Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 06:04 PM

17,631 posts, read 6,914,908 times

Advertisements

No sympathy from me. The liberals in Seattle made this bed now they can lie in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 06:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Good points 3 Wolves. Seattle needs to pull its head out.

Just a few days ago I was sitting at the table with my daughters and I said I could take the GKs to Seattle if the weather stayed nice. They shot it down right there. They hadn't been to Seattle much lately but they apparently had heard things. They flat out don't want the little ones in this environment. They don't want them to think this is NORMAL.

I get down in Seattle proper and the southern parts regularly and no one is going to tell me it isn't becoming a pit.

The reasons are many but the 2 biggest reasons are an apparently INSANE city council and the police are completely neutered.

The drug problem is OUT OF CONTROL.

Just TODAY I was in Belltown. There was a Seattlite WHO WAS NOT HOMELESS who was wearing a very expensive dress and jacket so stoned out of her mind she couldn't punch in the right code to get into her condo complex. Me and a guy (an equipment operator) watched her try for 5 minutes before someone from inside the building came and let her in, or more like helped her in. He said she's been passed out in front of the door the other day. She lost her eyeballs and fell over trying to find them.

Just out of curiosity I walked down to 2nd ave and around the block past the Army Navy Store, that area. I saw 3 very obviously high people, one passed out in a doorway.

Not a cop in sight. Not a single soul cared.

I can go on but I won't.
I finally had time to watch the entire video. The reporter and cops and other people who are concerned are correct when they say that the city pretends it's a "homeless" problem, and not a drug problem.

As I said earlier, Seattle has always had a problem with drugs. You saw it on the streets here and there, (and I found it no surprise when half the places they showed were either 1st, 2nd, 3rd on Pike or Pine, or Pioneer Square...but was a bit surprised at how it is under the viaduct by the piers. I mean, it always smelled like pee, but now there's tents all over the place and huge piles of trash that were not there before), but it wasn't this big of a problem, and most people kept it to their homes or at a bar. Seattle didn't have that many people falling over, completely trashed, unable to stand, using the public sidewalk as a bathroom, and even the homeless that were there - which were enough as it was - weren't out there screaming at everyone.

In another thread, someone brought up how jails/prisons are medicating inmates who need it, and when I said that we need to bring back institutions because just as that reporter said, these people need help - ignoring the problem is not "compassionate", and claiming that the reason for it is "because of homelessness" and "lack of housing" is also not "compassionate" - these people need serious help - I was told it was impossible because it violates their rights.

We used to have drunk tanks - where we took people who were so blitzed out of their minds. On First Hill, I lived right across the street from one of those drunk tanks. It was nestled in with all of the nice apartment buildings. They would either stay the night until they sobered up, or if they were alcoholics (which most were), they were weaned off of that alcohol. For an alcoholic, you have to do that a certain way, but they were held there even though they didn't want to be there.

Hell, even hospitals won't let you leave of your own free will if they think that by letting you leave you would be a danger to yourself.

Why can't we have institutions. We have mentally ill people all over this country. No one is helping them - unless someone wants to use it as some badge of their alleged "victimhood" with some designer mental illness, not some mental illness that really affects with a person's reality or makes them dangerous. Why can't people who are so strung out on drugs on the streets be taken off the streets and into an institution, where they are kept for their own safety while they work through a program to get off the drugs. In the culture of liberal Seattle - as it was when I lived there - everyone wanted to be free to do all the drugs they wanted without repercussion. Welp, you're getting it, Seattle.

All these people want all drugs to be legal - you better hope your cities have a plan for when the shtf.

Seattle is demonstrating exactly what not to do.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think it is an interesting tactic to search out problem areas that folks think are primarily Democrat.

Wouldn't you think a more effective approach would be to highlight what these folks think is the ideal urban areas to live in?

If you love where you live -- love it. If you don't move.

But please -- don't show your ignorance by trying to trash somewhere you don't live.
Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, OR, and Seattle are well known for their issues, especially with drugs and people living on the streets. Those are all primarily Democrat.

The reporter for this story is from Seattle, lives in Seattle (or in one of the areas that surrounds it which with the urban sprawl, it's all packed together), and KOMO news is in Seattle. He was talking about the issues with the city that he lives and works in.

You know what would be more effective? Not coming on here and saying, "Oh yah? Well what about these cities in Republican areas?" Because that shows me that one would rather close their eyes to a problem instead of admitting that the city's policies are NOT working, and you can't give everyone a free ride to do whatever the hell they want. That is happening in the aforementioned cities that I put up there. Does it happen in other cities and towns? I'm sure it does. Does it happen to this extent? Make a thread and throw it on here.

This thread is about Seattle - a very liberal city. We've had threads about Los Angeles, a very liberal city. We've had threads about San Fransisco, an extremely far left city. Those who want to point out what they consider "Republican" areas can start threads on those areas.

Seattle USED TO BE a pretty ideal place to live in if you could stand the incessant liberalness that ran through it, because that has always been there, front and center, and you can't escape it if you live there.

I am trashing on Seattle because I have lived there. I lived there for over a decade. What that reporter investigated and put up for us to watch, is absolutely nothing like the Seattle I lived in. And I lived on First Hill for the first few years, just a block away from Pike and Pine, and very short walking distance to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd avenues where most of this stuff was filmed. I worked in the downtown area for awhile. When I moved to West Seattle, I took the water taxi over to the piers and biked up to my job - right there, right where you can see under the Alaskan Way Viaduct that now shows tents all over the place, garbage piles that are high. It never looked like that when I lived there, so I will trash on it all I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Back in the 90's, Tacoma DID have a high murder rate. The Hilltop neighborhood had a really bad reputation, much worse than anything in Seattle.

I mean, yeah, there are absolutely other factors. But demographics are definitely a big influence.
Absolute truth. You didn't go to Hilltop unless you lived in Hilltop or you were going there for drugs.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:58 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
I just watched this wonderful documentary. It's infuriating! There is hope if the mayor and entire city council are voted out of office. Then maybe they will implement the Rhode Island model. Also found it very important that true homelessness which involves people who lost jobs and aren't on drugs or crazy was distinguished from drug addiction and mental illness. Drug addiction is the big problem here with trash, disease and crime.

But can anyone tell me who benefits from having this mess in their cities? It's always down to money. Who is getting the money?

Old 03-22-2019, 09:43 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
I live in Olympia, 18 miles from Lewis/JBLM and worked on Lewis/Camp Murray for a very long time. The weather variance is huge in just that span of distance.

Temps will vary 5 degrees easily to the cooler side and rainfull is nearly 10" more for Olympia.
Puget Sound region has its own microclimates. Many people don't realize this.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
No sympathy from me. The liberals in Seattle made this bed now they can lie in it.
Most cities are liberal. Many don't have this level of drugs and homelessness.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:01 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
“Liberalism is what made it cost so much to begin with...â€
How so?

What liberal policies pushed up the rents to the extent that lower income people couldn’t afford to live there?
I thought liberals were against the free market.
How did they allow these landlords to price people out of their homes?
Would conservative policies have saved them?

Here’s an idea.
Do you think it might have had something to do with those great-paying jobs that are attributed to Amazon and all of the employees that had/have to be housed?
Isn’t this the free market at work?

Isn’t this what y’all think NYC lost out on?

Seattle is trying to solve some of their problems.
Guess who is trying to block them at every turn.
Why that free market y’all are so enamored of.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...on-tax/560411/
what liberal policies....ever increasing taxes, especially property tax

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-them-to-move/

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...or-nationwide/

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenew...n-13665476.php

Old 03-22-2019, 10:19 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Oh well, that's for Seattle to work on. Their monkeys, their circus.

Things go in cycles. I remember when NYC got all anti-crime after being so fed up with it.

People want safety and security and will eventually revolt at the ballot box for those that provide that.

As for cheaper housing etc. it would seem that Seattle has been caught flat footed in keeping up with the necessary rail/road infrastructure to allow people to commute in a reasonable amount of time from lower cost areas.

Long commute times may be "normal" to some of you but it has a terrible impact on working families. Especially those with young children etc. The time away from family is bad enough but factor in the additional 3 hours or so of daycare either before or after (or both) school etc. and that 15 hours a week x $10-20 per kid can quickly turn into an amount that would cover a nice house payment in many other parts of the US.

Throw in how common it is for single parents these days and I cannot fathom how one can live like that having gone through it myself but with a commute of <15minutes.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:24 AM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I just watched this wonderful documentary. It's infuriating! There is hope if the mayor and entire city council are voted out of office. Then maybe they will implement the Rhode Island model. Also found it very important that true homelessness which involves people who lost jobs and aren't on drugs or crazy was distinguished from drug addiction and mental illness. Drug addiction is the big problem here with trash, disease and crime.

But can anyone tell me who benefits from having this mess in their cities? It's always down to money. Who is getting the money?
That's an easy question to answer,

The drug dealers.

Bob.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:52 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b53u...&feature=share

"Worth watching. Free-attle: Another beautiful American city the Left has destroyed."

America is starting to look like a third world country. So sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's like this in most of those Democrat plantations.

Most of the Dem 2020 candidates are gassing it to see which of them can go full Banana Republic the fastest.

A race to the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies