Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 05:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
What he said is completely irrelevant to whether Liam's thoughts were racist or not. What Liam Neeson was fantasizing about was racial violence. What Ralph Kirk described was religious violence. Perhaps somewhere in the brain, these two sources of vengeance have the same source, it doesn't change that in this case Neeson's thoughts were racist.

I don't know how you can sit there and deny that wanting to kill a random black man because his friend was raped by some other black man is anything other than racist. Try and logically write that one.
I've already explained my position on this earlier in the thread. Anger and rage are part of the process. Having ugly, dark thoughts, are not uncommon or unhealthy. ACTING on them would be.

He moved on from that stage without ever doing a thing to anybody. That's the important thing.

If you're this upset by this, then you're hypocritical in not being equally upset about rap music encouraging the killing of cops, which is even worse, because they're getting a message of violence out to impressionable people who WILL act on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 05:53 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I've already explained my position on this earlier in the thread. Anger and rage are part of the process. Having ugly, dark thoughts, are not uncommon or unhealthy. ACTING on them would be.
That's all well and fine. He did not act on his thoughts. That doesn't change the fact that his thoughts were racist.

Quote:
If you're this upset by this, then you're hypocritical in not being equally upset about rap music encouraging the killing of cops, which is even worse, because they're getting a message of violence out to impressionable people who WILL act on it.
I'm not upset about this. I don't really care for Neeson, and I don't care for the self-righteous people who are calling for him to be tarred and feathered.

But I call a spade a spade. His thoughts were racist. They cannot be described as anything else. I think we can use this for a broader discussion of course that won't happen in this political climate. Just a light of self-righteous finger pointing.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:59 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
He did nothing wrong. All the people that attacked him are doing many things wrong.

When a good person is wrongly accused and attacked, all good people come to his side and protect him. That's how the tables turn.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,575 times
Honestly what is wrong with you people, how can anyone claim to want to have an honest discussion about race if we're going to immediately demonize a man for sharing an honest uncomfortable truth about himself? He straight up admitted to harboring these racist feelings however many years ago.

Neeson said he was ashamed to admit that he harbored this sentiment, he was being honest, real and vulnerable. Do you think he's proud of it? Again, what the hell is wrong with all of you. Honestly, you know my view? He was actually brave for saying what he did. That's right, brave.

Do you really want to live in a society where no one can ever admit they did something wrong? That they once felt something that was less than virtuous? Can people not be redeemed? No, instead it seems that people would rather you admit that you did something terrible, and then once you did, apologize profusely and go away permanently. So we can effectively sweep all discomfort under the rug and go on living phony lives where everyone's perfect.

Maybe instead we should delve more into Neeson's past and try to understand him. We should be able to confront and talk about things that make us uncomfortable. The shame brigading that my dear fellow liberals love to do so much advances absolutely nothing in our society.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:24 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,613 times
Quote:
That's all well and fine. He did not act on his thoughts. That doesn't change the fact that his thoughts were racist.

Oh but he did act on his thoughts. He actively sought out conflict with "any" black male for multiple days, during which a minor altercation would have resulted in violence and possible murder. That it did not happen during that period was merely the result of chance not his own refrain.

With that said, it was 40 yrs ago and nothing happened. Cant justify railroading the guy out of town while someone like Mark Wahlberg still has a career.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:

I'm not upset about this. I don't really care for Neeson, and I don't care for the self-righteous people who are calling for him to be tarred and feathered.

But I call a spade a spade. His thoughts were racist. They cannot be described as anything else. I think we can use this for a broader discussion of course that won't happen in this political climate. Just a light of self-righteous finger pointing.
Repeating your narrative won't make it true. You can't even articulate why it's racist. And that's because...it's not.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:47 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
Repeating your narrative won't make it true. You can't even articulate why it's racist. And that's because...it's not.
Are you serious? I articulated it. Do you know how to read? If you don't know how to read you should't be posting on a message board where 50% of the activity is reading.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:40 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,912 times
Quote:

He moved on from that stage without ever doing a thing to anybody. That's the important thing.

They're completely oblivious to this concept. Forget about the fact that we don't act on explicit thoughts and beliefs we have everyday, these folks believe, absent any evidence, that we act upon implicit thoughts and beliefs. A whole, profitable racket has developed around this woo-woo.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:08 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,541 times
According to the thought police, in accordance with the courts of the media and urban public opinion, Liam Neeson is guilty of wrongthink.

There is no statute of limitations for wrongthink, and the punishment may extend past the natural life of the "convicted" offender.

It shall be noted that any judgement, feelings of ill will, impolite forms of address, or distant body language, perpetrated by a white heterosexual male, to any other person besides another white heterosexual male shall cause said person performing the aforementioned actions, in accordance with the courts of the media and urban public opinion, to be convicted of wrongthink.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:46 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,438,740 times
Quote:
What he said is completely irrelevant to whether Liam's thoughts were racist or not. What Liam Neeson was fantasizing about was racial violence. What Ralph Kirk described was religious violence. Perhaps somewhere in the brain, these two sources of vengeance have the same source, it doesn't change that in this case Neeson's thoughts were racist.

I don't know how you can sit there and deny that wanting to kill a random black man because his friend was raped by some other black man is anything other than racist. Try and logically write that one.
Racist is believe ing one race is superior over another.
Neeson isn't racist. Racist is scapegoating a particular race .
If an Asian , Caucasian, Muslim, or Republican man had committed this crime..that is who Neeson would have directed his rage. It was An eye for an eye feeling...as someone here commented on the period of time in Ireland known as the Troubles...of which Neeson was a byproduct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies