Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 02:34 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
"American culture" is not Spanish speaking. Yes there are areas in our country where foreign cultures predominate such as South Florida and South Texas but that is not mainstream American culture though. Assimilating into American culture includes learning to speak English fluently.

I personally am in favor of making English the official language of the US. Every liberal European country also has an official language, including liberal France and liberal Germany.
I understand that American culture is not Spanish speaking. American culture is made up of several languages and is not tied to any specific language.

I also agree that South Florida and South Texas are not great examples of American culture. American culture has so much more diversity than you see in those areas. All across the US, you have China towns, Little Italys, Korea towns, etc... where the commonly spoken languages in those areas are all over the place. Even during the revolutionary war, we had German soldiers, Dutch soldiers, etc... that all needed their own pamphlets in their own languages. We've been a multilingual nation for so long. It's evident that the lady in this video did not pay attention in history class.

I support the founding fathers' and my ancestors choices not to define an official language and I strongly believe in the Constitution. I'm also not liberal like those European countries you're fond of so I don't subscribe to your liberal views of big government controlling how we communicate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 06:54 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
She is in San Jose which also has a large Asian population but I bet she doesn't flip out if they spoke in their native languages. The illegal immigration issue has fueled this hatred toward Spanish speakers in this country which by the way doesn't have a official language.
How would you know that? Are we being invaded by millions of Asians jumping our border? There is no hatred towards Spanish speakers per se. Put your victim card back in your wallet. Hearing so much Spanish being spoken just reminds of this invasion. Of course not all Spanish speakers are here illegally but even those that aren't seem to choose Spanish over English in public. It's a non-assimilation factor.

English is our national de facto language, not Spanish.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I understand that American culture is not Spanish speaking. American culture is made up of several languages and is not tied to any specific language.

I also agree that South Florida and South Texas are not great examples of American culture. American culture has so much more diversity than you see in those areas. All across the US, you have China towns, Little Italys, Korea towns, etc... where the commonly spoken languages in those areas are all over the place. Even during the revolutionary war, we had German soldiers, Dutch soldiers, etc... that all needed their own pamphlets in their own languages. We've been a multilingual nation for so long. It's evident that the lady in this video did not pay attention in history class.

I support the founding fathers' and my ancestors choices not to define an official language and I strongly believe in the Constitution. I'm also not liberal like those European countries you're fond of so I don't subscribe to your liberal views of big government controlling how we communicate.
No, a big part of American culture is English and it's that specific language that is our identifying one. We just have many minority languages spoken here but they aren't our culture. We also have an identifying culture along with English being our identifying language.

Using ethnic business neighborhoods as having anything to do with our identifying culture is way off base. English has been our identifying language for a very long time even our Constitution and other government documents are in English. Don't even try to put other languages on par with English in this country or other cultures either.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Could you tell that to my uncle & cousins who got here in their late 30's learned English and became American citizens?..or perhaps to my nieces & nephews who are hispanic but can barely speak any Spanish (much to my dismay)?
The problem is that even though they may learn English many don't want to speak it in public. Also, just as long as we have this continued influx of illegal alien Spanish speakers it's only going to get worse.

How do you explain Miami with so many Spanish speaking Cubans in it? You can't even get a job there unless you speak Spanish. The same things applies in many southwestern states. "Must be bi-lingual" to apply.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:22 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
I've noticed that during the Dreamers debate, all the Dreamers they put in front of the news cameras - supposed to represent the best and brightest of them- still speak with pronounced Mexican accents. And they want to convince us that these people are American like us? Most of them seem culturally and linguistically more at home in Mexico or another Latin American country than in America.
By the third generation the accent is gone and few speak Spanish. Ain’t no different than the Chinese and Vietnamese. I’m sure you have been to a “Chinatown” or two.
Look up the statistics. Overcome your prejudices.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
An employee at a Shell gas station on Bernal Road in San Jose was fired after being filmed allegedly confronting a woman for speaking Spanish inside the store.
Bernal Road in San Jose.

Ranting about Spanish?

You gotta be spoofin' me...

Old 04-07-2019, 10:07 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How would you know that? Are we being invaded by millions of Asians jumping our border? There is no hatred towards Spanish speakers per se. Put your victim card back in your wallet. Hearing so much Spanish being spoken just reminds of this invasion. Of course not all Spanish speakers are here illegally but even those that aren't seem to choose Spanish over English in public. It's a non-assimilation factor.

English is our national de facto language, not Spanish.
Nah, we just come in Boeings and Airbuses. LOL.

You claim to not hate Spanish speakers but you have contempt and anger when you hear Spanish spoken in public. That's a difference without a distinction.

When folks proudly and naturally speak whatever language they want to speak in public, you act all hurt and bothered. Who's the victim here, then?

Last edited by silverkris; 04-07-2019 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-07-2019, 10:21 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
"American culture" is not Spanish speaking. Yes there are areas in our country where foreign cultures predominate such as South Florida and South Texas but that is not mainstream American culture though. Assimilating into American culture includes learning to speak English fluently.

I personally am in favor of making English the official language of the US. Every liberal European country also has an official language, including liberal France and liberal Germany.
Well, Tejano culture is just as much a part of American regional culture, as Cajun culture is from your state.

You can assimilate into so-called American culture AND speak more than just English. That person targeted by that Hispanophobic woman is bilingual.

Oh, btw, I'm also an assimilated native-born Chinese American, like you. The difference is that I've retained my fluency in Mandarin and also speak some Cantonese, and I'm proud of it. Bet you can't.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:43 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, Tejano culture is just as much a part of American regional culture, as Cajun culture is from your state.

You can assimilate into so-called American culture AND speak more than just English. That person targeted by that Hispanophobic woman is bilingual.

Oh, btw, I'm also an assimilated native-born Chinese American, like you. The difference is that I've retained my fluency in Mandarin and also speak some Cantonese, and I'm proud of it. Bet you can't.
I have often wondered where are the media reports about people complaining about English ONLY in Chinese take out places????? It seems to be only people speaking Spanish, including Bilingual people.

Husband had a coworker years ago who was Tri-Lingual; his Dad was Chinese and his Mom Puerto Rican. He took us to both these ethnic restaurants and spoke the language there for both. Certainly he was fluent in English as his native born tongue, and as a Corporate Business Executive, but he should not be allowed to speak another language out in public? We got very good service at these restaurants when he did.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:29 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
No sympathy from me. She got what she deserved. Maybe next time she'll think about what she says before saying it. Hopefully it will be a warning to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies