Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 02:32 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If you must be "forced" to save, you deserve to be poor.
That ^. WTH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 02:40 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
without typical republican name calling (dummy?)
I'll respond that I DID make more, I DID pay more...

I ALSO PAID A HIGHER PERCENTAGE THAN PAST YEARS.

key word = percentage.
Um... yeah... That's how the progressive federal income tax system works in the US. The higher your income, the higher your effective federal income tax rate. HOW does anyone not know that?

According to the latest federal income tax data reported by the IRS, this is the average effective federal income tax rate paid by each income group:

Top 0.1%: 27.05%
Top 1%: 26.87%
Top 1%-5%: 23.49%
Top 5%-10%: 14.05%
Top 10%-25%: 10.71%
Top 25%-50%: 7.81%
Bottom 50% 3.73%

Data source: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/16in01etr.xls and https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/16in02etr.xls

Old 02-12-2019, 02:40 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
without typical republican name calling (dummy?)
I'll respond that I DID make more, I DID pay more...

I ALSO PAID A HIGHER PERCENTAGE THAN PAST YEARS.

key word = percentage.
Of course you did. You made more money. It's not hard to figure out that you went into another tax bracket. You made more, you're going to pay a higher percentage. That's what the left has been bleating about for years, and here you are, making more, paying more. That's exactly how it works.

Why did you think that you were exempt from that?

Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
So I guess it's fair to say if I were to read one of your listings (on paper of course since a highly principled person such as yourself would never be party to using the internet to conduct business which is/was in large part developed by universities and other publicly funded institutions) I'd never find an amenity on a property you stand to get a commission on with descriptions such as "close to schools" or "close to parks" because that would just render your statements as disingenuous jive unless of course all those perks were privately financed.
We are dealing with what we do have compared to what we SHOULD have. So yes, a listing would reference the inferior public version that we now have instead of the spectacular private version that would exist in a projected alternate capitalist reality.

And the Internet that would exist today had my system been in place since 1900 would be operated through mind control. You have no idea how backward and stupid our present world is compared to the one that would exist had we ever adopted rational and ethical laissez-faire capitalism. A system which has never come close to actually being tried.

And, thanks to the present zombie march of vicious, hateful, envious, left-wing statist collectivist automatons, will probably never be tried. To our eternal discredit.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The 90% top rate was reduced by Kennedy to 71% and LBJ to 70%.
Question remains. Was IKE "bad" for having a 90% rate?

Your figures are off a bit, but....my guess is people think 70% is "bad", so what's the diff?

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/stat...come-tax-rates

1963 = 91%

70% under Nixon and friends.

I don't remember people complaining....because no one paid it.

ANother way to put it is that rates are currently among the lowest they have been in 80 years. And, we are not paying the bills. What is wrong with this picture?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:01 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Interest on HELOC is NOT local/state.

It didn't affect me but I'm sure it was a huge hit on a lot of middle class tax payers.
Quote:
However, if the taxpayer used the home equity loan proceeds for personal expenses, such as paying off student loans and credit cards, then the interest on the home equity loan would not be deductible.
see above

Old 02-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I got back a whopping $129 on my Federal but it is hard to compare apples to apples since I made quite a bit more than I did in 2017 and also claimed 2 exemptions instead of 1. Came out pretty even.
in 2017 your total taxable income (all taxable sources; before any deduction) was:
in 2017 your total tax liability was:

do the same for 2018.

did your taxes (tax rate) increase, or decrease?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Would you have consider IKE a radical lefty? How about Nixon? Ford?

All had 90% top Federal Income rates during their entire reigns....which was a LONG time.

The country has gone so far right that IKE and NIXON now look far left. Consider that.
have you seen research on what the net tax rate was, after applying tax code, loopholes, etc?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
have you seen research on what the net tax rate was, after applying tax code, loopholes, etc?
No one paid it. Just like it would be with 50 or 70% rates now.

"no one" meaning none of us.

Rick Scott would likely pay it on some of his income.

Weren't we closer to a balanced budget in those days? If so, you don't have to research anything...it obviously worked, loopholes and all.

I like a simplified system - but it has to raise enough money to do the job.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, his Admin will just have to go on a massive campaign to educate the perpetually stupid.

HOW on earth do people not get that having less withheld from one's paychecks throughout the year means one's tax refund at the end of the year will be smaller? Is most of the country really that mathematically illiterate? /SMH
based on this thread and my twitter feed, yes. They really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies