Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:41 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Oh, I believe him. He grew up in a violent society, with murder happening almost daily. He is a big guy, who also did some boxing in his youth.

As a younger man, I would think he could have been a real handful. He wasn't looking to pick a random black guy to hurt. He was looking for a random black guy trying to hurt him, so he could take his anger out on that person.

Hand to hand, in his younger days, I have no doubt Liam Neeson could have been a danger. I knew Irishmen of his generation in my youth, and anger and violence was just under the surface, ready to blow at any slight.

I was in the British army, and I learned to avoid their company socially. They enjoyed violence, and a night out drinking wasn't complete without some. I thought they were nuts.
OMG, both of you're ridiculous. You sound like a bunch of kids: "my dad can beat up your dad, trust me".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 12:08 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
He did act out his racial hatred, yes. However, for whatever reason, he did not strike a Black person during that time (with the info we have).

Old 02-05-2019, 12:14 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
He did act out his racial hatred, yes. However, for whatever reason, he did not strike a Black person during that time (with the info we have).
If he didn't strike a black person, how did he act out his racial hatred?

Old 02-05-2019, 12:25 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's pretty cowardly to want to find some random stranger because someone else caused harm to a friend or family member. Now if he had found the actual perp and brought about some actual justice, that's one thing. But he becomes no better than the rapist when he wants to take out his anger on someone not involved in the original crime
Cowardly?
I would say that anger is what it is. Someone you really care about tells you that they have been brutalized. You will want some pay back. Logic or PC won't be part of the decision making.

We as a nation reacted just that way after 911 and after Pearl Harbor. We wanted some azz and didn't care whose.

Liam was wrong for wanting revenge that way, but it was a perfectly human response. Luckily he calmed down and didn't act upon it.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:29 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What does a potential rapist look like? You tell me.
Bill Clinton?
Bill Cosby?
I can keep going. But seriously you're right, the average rapist doesn't wear a T-shirt or wave a flag that proclaims their intent.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:35 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Snowflakes are upset over an honest admission by Neeson.

However, Neeson should have darned well known that people were going to get upset in this hypersensitive day we live in, so it's on him. Seriously, he should have just kept his mouth shut, TMI. His statements served zero purpose.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/liam-...165255210.html
I'm guessing he was trying to show that people can do something horrible in reaction to something, or that people can change.

It's not safe to be honest about race things these days. I hate racism and fully support the Af. American causes, voting rights act, and such. But it's getting to where people are villified or fired for a slip of the tongue or something they did decades ago that didn't physically hurt anyone and maybe wasn't intended to be hurtful (done out of youthful goofiness or ignorance).

I'm also a feminist who has suffered through unwanted pretty bad "attentions" from men in the past, but some of the allegations against men that I've seen are ridiculous and not something that I would call harassment or molestation or anything of the sort. Allegations like some I've seen lessen the importance of the serious allegations of real harassment or molestation.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:55 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Are you smacking your head because you just realized you made up a statement, threw quotes around it and then attributed it to someone that didn't say that?
It's pretty obviously a paraphrase of what Neeson said. Also, if you read the actual transcript or listen to the audio, Neeson doesn't actually say "cross". He says he walked up and down the streets with a "cosh" for about a week. Hoping some black dude would come out of a pub and "have a go" at him, so he could kill him.

Keep telling us how it's not a racist statement, though.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Yes, I had read your post where you differentiated between crossing him as in a random person in his path vs crossing him as in messing with him. His statement still stinks. Of course he’d fight back with ANYONE that crossed (provoked, attacked, messes with, etc) him—that would be self defense. So why the need to specify a black bastard?
Precisely. That's where Mathguy's justification falls apart.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well, I’m pretty sure he had to have run across a lot of blacks. Why didn’t he do something?

Meh...I take it with a grain of salt. I have my doubts that he meant what he said.
Oh, I fully doubt he ever meant to follow through on the fantasy, no. That doesn't make the mindset less stupid and racist. It was also exponentially more stupid to say it out loud to a reporter/journalist.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yes. Liam Neeson was stupid for being so honest about his thoughts. But he evolved from that situation. He was mad that his friend was raped and so the focus of his anger was the black man that raped her. Over time, his initial anger faded. And of the several weeks in wandered NYC for a black man to take his anger out on, he never found one who was an appropriate target. He obviously didn't want to beat on most black men, he was looking for one that looked like the kind of man that could rape a woman. So it seems to me, that during those weeks, the black men he saw looked like good men, and not the type to assault a woman.

Therefore, I don't consider Liam Neeson to be racist. He was only frustrated and angry that one of his close female friends was raped, and that man happened to be black. It was a very tribal instinct. And his initial reaction was basically... "an eye for an eye" one.
I have no idea if he is racist or not. I've never heard of him saying anything else that was overtly racist like this.

I'm sure Neeson is generally a good guy. THIS statement was still racist. Those two things can both be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies