Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 12:08 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I think though that some of the responsibility should be on the person seeking services for instance bring a translator with you for doctor's appointments etc."

IF they LIVE here why SHOULDN'T they be REQUIRED to speak OUT language?

A lawful visitor excepted.

You don't get to decide that.

Its up to the organization, whether public or private, to provide linguistic outreach as they see fit for health, economic and public service needs. My sister's medical office has bilingual staff because they have a lot of Spanish speaking patients.

As I've said, for private businesses, economics and business reasons are pretty good reasons to offer services and outreach in different languages.

Pizza Patron is a pizza chain that explicitly serves the Hispanic market and they have bilingual language skills as a bona fide occupational qualification.

The Hispanic Market in the US has over $1 trillion (yes, trillion) in purchasing power. While many (younger) Hispanic consumers are bilingual, it still makes sense to use Spanish language media for advertising and outreach in different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 12:37 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not only that but that customer was born here and knew how to speak English so why would she start a conversation with a clerk in Spanish in front of another clerk that only spoke English? Just because she can? This happens in the work place all the time here in the southwest and it's rude to the other employees who don't know Spanish.

So what if some believe it's rude to hear a different language who cares?? None of your business.

I've heard people countless times having conversations in languages I don't understand even in the work place occasionally guess what I don't concern myself with conversations that are none of my business so I don't care. It actually makes it easier to tune them out it's a win win situation most of the time, some of you concern yourselves way too much with other people's conversations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies