Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Maryann White right about her concerns about 'leggings', as discussed below?
Yes 27 25.96%
No 77 74.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 07:50 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Women do not have to be "modest" to be treated with respect.
They don't "have" to be, but as a female myself, I find it very difficult to respect another female who walks around looking like trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 08:08 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not one that believes in "slippery slope," bc that is why humans have reasonsble judgment- to use it.

But I wonder where the "women should be modest" people draw the line. How about people control themselves rather than trying to control people who are not doing anything harmful/dangerous.

I swear, I hear so much about what women should do and never anything about how men should just effin behave.
Yep. If she’s worried she needs to have a chat with her SONS about appropriate behavior on their parts. Why we don’t hold men responsible for their behavior and blame it on women instead is beyond me. It’s like some believe the wife beater whose defense is “She made me do it”.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:16 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They don't "have" to be, but as a female myself, I find it very difficult to respect another female who walks around looking like trash.
Why do you find it difficult? What if you couldn't see the other person and were having a wonderful conversation with them and then they showed themselves and you considered them to be trashy looking? Would it negate the wonderful conversation just because of their physical appearance?
Aren't you ever worried you might miss making connections with people because you judged them from appearances alone? I'm genuinely curious about this.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:23 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Nobody is proposing the banning of leggings. So let's just get that out of the way right from the start.

But can they reasonably be regarded as immodest and as possibly helping to promote a view of women as a body and not as a person, as many feminists might in other circumstances insist is important for women?

Maryann White seems to think so:

It seems to me that these are kind of trashy looking. Of course if you are an student of anatomy and are interested in examining the women wearing these garments from that perspective, perhaps that makes some sort of sense.

Is the word "modesty" now rejected and despised by the purveyors of the Democrat left "Political correctness" mandatory thought and speech codes? They can take those and stick them, well, you know where, at least as far as I am concerned. If the very suggestion that some modicum of modesty is desirable is considered objectionable by these people, that is really a sad and undesirable state of affairs.

Women, you do better than this. Can't you?

Eh, the mom is just mad she is past her prime and no young guys are checking her out. Now she has to live out her fantasies watching 50 Shades with her cooter scooter. She has heard a few too many vapid feminist rants lately, and now she's hating on much hotter and much younger women in leggings.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
I don't mind the leggings

I really like it when they show up in cowboy chaps. I know they are ready to ride.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:32 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
I like your style.

Leggings mom should be careful, I would encourage all the young women at Notre Dame to skip the leggings and put on some cheerleader style micro minis and tight crop tops instead. She can't object to that type of wholesome All-American outfit, right? After her sons fainted from the shock, she would be begging them to put some leggings on.

Please quit wearing those tight pants and cover up is a phrase likely never uttered by a male undergrad anywhere. I am guessing even at Liberty University and BYU, the undergrads can appreciate the beauty of God's creation in a nice pair of leggings.

This mom is going to have a rough 4 years, I hope none of her sons join a frat, she might not survive that level of immodest debauchery.
Sigh. Unfortunately at least one dude has complained about things like leggings at BYU. I can't tell if she is wearing leggings or what, but it seems like a perfectly reasonable outfit to me. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...#ixzz1meTZn8SI

It can be a....strange school sometimes, and I say that as an alumni. My husband once got in trouble for forgetting to shave and having 5 o clock shadow only as he went to go take a test. Got called into the Honor office and was interrogated by some guy who was probably a freshman on a power trip or something.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Why do you find it difficult? What if you couldn't see the other person and were having a wonderful conversation with them and then they showed themselves and you considered them to be trashy looking? Would it negate the wonderful conversation just because of their physical appearance?
Aren't you ever worried you might miss making connections with people because you judged them from appearances alone? I'm genuinely curious about this.
You wagging your finger at me isn't going to make me start respecting them. If they walk around like a skank, I have no respect for them.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:23 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Eh, the mom is just mad she is past her prime and no young guys are checking her out. Now she has to live out her fantasies watching 50 Shades with her cooter scooter. She has heard a few too many vapid feminist rants lately, and now she's hating on much hotter and much younger women in leggings.
How did you get she listens to feminist rants? This is the opposite.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2019, 09:29 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You wagging your finger at me isn't going to make me start respecting them. If they walk around like a skank, I have no respect for them.
Leggings are skanky?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Leggings are skanky?
When worn as pants, yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies