. People lost relatives--fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, children, old people-- every day.

So in this environment, a young man's dear friend is raped. If the rapist had been Protestant, it's a damned safe bet young Neeson would have been out looking for a Protestant to kill.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is the thing:

Neeson was in his 20s in Ireland during their urban war. And it was really war in the streets.

Things went like this on the street: A Protestant killed a Catholic; Catholics responded directly by killing a Protestant. A Catholic killed a Protestant: Protestants responded directly by killing a Catholic. A Catholic pub gets bombed; a few days later, a Protestant pub got bombed. A Protestant church got bombed; a few days later, a Catholic church got bombed.

And this happened every day. People lost relatives--fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, children, old people-- every day.

So in this environment, a young man's dear friend is raped. If the rapist had been Protestant, it's a damned safe bet young Neeson would have been out looking for a Protestant to kill.
This post puts it into context, like no other. Thanks for a factual and rational response.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:26 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What exactly did he say that was racist?
Looking to kill a random Black man due to a crime of some unrelated Black man is textbook racism. How is it not racist? He's holding another Black man accountable (at least in his fantasies) simply due to his race.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Looking to kill a random Black man due to a crime of some unrelated Black man is textbook racism. How is it not racist? He's holding another Black man accountable (at least in his fantasies) simply due to his race.
No, it wasn't. Please read Ralph_Kirk's post. He nailed it.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:45 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No, it wasn't. Please read Ralph_Kirk's post. He nailed it.
What he said is completely irrelevant to whether Liam's thoughts were racist or not. What Liam Neeson was fantasizing about was racial violence. What Ralph Kirk described was religious violence. Perhaps somewhere in the brain, these two sources of vengeance have the same source, it doesn't change that in this case Neeson's thoughts were racist.

I don't know how you can sit there and deny that wanting to kill a random black man because his friend was raped by some other black man is anything other than racist. Try and logically write that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies