Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 07:18 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
I can't even believe that was a serious suggestion. OMG, can you even imagine working in retail and the company policy is to ask people that speak a foreign language if they know English prior to serving them.
Exactly. Just ring them up and sell them a Coke, cigarettes, candy bar or Slim Jim. Why bother about where they're from?

Heck, I visited Quebec where they take language politics pretty seriously - and they don't ask that I speak French in order to be served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
OG is also presuming here that any Spanish customers for a business must be living in America, instead of how customers can be from all around the world these days especially, like via the phone. A convenience store would be a possible place where tourists go. Someone may have just moved here and is trying, but new. Or they may just want to speak a language that day.

There are all kinds of reasons and needs for accommodating a foreign language if it comes up from a customer, and a company is foolish if they are actively discouraging their employees from speaking that language.

And we still have no national language for the businesses and government to be lax on or whatever that argument was.
Yep. It's just a simple transaction. Why show your passport for that?

Old 04-09-2019, 07:24 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
I can't even believe that was a serious suggestion. OMG, can you even imagine working in retail and the company policy is to ask people that speak a foreign language if they know English prior to serving them.
The employee should just speak to them in English to begin with unless the customer says they don't know English. It's really that simple.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:28 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
I can people who are monolingual nationalists who aren't business minded think in those absurd terms.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 939,006 times
According to commonly accepted dictionary definitions, the blond woman is a bigot. She might be a racist too, again by commonly accepted definitions.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:00 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Ever notice how it is often elderly White people that act like this towards Latinos/Hispanics/Mexicans? What is with that trend? Context leading up to this video aside, that White lady looked and/or sounded drunk. Fire her, please!

Old 04-10-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Ever notice how it is often elderly White people that act like this towards Latinos/Hispanics/Mexicans? What is with that trend? Context leading up to this video aside, that White lady looked and/or sounded drunk. Fire her, please!
Maybe because the elderly and others (white or not) are fed up with non-assimilation in our country and it's mostly Latinos who aren't assimilating in our country. That particular Latino customer and probably the cashier that was waiting on her were born here and knew how to speak English so I rest my case. Add to that the millions here illegally babbling in Spanish and it just pours salt into the wound.

I'm not excusing the behavior of the cashier whom this topic is about but it is what it is. She should have confronted the other cashier rather than going off on the customer.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I noticed that too. The vast majority of these bigoted nativists seem to be elderly white people, most of whom have never been within 100 miles of the border. I think that is why we sometimes see these fools go off on people. They have lived their entire lives in a whites only bubble and they completely lose it when they actually see a brown skinned person speaking Spanish in what they consider their territory.
What's bigoted and nativist about expecting people to learn and speak our language out in public when they know how to? The Hispanic woman of this topic was born here and could speak English. The cashier who waited on her could speak English. Why be rude to your fellow employees and talk in front of them in a foreign language?

Oh knock off your "whites" rhetoric. I know plenty of blacks and young people who also get sick of hearing Spanish babble all the time to and it's mostly occurring via illegal immigration. Brown skinned persons? WTH does their skin color have to do with it? I know plenty of Hispanics who have lilly white skin. They consider this their territory? I have news for you the U.S. territory belongs to all Americans regardless of their race. It certainly doesn't belong to illegal aliens though!

Old 04-10-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What's bigoted and nativist about expecting people to learn and speak our language out in public when they know how to? The Hispanic woman of this topic was born here and could speak English. The cashier who waited on her could speak English. Why be rude to your fellow employees and talk in front of them in a foreign language?

Oh knock off your "whites" rhetoric. I know plenty of blacks and young people who also get sick of hearing Spanish babble all the time to and it's mostly occurring via illegal immigration. Brown skinned persons? WTH does their skin color have to do with it? I know plenty of Hispanics who have lilly white skin. They consider this their territory? I have news for you the U.S. territory belongs to all Americans regardless of their race. It certainly doesn't belong to illegal aliens though!
What people chose to speak in private and in public is totally their own business.

Stop being the language police.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
It has been explained to you many times that the language someone chooses to use is their own business. Nobody cares what you think, you do you and let others do the same.

Once again, there is nothing rude about a Spanish speaking employee serving a Spanish speaking customer in Spanish. The other cashier was not involved and I fail to see how you are making the leap to rudeness here.

On one thing we agree, US territory belongs to all Americans. Even the ones that choose to speak Spanish in public.
That may well be but it's still rude at times. What part of that don't you get? There are many people who agree with me also and they don't care what you think either.

Again, it is rude when both knew how to speak English but they chose to speak a foreign language instead within earshot of a fellow worker who doesn't speak Spanish. Where my wife used to work the Hispanics did this all the time in front of native English speakers even though they were told not to do it while on the clock. Why not be considerate of others instead? Why speak a foreign language in public when they all know English just because they can? There's a fine line between freedom of doing what you can and being rude by doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies