Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 721 times

Advertisements

Career ending admission if u ask me . Something definitely off in his thought process . Feeling a rage over a friends rape but holding others accountable solely on their skin colour .

Sad and twisted .

I like his movies so let’s see if he gets boycotted .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 09:12 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Again, that's NOT WHAT HE SAID.

I even gave you guys examples that the word CROSSED does not mean crossed paths in his vernacular.

I then pointed out that if you can't find a black guy in New York after searching for a week that well, maybe you weren't REALLY trying to find one and kill one.

I'd encourage you to read the other posts in the thread and engage in a healthy dialogue.
I understand perfectly well the difference between "crossed" and "crossing paths." The thing is, he said he actually hoped to be crossed, thus giving him an excuse to take his revenge on an entire race. That is the problem here.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:33 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well, I’m pretty sure he had to have run across a lot of blacks. Why didn’t he do something?

Meh...I take it with a grain of salt. I have my doubts that he meant what he said.
Exactly, especially if you don't know who you are messing with. It could have very much turned out bad for him as well.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Definitely TMI. And what was the point in saying that, anyway, since he doesn't feel that way now?

Who does he think he is, Spike Lee?...Yeah, Spike Lee, who admits to being furious when he sees a black man with a white woman, and admits to looking daggers at them on the street.

Some people just have to shut up!
I agree, some things are best kept to yourself, there was no need to know.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:38 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Snowflakes are upset over an honest admission by Neeson.

However, Neeson should have darned well known that people were going to get upset in this hypersensitive day we live in, so it's on him. Seriously, he should have just kept his mouth shut, TMI. His statements served zero purpose.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/liam-...165255210.html
I can’t remember a time when it was ok to say something like that.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
I am so tired of everyone waiting for the next closeted "racist" to be outed.

Nothing to see here folks....move along.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:40 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's pretty cowardly to want to find some random stranger because someone else caused harm to a friend or family member. Now if he had found the actual perp and brought about some actual justice, that's one thing. But he becomes no better than the rapist when he wants to take out his anger on someone not involved in the original crime
That’s pretty much the definition of discrimination and profiling. Imagine some poor average joe getting his butt kicked by a secret agent man just because he’s black lol.

I know, not funny.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yes. Liam Neeson was stupid for being so honest about his thoughts. But he evolved from that situation. He was mad that his friend was raped and so the focus of his anger was the black man that raped her. Over time, his initial anger faded. And of the several weeks in wandered NYC for a black man to take his anger out on, he never found one who was an appropriate target. He obviously didn't want to beat on most black men, he was looking for one that looked like the kind of man that could rape a woman. So it seems to me, that during those weeks, the black men he saw looked like good men, and not the type to assault a woman.

Therefore, I don't consider Liam Neeson to be racist. He was only frustrated and angry that one of his close female friends was raped, and that man happened to be black. It was a very tribal instinct. And his initial reaction was basically... "an eye for an eye" one.

I didn't know a rapist had to look a certain way.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:50 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yes. Liam Neeson was stupid for being so honest about his thoughts. But he evolved from that situation. He was mad that his friend was raped and so the focus of his anger was the black man that raped her. Over time, his initial anger faded. And of the several weeks in wandered NYC for a black man to take his anger out on, he never found one who was an appropriate target. He obviously didn't want to beat on most black men, he was looking for one that looked like the kind of man that could rape a woman. So it seems to me, that during those weeks, the black men he saw looked like good men, and not the type to assault a woman.

Therefore, I don't consider Liam Neeson to be racist. He was only frustrated and angry that one of his close female friends was raped, and that man happened to be black. It was a very tribal instinct. And his initial reaction was basically... "an eye for an eye" one.
What does a potential rapist look like? You tell me.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:13 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times
I read what Liam Neeson had to say carefully. It was a brutally frank admission for sure. He was admitting how a desire for revenge can overtake rationality.

Neeson would have been about 16 years old, when the so called 'troubles' began in northern Ireland. He would have grown up in a small, enclosed society driven by thoughts of revenge. Killing for nothing more than revenge of previous killings would have been all around him at that time.

The Irish are vengeful people, and can be violent. They obsess, and brood on things that happened hundreds of years ago. I kid you not, I know.

Those years growing up would have marked Neeson. But he is an intelligent man, who left all that behind, and left that small, insular society, and went out into the world. But I have no doubt he would have had some violent encounters in his youth. He is a very imposing guy, 6' 4" tall.

He says he went out not to just pick out some random black man to attack. He went out, hoping some random black man would attack him, so he could take his anger out on that man in particular. That doesn't make it right, but his desire for revenge overtook rational thought.

He is not a third generation Irish American, marching on St. Patrick's Day. He is a product of his upbringing, and what he did and saw many decades ago.

During an interview, he revealed something dark within him, which he knew was wrong, and he regretted. I admire his honesty, but he may come to realise he should have kept it to himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies