Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 11:32 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well there is a a bit of ignorance on display. She should lose her job going after a customer like that just as that bozo that berated the old guy at the coffee shop the other day.

What is wrong with people that they feel the need to push their ignorance on others?

One would think that the lady would be used to people speaking Spanish living in San Jose.
She probably wishes San Jose didn't have any Hispanic persons living there. If she had her way, she would probably leave California altogether. Just looking at her, I think "idiot". She's a bigot. She's also a very stupid person. She's likely miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 11:37 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
That women looks absolutely unhinged.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That women looks absolutely unhinged.
She reminds me of someone I went to high school with. I say this because I went to school with individuals who had bigoted disposition. Some of those persons were often trashy, struggled academically, etc.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:39 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've noticed that during the Dreamers debate, all the Dreamers they put in front of the news cameras - supposed to represent the best and brightest of them- still speak with pronounced Mexican accents. And they want to convince us that these people are American like us? Most of them seem culturally and linguistically more at home in Mexico or another Latin American country than in America.
Oh no, an accent! Horrendous! Those southerners with their hickish sounding inbred accents don't sound like me so they're not american like I am.

See how stupid your post sounds?

Old 04-07-2019, 03:01 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have often wondered where are the media reports about people complaining about English ONLY in Chinese take out places????? It seems to be only people speaking Spanish, including Bilingual people.

Husband had a coworker years ago who was Tri-Lingual; his Dad was Chinese and his Mom Puerto Rican. He took us to both these ethnic restaurants and spoke the language there for both. Certainly he was fluent in English as his native born tongue, and as a Corporate Business Executive, but he should not be allowed to speak another language out in public? We got very good service at these restaurants when he did.
It's because it is Spanish that has become so predominant in this country not Chinese and I've already explained why over and over in here. Speaking a foreign tongue in an ethnic restaurant is not the same as being at Wal-Mart and speaking it especially when one knows English. No one is saying that it shouldn't be allowed all I am saying is why not respect the language of this country by speaking it when you can?

Why would anyone get better service in an ethnic restaurant that is doing business here in the U.S. by speaking a foreign language? Are you saying that the waiters don't understand English?

Old 04-07-2019, 03:09 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Tejano nor Cajun culture are the identifying mainstream cultures of this country. No one is saying there is something wrong with knowing more than one language but why not speak English when you can out in public? If one refuses then no, they haven't fully assimilated into American culture because our national de facto language is English

Perhaps that woman had reason to be put off by hearing Spanish and I've offered a couple of reasons why and so have some others in here but of course the article immediately labeled her as a racist. Go figure! If the Spanish speaking woman was bi-lingual then why didn't she speak English instead? I note she was carrying on a conversation with another cashier in Spanish which IMO was being rude to the cashier that got fired for objecting. However, the cashier that asked that the customer stop speaking Spanish was rude by implying she wasn't a citizen of our country and she flipped her the bird, using profanity and went on a tirade and that was the unacceptable part. However, there was rudeness on both of their parts.

My wife worked at place that had some Hispanics working there and they would do the same thing. They'd carry on a conversation in Spanish (even though they knew English) in front of the mono-lingual English speaking employees. The supervisors told them to stop it as it was being rude.

Last edited by Oldglory; 04-07-2019 at 03:23 PM..

Old 04-07-2019, 03:11 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Tejano nor Cajun culture are the identifying mainstream cultures of this country. No one is saying there is something wrong with knowing more than one language but why not speak English when you can out in public? If one refuses then no, they haven't fully assimilated into American culture because our national de facto language is English

Perhaps that woman had reason to be put off by hearing Spanish and I've offered a couple of reasons why and so have some others in here. If the Spanish speaking woman was bi-lingual then why didn't she speak English instead?
Because she doesn't have to speak english, no matter how much you cry about it. And you sympathizing with that crass worker says a lot about you, none of it good.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Because she doesn't have to speak english, no matter how much you cry about it. And you sympathizing with that crass worker says a lot about you, none of it good.
I've found that alot of people who speak a foreign language also speak English. I've never been offended by someone speaking another language. I have no reason to be. As long as they can speak English, I'm not worried.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:27 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
No, a big part of American culture is English and it's that specific language that is our identifying one. We just have many minority languages spoken here but they aren't our culture. We also have an identifying culture along with English being our identifying language.

Using ethnic business neighborhoods as having anything to do with our identifying culture is way off base. English has been our identifying language for a very long time even our Constitution and other government documents are in English. Don't even try to put other languages on par with English in this country or other cultures either.
I think we all know that English is the most popular language in the United States. No one is arguing other wise. So when you say "a big part of American culture is English", I absolutely agree. But there are are other popular languages as well. Obviously, a big part of American culture is also Spanish. At one point it was German too.

Legal documents are written in English because we use English in law. Federal law requires many of these documents to be available in multiple languages, including Spanish. The citizens of Texas have passed explicit laws to make their documents available in Spanish.

Either way, may it be English, Spanish, German, Hindi, Vietnamese (the fastest growing language in the US), it's all welcome here and protected. It's nice to have freedom.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:37 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
No one is saying there is something wrong with knowing more than one language but why not speak English when you can out in public?
I'd be more worried about snowflakes who are offended by two people having a private conversation in public in the second most popular language in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies