Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Maryann White right about her concerns about 'leggings', as discussed below?
Yes 27 25.96%
No 77 74.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 12:02 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Nobody is proposing the banning of leggings. So let's just get that out of the way right from the start.

But can they reasonably be regarded as immodest and as possibly helping to promote a view of women as a body and not as a person, as many feminists might in other circumstances insist is important for women?

Maryann White seems to think so:

It seems to me that these are kind of trashy looking. Of course if you are an student of anatomy and are interested in examining the women wearing these garments from that perspective, perhaps that makes some sort of sense.

Is the word "modesty" now rejected and despised by the purveyors of the Democrat left "Political correctness" mandatory thought and speech codes? They can take those and stick them, well, you know where, at least as far as I am concerned. If the very suggestion that some modicum of modesty is desirable is considered objectionable by these people, that is really a sad and undesirable state of affairs.

Women, you do better than this. Can't you?
I thought the term 'co-ed' became obsolete sometime around 55-60 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 12:06 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times
Where's the concern over high-heels? Many of those wearing leggings also probably have a closet full of high heels. The difference is that leggings will not cause foot injury, sometimes seriously so.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0521120924.htm

Old 03-30-2019, 12:11 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Where's the concern over high-heels? Many of those wearing leggings also probably have a closet full of high heels. The difference is that leggings will not cause foot injury, sometimes seriously so.

Apparently you have missed the ones in leggings AND high heels.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 03-30-2019 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 12:24 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
SJWs the Leggings Edition

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-30-2019, 02:02 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Mom pleads with university coeds to stop wearing leggings

I have to admit, I like the way they look on most college aged girls, but I agree.

Another point to consider: I can remember when tight jeans were the fashion for men and women, but these days males almost always wear loose jeans or other legwear, yet somehow we expect females to wear form fitting clothes all the time. That is an inherent bias in our recent culture. It's like the girls must be on constant display and there is something disturbing about that.
This was probably the first time I've ever repped you, but you get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
How strange that you read my post as finger wagging when I was asking a real, genuine question. I guess the internet doesn't "allow" for that anymore.

Everybody's pants are too tight and we're all too crabby!

Another poster put it very well - you can literally see everything. It's disgusting. "Empowering" women is not saying, "let everyone see everything you got", it's teaching them to respect themselves. Walking around in "leggings" that are so thin you can see every part of them is not self respect.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:11 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Hot girls should wear hot girl clothes.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:42 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So you don't take you wife and daughters to the beach I'm guessing? Don't watch any women's volley ball on TV (quite skimpy), I would imagine NFL is off limits due the cheerleaders?

How in the world do you manage to leave the house with girls in short-shorts, mini skirts, tube tops, crop tops.... your offense must constant.
It doesn't "offend me", I used the word uncomfortable. Get a dictionary, those two words are not synonyms.

Why it makes me uncomfortable is straightforeward. I'm a red blooded man, I'm going to stare if you're showing me what mother nature gave you (and if it's nicely put together). Something I don't want to do around my wife and daughters for obvious reasons. Alone? Fine. You won't offend me in the slightest, I hope you like being ogled (if you look good that is).

I did specify contexts. On the beach, people wear different attire than they do to work, to church, to school. This is not hard to understand, it's called social cues.

If you want to stand out by wearing something most people don't, and if that standing out makes people uncomfortable (if you're ugly I won't complain about you being in leggings) then that's the equivalent of you farting in front of me. Do I want people to go to jail for farting in public? No. I just think you're very very low person and I avoid you.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:27 PM

999 posts, read 554,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not at all. If you are the offender, you need to understand that people are either sad for you, or making fun of you behind your back. It matters nothing to me.
What people?

After I first commented in this thread, I went grocery shopping. I decided to look around at the women in my age range give or take ten years. I'd say at least half of them if not more were wearing leggings.

Leggings are not some weird thing only worn by risqué attention seekers. I see women of all ages wearing leggings all the time!

So who are the ones feeling sad for us and making fun of us behind our backs? Some pitiful jealous minority? Who cares what those idiots think! Lots of people wear leggings and if they're going to hate on people for that, I guess they must feel angry every time they go outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Yes, I don't want to see scantily clad women around me when I'm with my wife or daughters in public. It makes me uncomfortable.
Then don't look. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Now you have just demonstrated complete ignorance of what leggings are, dude, I have FLEECE lined leggings, and many others are quite thick.
All my leggings are thick and none of them are see through at all. They are literally the same as pants. This thread is cracking me up. I feel like so many people are exaggerating their leggings experiences to try to prove how terrible and immodest it is.

Can one of you anti-leggings warriors please point out how leggings are any different than a tight pair of jeans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post

I don't own one pair of high heels. Not shaming them, people can wear them if they like. But I won't go out of the house in shoes I wouldn't be capable of running for my life in. You never know what might happen out there, and I'm not gonna be the woman who meets an untimely death because I tripped on my high heels like an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Another poster put it very well - you can literally see everything. It's disgusting. "Empowering" women is not saying, "let everyone see everything you got", it's teaching them to respect themselves. Walking around in "leggings" that are so thin you can see every part of them is not self respect.
It sounds like you're projecting your own insecurities onto these women who are perfectly fine with themselves. There's nothing disrespectful about my body existing and looking how it looks. If you feel disgust at the sight of a woman's body, that's your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Why it makes me uncomfortable is straightforeward. I'm a red blooded man, I'm going to stare if you're showing me what mother nature gave you (and if it's nicely put together). Something I don't want to do around my wife and daughters for obvious reasons. Alone? Fine. You won't offend me in the slightest, I hope you like being ogled (if you look good that is).
And here we have it, folks. Another perfect example of "I'm a man and can't control myself so women should change how they dress."

The world doesn't work that way. If you don't like it, don't look. If you can't control whether you look or not, either quit complaining or better yourself and learn some self control.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:31 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Apparently you have missed the ones in leggings AND high heels.
With a button-down shirt tucked in.

Just. Awful.

Every line in the butt checks and front parts showing. And that was AT WORK. Multiple women wearing it. Not sure why HR hasn't tackled this one. It's just so inappropriate.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:36 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
What people?

Then don't look. Problem solved.

All my leggings are thick and none of them are see through at all. They are literally the same as pants. This thread is cracking me up. I feel like so many people are exaggerating their leggings experiences to try to prove how terrible and immodest it is.

Sorry not what I've seen at all. All are really thin, pulled tight and almost sheer at the top, showing all the lady bits, and butt crack thongs.

Can one of you anti-leggings warriors please point out how leggings are any different than a tight pair of jeans?

Because they aren't thick denim but instead are sheer, stretchy fabric that is skin tight to the point of being see-through? Don't know any one else who can't tell the difference.

The world doesn't work that way. If you don't like it, don't look. If you can't control whether you look or not, either quit complaining or better yourself and learn some self control.

Well, either stop complaining or stop caring so much whether other people like them or not.
People are allowed opinions. Don't like the opinions? Consider changing the clothes. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies