Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Maryann White right about her concerns about 'leggings', as discussed below?
Yes 27 25.96%
No 77 74.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 12:33 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times

Advertisements

OMG! So you mean to tell me that someone may see the outline of my butt? IDK... I am thinking that if someone’s never seen the outline of a butt.. they aren’t going to know what it is, and if they have... it’s not gonna be a big deal. I have a feeling that if men weren’t able to
See the outlines of women’s butts.... they’d stop opening doors for us and letting us go first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 12:33 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
I totally oppose this. It is a total Islamic mindset.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:35 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wearing it outside of the gym doesn't automatically make it crawl up your bum and produce insta camel toe.

If you see someone at the store in them, you have no idea if they came from the gym, or are just running errands.
I know what I see, in spite of your efforts trying to convince me I'm blind. I know the difference between athletic wear and leggings. And what's appropriate and not appropriate.

Moving on. Good gawd.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Well obviously they should change into their cashmere and pearls like real ladies after sweating at the gym and before running into Publix for milk.

So much pearl-clutching over what women choose to wear. I wonder why there are no threads on men who wear wifebeaters or jeans that allow the waistbands of their tidy whities to stick out or ugly mullets. Or even better, the wifebeater and mullet with camouflage pants. Those make me roll my eyes, but I wouldn't whine about it in a letter to the town sheriff or whoever's job it is to monitor and advise the men on proper fashion.
There is a difference between athletic wear and leggings.

The equivalent would not be a mullet. It would be a bunch of men in a grocery store wearing speedos where you can see the outline of their junk. And then they'd be at work. At at the airport. And it's a pathetic, inappropriate show of lack of self respect, the same as women who choose tight leggings.

And there have been threads about male teens whose underwear shows because their jeans are too low. If you like, go start another thread on that subject.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post

I don't think you do. I think that you think leggings in this topic means nylons or panty hose. Big difference between that & leggings or yoga pants or workout wear.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I know what leggings are. I can't imagine anyone mistaking leggings for workout gear or yoga pants. Ever. Moving on.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. I know what leggings are. I can't imagine anyone mistaking leggings for workout gear or yoga pants. Ever. Moving on.
Really? Because you know that leggings, or I guess if you want to call them spandex pants, have been worn as workout gear for a long time. They are everywhere, from the gym to simply walking around outside or going to the grocery store.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:03 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Really? Because you know that leggings, or I guess if you want to call them spandex pants, have been worn as workout gear for a long time. They are everywhere, from the gym to simply walking around outside or going to the grocery store.
This. I was wearing them for dance and baton twirling classes 25-30 years ago, and I still wear them now for bicycling and gym workouts.

Mine are definitely not see - through. They are made of thick spandex or a fabric blend. They are no way confused with tights or stockings.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:24 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
I would like to point out that men are wearing very tight pants now, too. Even "slacks" and suit pants are much tighter than used to be the style. Shirts are also much tighter now. In addition, pregnant ladies now wear cloths that show the whole contour of their bellies. It used to be that your dress or top needed to fall straight down from the widest place, and that showing the bottom of the bump was in poor taste. But the styles now are much more toward showing everything, in both men and women. I think it is a general tendency toward showing more of the body, for both men and women.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:11 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Schools, work places, even many nightclubs have dress codes.

Obviously. Did you get the impression the person I was quoting was referring to any of those scenarios?

In fact, they made my point in their very next post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Society has. Try walking outside naked and you'll end up on the sexual offender registry list.
(emphasis mine)

We're talking about wearing leggings in public spaces, not some nightclub that won't let you wear sneakers inside.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:12 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
No, leggings and spandex workout pants not the same. My leggings are 95% Cotton and only 5% Spandex. Very similar to most women's jeans today.

I think I first started wearing them back in the 80's, and still do for practicality and comfort. When I was still working, I wore them because I worked with disabled adults and children. Had to push wheelchairs, lifting them out of and into, bending over cots to change diapers. I am a size 0. What butt? My "low rise" jeans in the rear part were constantly falling down on me. Nothing there to hold them up. Leggings come to the waist with elastic band. Did not fall down with physical activity. I have always worn leggings with a long shirt or tunic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies