Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2019, 12:35 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Exactly, Conservatives make the "how black people vote" argument all the time, forgetting that how you vote is not the same as who wins.
And it is part of the reason I ask this question: For those who keep talking about how Black people vote, how is Black voting patterns any of your business? What stake do you have in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 12:35 PM

431 posts, read 257,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Let me tell you this. Most educated and middle class Black people vote Democrat. Black people who take responsibility for themselves and make something of themselves. Pretty much every Black person I know who is a working professional and in the middle class votes Democrat. Maybe there are other reasons alot of Black people vote Democrat, which have nothing to do with shirking responsibility. You can peddle your bs to someone else, but I'm not buying it, because I can smell it.

So do most educated upper class white people (vote democrat). They are referred to as the elite. Your modern day New York and San Francisco socialites including most celebrities. The people that are too smart or too rich to believe in God or other petty out dated conservative values. The ones that in a snide type of way look down on the working class but realize with a little bit of tribal and social warfare, they can convince the mob that the evil doers are those conservatives that hold on to their Christian faith and their guns. The one that dare believe that local police are actually there to protect them and they should respect them. Or despite the social injustices of the past, every ethnic group and race has an opportunity today to better themselves and the future of their family without fear of prosecution.

Blacks and Hispanic are historically conservative, but politicians compartmentalize them into a convenient quadrant of the victims of todays evil conservative American agenda. Perhaps few in comparison are voting against the political group that places them in this compartment, but those few are growing and will continue to do so as leaders within the social groups speak out against their systematic oppressors (IMHO).

Old 05-16-2019, 12:45 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
The Democrats have always controlled their blacks. First with slavery, then Jim Crow and now under the guise of "you need us" or you can't make it.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
Blacks and Hispanic are historically conservative, but politicians compartmentalize them into a convenient quadrant of the victims of todays evil conservative American agenda. Perhaps few in comparison are voting against the political group that places them in this compartment, but those few are growing and will continue to do so as leaders within the social groups speak out against their systematic oppressors (IMHO).
The GOP has thrown away, for the most part, political opportunities to capitalize on African American and Latino/Hispanic cultural traditionalism for decades.

As early as the 1980s, Richard Viguerie, one of the leaders of the conservative movement, explicitly identified that to appeal to Black and Hispanic voters as a whole. Unfortunately they pretty much trashed that with their appeals to racially tinged wedge politics issues - like Pete Wilson in California over Prop 187, and Jesse Helms-style demogoguery in North Carolina - just to name a few.

They've also squandered their political capital with Asian American voters too - who have voted Republican in large numbers for decades (depending on the particular ethnic group, and often due to anti-Communism) - and today, over 70% of Asian Americans go Democratic. It wasn't too long ago that Asians gave more of their votes to GHWB Bush over Clinton in 1992.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
This is always been the common theme. Blacks being "led to believe" something, either by black "race hustlers" or white liberals. Never.....ever....are the black masses given the credit for coming to their own conclusions about a matter, especially about race. It's like these people think black individuals don't have personal experience with white folks to form opinions about race or as if their siblings, mothers, fathers, friends, ect, are not also sharing their experience with white folks. Nope. Black folks have to be TOLD what to feel about racism and white folks by liberals.
And the persons pushing that argument are basically being bigoted. They are arguing that Black people can't think for themselves. It also also psychological warfare. A Black person talking about things he/she went through and someone saying "the Democrats have brainwashed you". It's a way of making someone question how they feel about their own reality.

Quote:
Maybe these people are simply projecting. Maybe its THEM who are being led to believe certain things about blacks by white conservative leaders, because they don't have enough personal contact with blacks to really form their own opinions. Hence, they assume that the same is true for blacks....that we are being told what to believe about whites. Well....you basically have to interact with whites on a major level, in this society, if you are going to make it. So a greater percentage of black people have significant contact with whites than the percentage of whites who have significant contact with blacks. In other words, we know whites better than whites know us, which is why we do not have to be TOLD what to feel about whites from white liberals or black leaders, where as whites more likely have to be told about black people because a smaller percentage of them have significant contact with black people.
I don't think it is so much projecting. It's more like said persons cannot get what they want. Some persons really don't have any personal experiences with Blacks and therefore, that ignorance is there. For many people, however, I don't see it as ignorance. Many people just making such statements because they really do have a bigoted mentality, or they are angry and can't get what they want.

I've grown up in predominantly White areas. I went to a predominantly White university. I've had ALOT of experience as far as being around White people. Many of my neighbors are White. I also live in Georgia so it isn't like Blacks and Whites won't have any interactions with one another. In order to be in places where the Black population is at a minimum, one has to go into the mountains of northeast Georgia or places where houses cost $1,000,000 (and there are some predominantly Black areas with houses costing that much).

I could give the benefit of the doubt by writing some things off as "well, they're ignorant, they haven't been around many Blacks". I could, but to a certain extent. If it was someone from rural Idaho or rural North Dakota, I could sort of get it. In places with so few Blacks, it wouldn't be surprising that someone goes most of their life with little interaction with Blacks. However, in Georgia, where Blacks are about 30% of the population, not as much, depending on what part of Georgia one lives in.

I don't need some liberal of any race to tell me how I should feel. How I feel is a result of what I'm exposed to and what I deal with. I don't need any dog whistle. I grew up dealing with racist individuals. It wasn't a White liberal who gave me a history lesson about the Confederate flag. It was my father, a Black man from the northern USA who grew up in a mostly Black neighborhood. My mother grew up in a mostly Black neighborhood in the southern USA. Both of my parents told me about the flag and what it represents.

It isn't White liberals telling Blacks to feel a certain way. Alot of Black people already feel a certain way and have often turned to White liberals as a result.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
So do most educated upper class white people (vote democrat). They are referred to as the elite. Your modern day New York and San Francisco socialites including most celebrities. The people that are too smart or too rich to believe in God or other petty out dated conservative values. The ones that in a snide type of way look down on the working class but realize with a little bit of tribal and social warfare, they can convince the mob that the evil doers are those conservatives that hold on to their Christian faith and their guns. The one that dare believe that local police are actually there to protect them and they should respect them. Or despite the social injustices of the past, every ethnic group and race has an opportunity today to better themselves and the future of their family without fear of prosecution.
Of course White middle and middle upper class residents in NYC and SF vote Democrat. That's NYC and SF for you. Same goes for Portland and Seattle.

You go into Minnesota, it leans liberal. Of course you're going to find Republicans in the rural areas. However, get closer to the Twin Cities, you'll find more liberals. And not always the smug types who think they're "too smart to believe in God". Minnesota might be a liberal state, but it has a moderately high population of its residents who believe in God. The smug kind of liberals are more of a coastal city thing.

And something else. Most people, liberal or conservative, know that the police are there to serve and protect. However, there are many who get sick of officers overstepping their powers and getting away with it.

And something else. People in every ethnic group have a better chance to better themselves than ever before. And it has shown itself through. However, this does not negate than some people still deal with things like job discrimination.

Quote:
Actually, you have it mixed up. Historically, Blacks voted Republican, those who had the opportunity to vote. And this was a long time ago. In the old days, Republicans were the liberals of their day. It was considered liberal back in 1865 to be against slavery. It was considered liberal to be in favor of Blacks having the same rights as Whites in 1900. The conservatives of the early 20th century were Democrats, and this was mainly southern Democrats. People in general had more conservative values in the early 20th century, in terms of religion, marriage, homosexuality, moral values. However, Blacks were not "historically conservative".

And something else. Blacks don't need anyone to tell them how to be victims. Historically, Blacks were victimized more than most other groups. A simple U.S. history lesson will show you that. I don't need someone to tell me that I deal with job discrimination today. I had a harder time finding a job compared to my White classmates with the same education and degree. I don't need someone to tell me about police brutality and harassment. I watch police officers pull my father over for nothing. I have my experiences of racism I could tell you about. No, it wasn't of the Jim Crow variety, but crazy stuff nonetheless.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The GOP has thrown away, for the most part, political opportunities to capitalize on African American and Latino/Hispanic cultural traditionalism for decades.

As early as the 1980s, Richard Viguerie, one of the leaders of the conservative movement, explicitly identified that to appeal to Black and Hispanic voters as a whole. Unfortunately they pretty much trashed that with their appeals to racially tinged wedge politics issues - like Pete Wilson in California over Prop 187, and Jesse Helms-style demogoguery in North Carolina - just to name a few.

They've also squandered their political capital with Asian American voters too - who have voted Republican in large numbers for decades (depending on the particular ethnic group, and often due to anti-Communism) - and today, over 70% of Asian Americans go Democratic. It wasn't too long ago that Asians gave more of their votes to GHWB Bush over Clinton in 1992.
And then you have the likes of Chris McDaniel. He ran for Senate in Mississippi. He basically balked at getting Blacks to vote for him. He lost. Of course, the current senator, Cindy Hyde-Smith, isn't much better, as she has her own bigoted past. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cindy_...th#Controversy

He attended a Neo-Confederate event.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...federate-event

McDaniel was also known for being kind of cold towards Blacks.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ps/1303501002/

Quote:
An interview panelist asked McDaniel about his support for the controversial state flag, comments about hip-hop music contributing to gun violence and praise of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

The panelist, Eddie Glaude, also asked McDaniel how he would speak to African-Americans in Mississippi, who make up 38 percent of the state's population and how he would convince them "you are not a danger to them."

McDaniel responded: "I am going to ask them, after 100 years, after 100 years of relying on big government to save you, where are you today? After 100 years of begging for federal government scraps, where are you today?"

After the audience booed the comments, McDaniel quickly said: "I mean the state of Mississippi. I'm talking about the state of Mississippi ... To your question, the candidate I am is the candidate that wants to expand your liberty ... break out of old ways."
McDaniel was asked how he could convince Blacks in Mississippi that he isn't a threat to him. He deflected from the subject/insulted Black voters at the same time. McDaniel never once told of what he could personally do as a Republican, he pointed to the Democrats.

Now you have to understand why he was asked this question. This is Mississippi, which has a history of racial violence. McDaniel sees Robert E. Lee as a hero. He uses the Confederate flag as part of his campaign emblem. That alone is going to turn alot of Black voters AWAY from voting for McDaniel. When asked how he could convince Blacks to trust him, he just said "quit begging the government to save you". That isn't going to convince Black people to vote for him. If anything, it just insulted alot of Black voters.

I agree with you that there have been some Republicans who had an opportunity to do better among Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians, and have blown it.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Heh,heh,heh.
Another three consecutive posts.
I'm beginning to understand why one poster complains so much about why his job prospects as a black man are not good.
It's not because he's black - he just spends his entire day on the internet ranting about how bad it is being black.
There's no time for work.😂😂😂

Old 05-16-2019, 02:16 PM

926 posts, read 417,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

You go into Minnesota, it leans liberal. Of course you're going to find Republicans in the rural areas. However, get closer to the Twin Cities, you'll find more liberals. And not always the smug types who think they're "too smart to believe in God". Minnesota might be a liberal state, but it has a moderately high population of its residents who believe in God. The smug kind of liberals are more of a coastal city thing.
I would just like to add that not all Republicans are religious or even believe in God.
One can be a Republican for the fiscal agenda, and be socially moderate or liberal - "New York Republicans" are a good example of that.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Heh,heh,heh.
Another three consecutive posts.
I'm beginning to understand why one poster complains so much about why his job prospects as a black man are not good.
It's not because he's black - he just spends his entire day on the internet ranting about how bad it is being black.
There's no time for work.😂😂😂
Then why are you posting here during the day??

To banish your stupidity, I have a job. I had to fight like crazy for it. I just got off work. And I work at a computer and get plenty done.

I would stop posting if I were you. Your posts make you look very juvenile and mentally incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies