Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 10:05 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,971,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I would just like to point out that Mr. Neeson did not go out looking for an innocent black man to attack. Innocent of raping his friend, yes, but innocent, no.

He went out hoping a black man would accost him, try to mug him, etc., giving him reason to defend himself and an excuse to release his rage against his friend's rapist.

If Mr. Neeson intended to attack an innocent black man I am quite sure he would have found one and there would be a different story to tell.

IMO, this is an important distinction when it comes to judging Mr. Neeson's actions all those years ago.
He went out hoping someone would assault him? Does that sound like healthy behavior to you, no matter the reason they do it? (What would have happened if that did happen and he didn't turn out to be the He-man hero in that case and got shot or beaten up?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
His Friend and a very close friend was raped....RAPED, how would you feel, how would you feel if it was your friend, your wife, your daughter or even your son.
If someone hurts someone I love, they'd better hope the police find them before I do.

But people who had nothing to do with it? The thought of going after them just because they share some physical attribute with the person who did it would be bizarre and unthinkable to me no matter how angry I was at the person who actually did the crime. Because, y'know, I employ logic (and it would also say something about me if I were to be satisfied at "serving justice" to just anyone even the person who actually deserved it got off scot-free).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
What's the purpose of him keeping these thoughts to himself? People shouldn't keep dark thoughts to themselves because these thoughts can fester.

Essentially the thought process behind Liam Neeson is the same as Dylan Roof (who said he went into that church to kill Black men because he was upset at the number of rapes Black men do of white women). Wouldn't you have wanted Dylan Roof to have talked openly about his dark thoughts? Maybe he would have gotten the help he needed before he did his crime.

In the case of Neeson, I don't think he's a danger to Black men, but I think talking about these thoughts brings him closure, which is vital for mental health. It also helps society, racism can not be treated as a taboo, a mortal sin - racism is an aspect of the human condition and we should be able to discuss it.
It's been 40 years and it's still bothering him so much? Sounds like something he should be saying to a therapist, then, not the press. (You can "get things out" without having to tell everyone who will listen.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 10:58 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
K12144He went out hoping someone would assault him? Does that sound like healthy behavior to you, no matter the reason they do it? (What would have happened if that did happen and he didn't turn out to be the He-man hero in that case and got shot or beaten up?)
everyone is making so much out of this, it's pathetic....it was 40 years ago, when your young you do dumb things...but, he admitted his wrongness and was using this as a topic to teach, not to be judged....he said he was wrong, he was embarrassed that he felt that way....for God's sake.....let it go...

If someone hurts someone I love, they'd better hope the police find them before I do.

Quote:
But people who had nothing to do with it? The thought of going after them just because they share some physical attribute with the person who did it would be bizarre and unthinkable to me no matter how angry I was at the person who actually did the crime. Because, y'know, I employ logic (and it would also say something about me if I were to be satisfied at "serving justice" to just anyone even the person who actually deserved it got off scot-free).
He went out hoping someone would attack him...he wasn't going to hurt an innocent victim, he was hoping someone would rob him or pick a fight with him....

Quote:
It's been 40 years and it's still bothering him so much? Sounds like something he should be saying to a therapist, then, not the press. (You can "get things out" without having to tell everyone who will listen.)

You don't get it....with all the racist hate going on, he shared his story to let people know, how hate can eat you up and cause you to do things you wouldn't normally do....

Good Lord, forget about it and move on....the Press took his words out of context and made it sound like he is still feeling that way, until you read the article.

Oh, but, perhaps you've never done anything wrong in your early life that your sorry for? I know I have....

and no matter how I'd spin the situation, using it as an example, there are always going to be people twisting it, to meet their agendas, misunderstanding, etc....

Did he do it, NO, he didn't....haven't you ever thought of doing something wrong? Wish more people would fess up to their deep dark secrets....instead of playing holier than thou

same here with this situation...they've already castrated the poor guy in hollywood....

Old 02-06-2019, 11:31 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Have to wonder if he would have been less motivated for revenge if the perpetrator had been white Irish.
Wonder what his friend who was raped thinks of that, if even deep down subconsciously

I don't think it's really right to try to delve into possibly racist thoughts of a woman who was raped 40 years ago and who, according to Neeson, did not send tell him to go avenge her by looking for black men to kill. And even if she had had racist thoughts, if they were subconscious or even conscious; she wasn't the one acting on them. I don't believe in policing people's thoughts; but when they pick up weapons and go out literally looking for trouble and hoping to kill people who share a skin color in common with a particular criminal, that is crossing a line. Thank God that no black person approached Neeson while he was out there in a mood to kill any black man who said who-knows-what to him; and that no one was hurt or worse. But the raped woman should not be held to any blame or, in my opinion, any suspicion about her thoughts.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:36 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Honestly, how is it any different than Jada Pinkett Smith saying she hated blondes for bullying her in high school? Both said it because they knew it was wrong to think that way, but circumstances at the time made them think that way. They both said they don’t actually act on it.

I knew a woman who was brutally raped by a stranger who broke into her home who was black. For about a year she would not get on an elevator or be in an enclosed space with a black man. She knew it was wrong, but she couldn’t help it. She no longer has that problem. If it had been a white man, she probably would have been afraid to get on elevators with lone white men but probably wouldn’t have been as fearful of all white men simply because she was white, had white brothers, etc. I’m sure black women raped by white men would feel the same way.

The difference is, in my opinion, is that Jada Pinkett Smith did not pick up a weapon and go looking for blonde white girls to batter; nor did your acquaintance pick up a baseball bat and go out hoping to find black men to "kill". I don't see how anyone could fault either lady for their feelings, but they did not take any active steps to go out and harm people who shared skin color/hair color with those those who wronged them.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:39 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
The difference is, in my opinion, is that Jada Pinkett Smith did not pick up a weapon and go looking for blonde white girls to batter; nor did your acquaintance pick up a baseball bat and go out hoping to find black men to "kill". I don't see how anyone could fault either lady for their feelings, but they did not take any active steps to go out and harm people who shared skin color/hair color with those those who wronged them.
IMO, if Neeson was serious, he would have hurt a black person or persons like Dylan Roof did. He was just fantasizing. Of course, this is just an opinion.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:41 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
not much of a difference. neeson didn't take any active steps either.

Last edited by uggabugga; 02-06-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 12:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
He went out hoping someone would assault him? Does that sound like healthy behavior to you, no matter the reason they do it? (What would have happened if that did happen and he didn't turn out to be the He-man hero in that case and got shot or beaten up?)

Friends of mine lost their son in a freak accident. His mom stayed in bed for a month. Does that sound like healthy behavior to you?

He didn't bring it up because it's bothering him, but as someone already pointed out, because it pertains to the role in the movie he's promoting.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
IMO, if Neeson was serious, he would have hurt a black person or persons like Dylan Roof did. He was just fantasizing. Of course, this is just an opinion.
Well, it is factual that he did nothing. And it's true that if he really wanted to, he could have forced the issue and made that happen.

His biggest crime? Telling his story. I get that he was trying to relate how trauma can impact human beings, but that just doesn't work for those who want to find racism wherever they want to find it.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:08 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Reply to English Dave

Thank you!!!

Yes, I totally agree with you, but unfortunately, Hollywood is more political than Washington DC....and they have canceled the red carpet for his new movie...really sucks....I feel badly for him....the way people take things out of context....

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...versy-backlash

Unfortunately the media has the power to make you or break you....

In my opinion, he doesn't look well...looks overly tired and thin?

I was sexually abused as a child, you don't want to know my inner most darkest thoughts towards that man who abused me....

if it had been a white guy, we wouldn't even be having this conversation any longer....and he said, he'd have felt the same way about any nationality, this person raped a close friend of his....

He literally confessed the hate that built up inside of him, and yes, he got caught up in the moment, for I believe he was at that particular time, reliving his feelings, and he surely wasn't proud of it....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 02-06-2019 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 12:31 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well, it is factual that he did nothing. And it's true that if he really wanted to, he could have forced the issue and made that happen.

His biggest crime? Telling his story. I get that he was trying to relate how trauma can impact human beings, but that just doesn't work for those who want to find racism wherever they want to find it.
What he said is racist, but just because it's racist that doesn't mean we need to tar and feather him. Racism is a human emotion, and part of the human condition. But in this society, racism is treated like some unspeakable taboo. It makes everyone uncomfortable even though everyone has racist thoughts, some act out their racism etc. We need to first demystify racism. Racism right now is treated as this gigantic moral failing that if one is guilty of - deserves no repentance. In effect, you have everyone denying being racist and also hurling that term around to 'wound' their opponents. It's ridiculous. Let's put racism back into context. It happens, everyone is guilty of it. Obviously not everyone is guilty of wanting to kill someone of a race due to a criminal sharing that race - but racism comes in many extremes, and we should be able to talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies