Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:01 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
1. Didn't say it was but I've come come across monolingual nazi's before.
Another silly name to over dramatize something you don't like.

Quote:
2. Like I said this is a free country and people can speak whatever language they please and yes it won't be pleasant.
Agreed. And? So? Do you have a point?

Quote:
3. Many people are nosy and try to listen to other people's conversations in doctor's offices waiting rooms etc that isn't something I've made up.
Yes you are. As if one silly made up example about people eavesdropping is meaningful.

Quote:
4. Okay the woman in the video might be a few generations removed from being a hillbilly. There are some hillbillies that are good people but this one is definitely trash her demeanor and language is straight out of the gutter. Yeah I do look down on her type not because of economics but plain and simple they're gutter trash.
She very well may be trash. It's not about your perception of her, although her demeanor in this instance warranted her being fired.

In the end, it's about the way others treat minorities as if they are children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Nope, they can speak any language they like. Free country, don’t like it, move.
Trumps president. Don't like it, move. See what I did there?

Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,905,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I believe you have grossly misunderstood my post.

Our country was built on being the great melting pot.

When at home and with friends speak whatever you want.

When out in public doing business in America have the common courtesy to use the language of the country.

How else are ypu going to assimilate into the melting pot?

"Not everyone wants to be part of your melting pot"

Then WHY are they here if they do NOT want to part of America, which speak ENGLISH?

If you want to be in America and BECOME Americans speak the language OF America.
"When at home and with friends speak whatever you want"

That isn't your decision to make.

"When out in public doing business in America have the common courtesy to use the langue of the country"

I speak English fluently with no hint of an accent I blend very well and have a more extensive vocabulary then most people I encounter I usually speak English while out in public but not exclusively. It is of no concern of mine if someone may find it offensive that I speak a non-English language when I am socializing with family in public our conversations are of no concern to random people out in public and to be honest those that find it offense I want distance from them so it is a win win situation.

Being part of melting pot indicates I must deny who I am the fact is I'm a cultural fusion as well as bilingual person. I have a brother who has fully embraced the melting pot thing married an Anglo-American, changed his religion, has practically forgot his upbringing, struggles with constructing a sentence in the language he was brought up with, tbh hones has gone full redneck, not for me. We are all free to choose I have no interest in the melting pot thing.

"If you want to be in America and become Americans speak the language of America"

I speak the English language quite well and I am American but also has a strong sense of my ethnicity and don't apologize for it. I don't need anyone's approval. I will continue to speak as I choose.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:32 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,905,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Another silly name to over dramatize something you don't like.

Agreed. And? So? Do you have a point?

Yes you are. As if one silly made up example about people eavesdropping is meaningful.

She very well may be trash. It's not about your perception of her, although her demeanor in this instance warranted her being fired.

In the end, it's about the way others treat minorities as if they are children.
1. Okay the point is we don't need people policing what language other's choose to speak while out in public.

2. That's your opinion sometimes it is useful to speak a language other than English while out in public it some cases it provides for a more private exchange.

3. We agree on this one this lady is trash.

4. That may have something to do with it I'm not a racial minority so I"m not usually perceived as an "other". I blend in.

5. I've rarely noticed anyone becoming uncomfortable with my speaking a different language out in public occasionally, what I usually encounter is interest yes even from elderly white people perhaps it's different here than where you live. Oh and yes I don't dislike hillbillies for the most part I just don't like them telling me what language to speak. It's that simple.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
1. Okay the point is we don't need people policing what language other's choose to speak while out in public.
Agreed except that wording policing doesn't necessarily fit at times. Although you are not saying otherwise.

Quote:
2. That's your opinion sometimes it is useful to speak a language other than English while out in public it some cases it provides for a more private exchange.
Agreed. However unless no one else speaks that language it isn't that private.

Quote:
3. We agree on this one this lady is trash.
To even mention that to a customer in a polite manner is bad imo. What she did was a form of insanity.

Quote:
4. That may have something to do with it I'm not a racial minority so I"m not usually perceived as an "other". I blend in.
My comment was about the color of ones skin or the accent which causes others to treat them like children. First generation.

Quote:
5. I've rarely noticed anyone becoming uncomfortable with my speaking a different language out in public occasionally, what I usually encounter is interest yes even from elderly white people perhaps it's different here than where you live. Oh and yes I don't dislike hillbillies for the most part I just don't like them telling me what language to speak. It's that simple.
Here it's when employees don't speak English at work is when it gets uncomfortable.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 04-13-2019 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
"When at home and with friends speak whatever you want"

That isn't your decision to make.

"When out in public doing business in America have the common courtesy to use the langue of the country"

I speak English fluently with no hint of an accent I blend very well and have a more extensive vocabulary then most people I encounter I usually speak English while out in public but not exclusively. It is of no concern of mine if someone may find it offensive that I speak a non-English language when I am socializing with family in public our conversations are of no concern to random people out in public and to be honest those that find it offense I want distance from them so it is a win win situation.

Being part of melting pot indicates I must deny who I am the fact is I'm a cultural fusion as well as bilingual person. I have a brother who has fully embraced the melting pot thing married an Anglo-American, changed his religion, has practically forgot his upbringing, struggles with constructing a sentence in the language he was brought up with, tbh hones has gone full redneck, not for me. We are all free to choose I have no interest in the melting pot thing.

"If you want to be in America and become Americans speak the language of America"

I speak the English language quite well and I am American but also has a strong sense of my ethnicity and don't apologize for it. I don't need anyone's approval. I will continue to speak as I choose.
" I will continue to speak as I choose."

I commend you on your language skills.

I think I am being misunderstood.

You ARE free to speak whatever language you want and I have no problem with that. Maybe it is just common courtesy to speak the language of the country you live in.

Let me try to clearer.

What I DO have problem with, when doing business in the public, a clerk say, should NOT be required to speak any language other than English.

If they CANNOT speak English they should NOT be here. Ligament visitors excepted.

In order to become a citizen or get green card one of the requirements is to "be a able speak and understand English"

If a customer speaks to him/her in Spanish it is NOT the clerks responsibility to understand them and should NOT be punished for it.

I DON'T think our government should be sending OUR TAX DOLLARS nor NOR commercial endeavors printing thing is English AND Spanish.

Again the law states, ""be a able speak and understand English"

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-14-2019 at 07:20 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 09:39 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
What I DO have problem with, when doing business in the public, a clerk say, should NOT be required to speak any language other than English.

If they CANNOT speak English they should NOT be here. Ligament visitors excepted.

In order to become a citizen or get green card one of the requirements is to "be a able speak and understand English"

If a customer speaks to him/her in Spanish it is NOT the clerks responsibility to understand them and should NOT be punished for it.

I DON'T think our government should be sending OUR TAX DOLLARS nor NOR commercial endeavors printing thing is English AND Spanish.

Only a handful of federal laws mandate the use of languages other than English:

Immigration procedures: interpreters must be available during the physical and mental examination of foreigners seeking entry to the United States – 8 U.S.C. 1224.

Due process: court interpreters must be provided in federal civil and criminal trials that involve parties or witnesses who are not proficient in English – 28 U.S.C. 1827.

Migrant health care: bilingual personnel must be provided in federally funded migrant health centers and alcohol abuse programs that serve a significant non-English-speaking population – 42 U.S.C. 254b(f)(3)(J), 245c, 4577b.

Voting rights: bilingual ballots and voter information must be provided in jurisdictions where speakers of Spanish, Native American, and Asian American languages exceed 5 percent of the population or number more than 10,000 and have below average rates of voter turnout and English proficiency – 42 U.S.C. 1973aa-1a.

When federal agencies choose to serve the public in languages other than English, it is almost always to promote more efficient operations, such as:
  • to inform members of the public of their rights and responsibilities,;
  • to enforce various federal laws;
  • to safeguard the public health and safety;
  • to gather information – e.g., in the decennial census;
  • to support educational programs, including programs that teach English; and
  • to provide access to government and the political process.
  • English Only advocates ignore the fact that the Internal Revenue Service publishes provides certain forms, informational materials, and oral assistance in Spanish for a simple reason: cost-effectiveness. The amount of taxes collected as a result far exceeds the expenditure.
In sum, the accommodations now available to minority language speakers in the United States – minimal when compared to those offered by many other countries – hardly amount to "multilingual government."

Old 04-14-2019, 09:47 AM

528 posts, read 227,688 times
She's dumb white trash.

Hillary got the poor dumb white trash vote

Old 04-14-2019, 09:48 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:

That was not the case here. The clerk was castigating the customer for speaking Spanish and was punished for offering poor customer service. OTOH, it makes good business sense for organizations to have staff with expanded linguistic capabilities because it facilitates serving more of the public.

I've mentioned the reasoning for governments to offer services and notices in different languages in an earlier post. Commercial organizations are free to engage in whatever language policies to serve their customers as they see fit.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Yes I do. I also know what triggered means.

Make something else up and I'll continue to ridicule your foolish, childish posts.
Quote:
Trumps president. Don't like it, move. See what I did there?
Lol, you're really bad at this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies