Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 11:02 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's telling that the one thing that wasn't asked on the poll is "If you had to pay a 60% tax rate on your income, would you still want "single payer" health care?"

Everyone wants "free chit"-so long as someone else has to pay for it.
I haven’t read the Harris Poll yet.

Did they ask Seniors if they wanted to give up Medicare to go into a “One size fits all system” more like Medicaid? Single Payer gets rid of all Private Insurance, all Employer Insurance, all Union Negotiated Insurance.

Were those addressed in the poll? People ready to give up all that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 11:02 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but see, these plans take the cost OFF the employer, and put it directly on the employee(taxpayer)…..

for example currently you pay 500 a month...your 500/month is 25% of the actual premium..your employer is paying 1500/month for you ... no more employer contribution
And if the employer is fair, they will put that 1500 savings into your salary so your total compensation is the same, right?

The Chamber of Commerce and business alliances should all be clamoring for Medicare For All to get the monkey of healthcare off their backs. Business should focus on business, not providing healthcare for their employees.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:05 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So that reverts to cancer being a death sentence for everyone but multi-millionaires, which it will bankrupt in a short amount of time.
Hate to break it to you, but cancer doesn't know if you have money or not. I've known two people with pancreatic cancer...one a millionaire, one not. Their both gone. Being a millionaire doesn't make you immune to the destruction of cancer.....

Old 02-08-2019, 11:05 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Yes, employer provided health care puts our companies at a big disadvantage when trying to compete with a similar company in a country that does not do so.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but cancer doesn't know if you have money or not. I've known two people with pancreatic cancer...one a millionaire, one not. Their both gone. Being a millionaire doesn't make you immune to the destruction of cancer.....

Of course. But some of it is treatable. At expenses over a million/year.

In a pure for profit out of your pocket system. Who can afford that?

Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I haven’t read the Harris Poll yet.

Did they ask Seniors if they wanted to give up Medicare to go into a “One size fits all system” more like Medicaid? Single Payer gets rid of all Private Insurance, all Employer Insurance, all Union Negotiated Insurance.

Were those addressed in the poll? People ready to give up all that?
I have insurance through my employer. Yes, I will give it up for coverage for all.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
So hypothetically here.... An item costs X but the price is lowered by 10%. But... I've paid an annual dues of 30% to join the club. If I use the club enough in my purchases it might be a fiscally sound decision to have purchased that membership. If I don't use the club enough to justify the membership I'm screwed. Sounds like what you want is Costco Health Insurance to me....... I don't want to join the club.
I take it you never had health insurance.

I have insurance, and pay for others every month although I rarely use any services myself.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:12 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
And if the employer is fair, they will put that 1500 savings into your salary so your total compensation is the same, right?

The Chamber of Commerce and business alliances should all be clamoring for Medicare For All to get the monkey of healthcare off their backs. Business should focus on business, not providing healthcare for their employees.
It is such an outdated system. And it causes a lot of stress among workers, will the insurance change this year, do I have to find another company with better plans, what about a layoff, will I get fired if I get sick, what happens if I age out and get replaced because I'm too expensive to insure, and some people feel trapped in jobs because they are afraid to lose their (currently) good plan.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:13 AM

6,246 posts, read 3,415,245 times
Quote:
32% prefer universal gov't payer healthcare plus private insurance supplement
26% prefer universal gov't payer healthcare with an option to opt out of private insurance
13% prefer universal gov't payer healthcare and abolish private insurance

15% prefer abolish all government healthcare, go 100% private
14% prefer the status quo

Pretty strong support for some form of Medicare For All.
What is the poll result when asking about paying for it when the public sees the actual cost of Universal health care....I believe it drops to the opposite side.

New Poll: Medicare for All Is Popular Until You Explain How It Works

Quote:
But the more revealing part of the survey, I think, comes from the questions focused on the costs of single payer, all of which caused support for Medicare for All to drop below 40 percent. Told that it would eliminate private health insurance and require people to pay more in taxes, for example, support fell to 37 percent. Told that it would cause some medical treatments and tests to be delayed, support dropped even further, to 26 percent.
https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/24/n...r-all-is-popul

Old 02-08-2019, 11:18 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
"I reject the idea that single payer is impossible, I reject the idea that universal healthcare is impossible. All of these things are possible." -- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

I love her attitude. This is the American "can do" spirit than built the Hoover Dam and took us to the moon that is so rarely heard these days. It is beyond sad that Americans have become so negative and cynical. If she represents the future of America I am optimistic.
And what was the main motivation to go to the moon?, profit. Profit in the sense of beating the Russians and winning the cold war.

And why has manned exploration lagged since? Because it costs so much to do.

It's easy to claim "let's go to Mars we can do it!" But when you add up the cost to do it, well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies