Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 01:59 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Oh, but, perhaps you've never done anything wrong in your early life that your sorry for? I know I have....
I have. I didn't crow about it to the whole world at the time and I wouldn't do so now. If I got over it and I saw the error of my ways, then I no longer do whatever it is, which should be enough without me running out seeking credit for getting over it and seeing the error of my ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Friends of mine lost their son in a freak accident. His mom stayed in bed for a month. Does that sound like healthy behavior to you?
Nope. But, I'm also not condoning it or trying to explain it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 03:00 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I read what Liam Neeson had to say carefully. It was a brutally frank admission for sure. He was admitting how a desire for revenge can overtake rationality.

Neeson would have been about 16 years old, when the so called 'troubles' began in northern Ireland. He would have grown up in a small, enclosed society driven by thoughts of revenge. Killing for nothing more than revenge of previous killings would have been all around him at that time.

The Irish are vengeful people, and can be violent. They obsess, and brood on things that happened hundreds of years ago. I kid you not, I know.

Those years growing up would have marked Neeson. But he is an intelligent man, who left all that behind, and left that small, insular society, and went out into the world. But I have no doubt he would have had some violent encounters in his youth. He is a very imposing guy, 6' 4" tall.

He says he went out not to just pick out some random black man to attack. He went out, hoping some random black man would attack him, so he could take his anger out on that man in particular. That doesn't make it right, but his desire for revenge overtook rational thought.

He is not a third generation Irish American, marching on St. Patrick's Day. He is a product of his upbringing, and what he did and saw many decades ago.

During an interview, he revealed something dark within him, which he knew was wrong, and he regretted. I admire his honesty, but he may come to realise he should have kept it to himself.
brutally honest n very well said. thank you, repped you. there is no other logical way to look at this issue.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:37 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
I think he's toast. Events have already been canceled, and some are calling for him to be digitally removed from scenes in MIB. For crying out loud, he said he went out looking for trouble as an excuse to kill.

Here's an article by the reporter who interviewed him for the original piece where the sheet hit the fan. She as much as says that he volunteered that troublesome story, then it appears that he threatened her if she included it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8766836.html

Old 02-06-2019, 04:53 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Trayvon Martin ended up dead because he was a racist who thought it would be fun to beat the crap out of a "creepy cracker" and picked the wrong one.
Imagine thinking Trayvon Martin was racist.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:20 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
The difference is, in my opinion, is that Jada Pinkett Smith did not pick up a weapon and go looking for blonde white girls to batter; nor did your acquaintance pick up a baseball bat and go out hoping to find black men to "kill". I don't see how anyone could fault either lady for their feelings, but they did not take any active steps to go out and harm people who shared skin color/hair color with those those who wronged them.
And really, neither did Liam Neeson. He had bad thoughts. He was a young man, born in a violent revenge culture. He didn’t act on it, and he’s grown from it. Young angry men do things that I would never think to do. I remember when my dad died and wondered how this was going to affect my youngest brother, only 20 at the time (I was in my mid-30s). My older brother-in-law told me he would probably be very angry at the world because that’s how young men react to grief. He was a medical doctor so knew what he was talking about. Sure enough, my brother was very angry at the world, got in fights, etc. Call it toxic masculinity if you want. It happens.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:57 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Many people refer to their wife as a good friend.
Quote:
No, I'm sure he's referring to the person as a good friend. I just think it may be his wife and something they never shared with the public.

Couldn't that be possible?

Ok, I went back and watched the interview. It was the close friend that died 5 years ago and it wasn't his wife because she died back in 2009.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
not much of a difference. neeson didn't take any active steps either.
I agree. I can't believe how some people interpret things.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Ok, I went back and watched the interview. It was the close friend that died 5 years ago and it wasn't his wife because she died back in 2009.
Thanks, Fitzy.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:14 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Thanks, Fitzy.
No problem.

For the posters that say Liam's career is finished...I don't think so.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:20 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Liam Neeson will be fine. Frankly I appreciate his honesty and candor about how he felt 40 years ago.

Nothing to see here folks. Let's move it along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies