Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:29 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Pretty much this.

In what way is saying "I wanted an excuse to kill any 'black bastard' I saw because my friend was raped." NOT racist?

Are you smacking your head because you just realized you made up a statement, threw quotes around it and then attributed it to someone that didn't say that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:33 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
When experiencing a traumatic event first-hand or hearing about it second-hand, the reaction can bring out words/actions that a person would normally say/do. It is hard to be rational and composed when hearing that a close friend has been raped. The fact he admitted to it being wrong and regretting and not going out and murdering/severely hurting someone not involved in the original crime is something I see as commendable.

Now, in that situation and for that week, I do agree he had a racist mindset and that was cowardly wanting to take his anger out on an uninvolved party. I see such a situation as "temporary" or "situational" racism.
That's kinda how I see it. I don't know about the whole racism thing, people can be pretty tribal wanting to kick the butt of <insert ethnicity here> but regardless it was wrong. If we knew how he felt\reacted differently in cases of another race then that would clarify.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Plot twist: the rapist was Chinese.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:35 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,611,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, some dude named Mathguy wrote back in post #8 something to that effect.

I'm merely trying to help people understand that what he was saying wasn't that he was just looking for the first black person.
Yes, I had read your post where you differentiated between crossing him as in a random person in his path vs crossing him as in messing with him. His statement still stinks. Of course he’d fight back with ANYONE that crossed (provoked, attacked, messes with, etc) him—that would be self defense. So why the need to specify a black bastard?

Old 02-04-2019, 07:41 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
I just don't understand his thought process. I see being super upset and possibly having to hold yourself back from doing something illegal if he crossed the actual person who violated his friend; but I'm not understanding why he was looking to target any innocent black person (i.e the whole race). If she had told him that it was a white person who did it, would he have been ready to throw down on the next white person he could find to cross him? I didn't read the interview in-depth, but I don't know that he explained that. It seems what he was really trying to convey was that he had some deep-seated hatred for blacks, and he almost used the unfortunate situation as an excuse to act out on that.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Well, I’m pretty sure he had to have run across a lot of blacks. Why didn’t he do something?

Meh...I take it with a grain of salt. I have my doubts that he meant what he said.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:54 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Snowflakes are upset over an honest admission by Neeson.

However, Neeson should have darned well known that people were going to get upset in this hypersensitive day we live in, so it's on him. Seriously, he should have just kept his mouth shut, TMI. His statements served zero purpose.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/liam-...165255210.html

Definitely TMI. And what was the point in saying that, anyway, since he doesn't feel that way now?

Who does he think he is, Spike Lee?...Yeah, Spike Lee, who admits to being furious when he sees a black man with a white woman, and admits to looking daggers at them on the street.

Some people just have to shut up!

Old 02-04-2019, 08:15 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
Let's not forget that Darth Maul impaled him, so their is some punishment for those racist thoughts!

Old 02-04-2019, 08:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Humans have crazy thoughts and it's fine unless you do crazy actions.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:45 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Pretty much this.

In what way is saying "I wanted an excuse to kill any 'black bastard' I saw because my friend was raped." NOT racist?

Yes. Liam Neeson was stupid for being so honest about his thoughts. But he evolved from that situation. He was mad that his friend was raped and so the focus of his anger was the black man that raped her. Over time, his initial anger faded. And of the several weeks in wandered NYC for a black man to take his anger out on, he never found one who was an appropriate target. He obviously didn't want to beat on most black men, he was looking for one that looked like the kind of man that could rape a woman. So it seems to me, that during those weeks, the black men he saw looked like good men, and not the type to assault a woman.

Therefore, I don't consider Liam Neeson to be racist. He was only frustrated and angry that one of his close female friends was raped, and that man happened to be black. It was a very tribal instinct. And his initial reaction was basically... "an eye for an eye" one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies