Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 AM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I don't recall whether he was for or against.
I read about it. He was against it. He claimed it would be bad for South Africa. I don't allow people to play ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Is it any wonder, whites are the ones who brought agriculture to South Africa. The blacks were still tribal(hunter-gatherers) and had no idea how to farm, hell the wheel hadn't even been invented yet.
Well, I look at it like this. They might have not had agriculture, but they didn't go hungry. They knew how to get food without agriculture. There was more starvation going on during Apartheid than in pre-colonial South Africa. Notice I said "during Apartheid". This is not meant to be "Whites shouldn't be there". This is an argument of people trying to paint the whole situation as "Blacks were inferior and couldn't do for themselves".

Old 04-04-2019, 08:09 AM

2,828 posts, read 826,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I read about it. He was against it. He claimed it would be bad for South Africa. I don't allow people to play ignorant.
Well regardless it was to big a change to fast and South Africa never recovered economically.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Don’t need to see another Zimbabwe born.

Rhodesia fed Africa, Zimbabwe starves.
Rhodesia also discriminated against Blacks, and put them in positions similar to what Blacks had in South Africa. Am I in favor of what happened to White farmers under Mugabe? No. My point is this. Blacks were given a raw deal under Rhodesia. Guess who else was hoping for Rhodesia to come back. Dylann Roof.

My perspective is this. The persons who are okay with Trump acting on helping Whites in South Africa would have likely turned their back on Blacks who were suffering under Apartheid or under colonial-era Rhodesia. Zimbabwe screwed up when it had Mugabe for too long.

Something else. Ever since Mugabe has left office, White farmers are returning to Zimbabwe. https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-af...farmers-return

Old 04-04-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Well regardless it was to big a change to fast and South Africa never recovered economically.
Apartheid should have never been implemented in ZA in the first place. Sanctions were needed. EVERYBODY in South Africa should have been given the same rights and freedoms. If a country cannot do that, there is a problem. If I had a choice of living under the Apartheid regime vs being dead, I'll pick being dead.

What screwed South Africa over was Jacob Zuma. The country started doing good under Mandela. Then Mandela stepped down and Thabo Mbeki had some issues. The Zuma came and things really got crazy. I've been following politics in South Africa. Look up this YouTuber named Renaldo Gouws.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:37 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,370,769 times
Quote:
Is it any wonder, whites are the ones who brought agriculture to South Africa. The blacks were still tribal(hunter-gatherers) and had no idea how to farm, hell the wheel hadn't even been invented yet.
Rubbish. Bantu people have farmed the land long before Jan van Riebeeck stepped on to the Cape. You're only thinking of the Khoikhoi who were hunter gatherers. Different community of people.

https://www.sahistory.org.za/article...armers-gauteng

Not a justification for the white settlers to take all the land and subjugate the black people there as migrant farm workers.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:41 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,370,769 times
Quote:
Guess who else was hoping for Rhodesia to come back. Dylann Roof.

My perspective is this. The persons who are okay with Trump acting on helping Whites in South Africa would have likely turned their back on Blacks who were suffering under Apartheid or under colonial-era Rhodesia. Zimbabwe screwed up when it had Mugabe for too long.
Yeah. Where were these "really concerned folks" when Sharpeville, 1960, and Soweto, 1976 were happening and lots of Black South Africans were gunned down by the police and security forces?

Old 04-04-2019, 12:10 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,122,662 times
Quote:
Apartheid should have never been implemented in ZA in the first place. Sanctions were needed. EVERYBODY in South Africa should have been given the same rights and freedoms. If a country cannot do that, there is a problem. If I had a choice of living under the Apartheid regime vs being dead, I'll pick being dead.

What screwed South Africa over was Jacob Zuma. The country started doing good under Mandela. Then Mandela stepped down and Thabo Mbeki had some issues. The Zuma came and things really got crazy. I've been following politics in South Africa. Look up this YouTuber named Renaldo Gouws.
Yep, they were no Madela and his Predecessors don't seem to have a prayer in saving South Africa's spiral down, with the 5th highest murder rate and more than 10% of the population having Aids it looks only to get worse. Sucks for the entire population whether Native African, European, Indian, or mixed decent...Good luck SA, your going to need it.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:02 PM

2,828 posts, read 826,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yep, they were no Madela and his Predecessors don't seem to have a prayer in saving South Africa's spiral down, with the 5th highest murder rate and more than 10% of the population having Aids it looks only to get worse. Sucks for the entire population whether Native African, European, Indian, or mixed decent...Good luck SA, your going to need it.
They are to stupid to realize they were better off under Dutch rule.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:34 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,122,662 times
Quote:
They are to stupid to realize they were better off under Dutch rule.
They might have been better off from some standpoints but inequality is bad period. As far as having a go forward plan that works the people, apparently, they dont have one. Their future will probably mimick that of Zimbabwe if they're lucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies