Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,218,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
May be, but be aware that since the Klan and the Neonazis co-opted it, it has become a symbol of racism and hatred, and is flown at joint rallies of the two groups alongside big red flags with Swastikas. It does not have the same conotatioon today that it did in 1865.

Reenactments are wonderful things. They remind us that the Union will survive in spite of mass treason.
You sure are a hateful person.

How many KKK members are even in America?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-ma...america-really

"The KKK counts between 5,000 and 8,000 members nationwide... That would make them less than 0.003 percent of the population."

Oh boo hoo.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:49 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,238,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so if those groups take the American flag for their rallies that means they own the flag and we must change it and disown it? LMAO!!!!!!

A few racist Mexicans and racist gang bangers use the Mexican flag and symbol to represent their group, should all Mexicans disown the flag now?

for many natives the American flag is a symbol of oppression and theft of their lands....should we stop using our flag because of the feelings of a minority?
If you fly it, you stand at risk of being considered to be one of them, tarred with the same brush.

Sorry. That's just how things work. Like peace symbols and MAGA hats.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:52 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,785,631 times
You know I wonder how many of you would lose (have lost) your minds on a thread about abusing the American flag? I mean, it doesn’t really represent anything, just a quaint relic of days gone by. People just keep it around as a remembrance of their heritage. Right?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
This thread is full of butt hurt idiots who care a whole lot so you're obviously wrong.

Which states or municipalities fly the Confederate flag?
I can only speak for myself. I'm a northerner. None of my relatives were from the south.

I'm not hurt at all that people love their confederate flag. Just don't think we all have to pretend it's about southern pride and it's in no way related to slavery.

Beyonce couldn't even wear black and raise her fist after a number without people calling her a racist but you want people to believe the confederate flag.....representing a confederacy formed to protect slavery....has nothing to do with slavery?

Personally, I don't drink enough to fall for that.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:56 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,301,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Except you didn't present any facts. Plus you're wrong too often so why give your comment any credibility?

The republicans didn't control the Southern congress until the 1990s. The less racist the south became, the more republican it became. Don't let the truth sway you.
Your opinion is not the truth.

Speaking of opinion, how about the opinion of a man who was a prominent Republican in Illinois for 44 years, before becoming a Democrat after 1 year as an Independent. Bob Schneider’s family had been Republican loyalists in Illinois since the beginning of the Republican Party.

In this article from 2017, the the reasons he finally left the Republican Party:

Quote:
Why I left the GOP:

Hate and paranoia have become an ideological principle in the GOP.The common view is the poor are thieves and stealing taxpayer's money.* They point to social programs as having failed to end poverty.* Social programs are not designed to end poverty.* They are designed to keep you alive while an individual tries to find another pathway in life.

They hate education.* Their steadfast crusade to end public education, to deny it money is an attack on our future.* I went to public schools, including a public university.* I received a good education, from dedicated teachers and professors.* That should be preserved and not torn to shreds.

They are trade protectionists and isolationists. *This is the final betrayal of Ronald Reagan.

They blame the victims.* In fact, they have a false victimhood that they are actually the victims of the poor.* They point to a mother on food stamps with an iPhone in her hand as "evidence" of theft.* Did they ever stop to think that maybe a family member in better circumstances gave her that iPhone?
With competition, which the GOP claims is a very conservative idea, the prices on smartphones have dropped dramatically along with the cost of service.* Why shouldn't a poor person have access to the rest of the world?* Their view that I've read a hundred times if I have read it once. *The resentment of the poor only continues the poverty and despair of the poor.

The GOP hates the poor.* They are only interested in self.* Everything with the GOP today is "I."* There is no "we" in their dialogue. *In the GOP rant about the poor, they go out of their way to admonish the poor for being poor.* They treat them without dignity and try to destroy all hope for the poor.

The GOP is xenophobic.* The day we lose the melting pot is the day we lose America.*
Education is the key to ending poverty.* See my comment above about the GOP views on education.

The GOP is overtly racist and unapologetic for it. **They can talk about how much they love Israel but that doesn't stop them from being anti-semitic.* They love the Jews "over there," but the Jews under their very noses?* Not so much.* This week, I have been told I am a **** which is not a term of endearment and told there is an oven with my name on it. *I belong in an oven because I don't agree with conservatives. *That sums up today's GOP.
Senator Toi Hutchinson, a Democratic State Senator has been called vile names, and references to her death have been common.* I was told by a member of the GOP just today that "that's just average citizens voicing an opinion."* You can read his comment by clicking this link, then read the comments at the bottom of the article. A day after publication, I'm still getting hate mail.

Here’s his reasons for finally becoming a Democrat.

Quote:
Why I'm joining the Democratic Party:

I am opposed to racism.* I abhor racism, bigotry, and antisemitism.* It is not "just an opinion" by "average citizens."* It is a vile practice that is to be stood against whenever, and wherever it happens.* The GOP is giving safe haven to the racists who flocked to the party after President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act.* Based on a principle of human dignity, the Democratic Party said goodbye to the racists and they ran into the outstretched arms of the GOP.

The Democratic Party may not agree, but they listen.* The far left is rigid and dogmatic but the average Democrat may not agree with you but they will listen to what you have to say.* I am pro business, and so is the Democratic Party.* It is now the home of Free Trade.* The GOP is now the home of trade protectionism.
The Democratic Party does not hate science.** They recognize throwing what we throw in the air and water will kill us all eventually.* Richard Nixon knew that too which is why he pushed for and signed into law the Clean Air and established the EPA.* As a result, the Great Lakes are no longer in danger of catching on fire as they were in the 60s and 70s.* There are no more killer smogs that took lives.* For younger Republicans google killer smog and see what we used to contend with. *It was a problem Richard Nixon fixed, and now you are trying to break it again.

The Democratic Party supports collective bargaining.* I can't say I am in love with Unions, I am not in love with them.* However, I am in love with the Constitution of the USA and collective bargaining is a right under the First Amendment of the Constitution.* I support that right for the same reason I support the right to own a firearm under the Second Amendment of the Constitution.* If we find a way of end running any Amendment then we have just made the Constitution a meaningless document.

The Democratic Party believes everyone is entitled to dignity. The GOP is wrong on Healthcare along with nearly all social issues. *Their proposals strip the poor, the elderly, and minorities of basic human dignity.
This was not an easy step.* In the 80s, I was an advocate of trickle- down economics as the solution to our economic ills.* It is hard to admit I was wrong.* The theory sounds nice, but as evidence has shown, it is a myth.* Educated Republicans understand income distribution is out of whack and are seeking ways of correcting the ill.* They are running up against the rank ignorance brought into the party and exploited by the party.
I spoke with a relative who is still solid GOP and he acknowledged all my concerns as being factual.* He asked me to stay in the party and fight for its soul.* There is nothing left to fight for.* His comment about a soul was interesting.* That is the problem with the GOP.* It has lost its soul.
It has no compassion, it has no empathy, it is just a collection of self-centered individuals who care about nothing outside of their own lives.* There is not a bigger picture, there is only self-absorption with the GOP.
I'll pass on the GOP.* As far as I am concerned, write its eulogy.

Will I be welcomed into the Democratic Party with open arms?* That is highly doubtful.* Like the GOP, they are wary and suspicious of anyone who was not born into the party.* I won't be trusted, I won't be given party responsibilities or jobs as I was with the GOP.* What I do care about is I will have a voice in the debate.* As a member of the party, they can't exclude me.* My voice will be heard.* From what I have experienced so far, excluding people is a GOP move for control and not something the Democrats tend to do.
I am now a Democrat.* As I look at the words, there is a tinge of remorse and sadness.* Sad because of what the GOP that I spent a lifetime serving has become.** As I look at the words, I also realize I have recaptured my soul.* That is not a statement the GOP can truthfully make.
I pray they can recapture it one day, but I don't think I will see it in my lifetime.* You have to have empathy to have a soul.
http://www.chicagonow.com/politics-n...ocratic-party/

Remember, this is from a man whose family were Republicans from the beginning of the Republican Party. It’s not that he has grown more liberal. The Republican Party has become so extreme and strayed so far from its original principles, he can no longer be a part of it.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 02-10-2019 at 06:23 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 05:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,416,255 times
His theory is that racists flocked to the party that pushed the Civil Rights Acts. The white racist Democrats started voting GOP with Nixon even though Nixon was for civil rights.

The racist Democrats didn't notice Robert Byrd and Al Gore Sr were Democrats filibustering the civil rights act.

And all of those racist Democrats all of a sudden gave up their FDR New Deal / LBJ Great Society liberalism to be a Republican.

That's not a very good theory.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You sure are a hateful person.

How many KKK members are even in America?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-ma...america-really

"The KKK counts between 5,000 and 8,000 members nationwide... That would make them less than 0.003 percent of the population."

Oh boo hoo.
I grew up with a step-grandfather and two uncles who were robe wearing members of the Klan. They are all dead now, and good riddance. In 1865 there may have been room for some discussion, but in 1965 there was not. They would spit on the ground, look you in the eye, and tell you they would love to be able to kill ******s on sight. All of them had CBFs displayed in their dens, and wished may time the South had won so they could realize their dreams.

My Father spent four years of WWII in Germany, France, and Austria fighting Nazis. If he was still around, he would be happy to pick up his Garand again and pick up where he left off in 1944.

Today the Klan, with declining numbers, has aligned itself with the Neonazis ( a group that can't even seem to all find brown shirts that match), and their favorite rags fly side-by-side at rallies. They are dedicated to white supremacy and hatred. Explain to me, please, why it is you chose to muster a defense of the Klan? I find that curious in someone who labels me as "hateful".

Old 02-10-2019, 06:01 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,278,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don’t care about Latin America. I care about the United States.

And yes, poor whites in the South (the overwhelming majority of whites) saw owning a slave as something to strive for like owning a Mercedes today. It was a serious hike in status.

Slaves weren’t expensive to own at all. They paid for themselves quite well. Food? They fed them scraps. Clothes? Burlap rags and footwear that barely qualified as shoes. Medical attention? Don’t make me laugh. Training? What training? Being a picker or laborer? Stop it. If you’re talking about complex artisan crafts like chimney makers, farmers or blacksmiths, slaves already dominated those trades in the South. Most white dirt farmers had no technical skills worth passing along outside of farmwork. And slaves didn’t need training for that. They’d been doing it since they were knee high to a duck.

If slaves were so burdensome financially, why did white slave owners go absolutely bat**** crazy when one escaped and were willing to pay steep bounties to get them back dead or alive?

So yes. White southerners were obsessed with owning a slave for status and sexual aspects.

There are tons of stories of slave owners that gathered their slaves at the end of the war to tell them that they were free, and then the slave owner had an immediate stroke or heart attack right after that because losing all those slaves left them distraught and despondent. They couldn’t go on in life without exploiting other people. They had no Will to live.

to understand slavery in the Americas as you do then you have to understand history at the moment as the bigger picture and not focus only in the American South. The U.S. inherited slavery from the British, Spaniards and French......What went down in the South, happened in all the European colonies in the Americas at a higher rate and the majority in those colonies didn't own slaves or didn't dream of having slaves. Most of them were worried about eating and growing their own crops for survival and surviving deadly diseases and hunger that cut short the life expectancy of them.

Why would you buy a slave and not take care of him? so for them to get sick and die and your investment goes down the drain? back then life expectancy wasn't high. Only wealthy people could buy slaves and take care of them. They had the lands and resources to put them to work and feed them and take care of them.

it's like buying a truck, horse or a machine to work on your lands and not taking care of it, how long your investment will last?

for a guy that is alive in 2019, you sure know a lot about white people in the South from the 1800s of their dreams and sexual desires. LOL

Old 02-10-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
You know I wonder how many of you would lose (have lost) your minds on a thread about abusing the American flag? I mean, it doesn’t really represent anything, just a quaint relic of days gone by. People just keep it around as a remembrance of their heritage. Right?
No. That is the flag of the Union called the "United States", appropriately enough. Our Constitution gives us the right to abuse it by burning it, wearing it as clothing, using it on beach towels and shower curtains and, and allowing it to hang from poles on our front porches until it rots off and falls to the ground. Most people do not notice or care about the disrespect of the Stars and Bars, because it means nothing to them outside a political context.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:07 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,278,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If you fly it, you stand at risk of being considered to be one of them, tarred with the same brush.

Sorry. That's just how things work. Like peace symbols and MAGA hats.

works for you not for the rest of us....that is generalizing negatively a group by your own bias and prejudice. Many people around the world view the American flag as negative.......I could care less about what they think of me if I wear it or fly it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies