Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 09:07 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I wouldn't want to carry a mortgage on a piece of property guaranteed to depreciate every year. Many mobile home owners also don't own the land under there homes they rent it or lease it. Not a good thing when the lot owner can jack up your rent. Sometimes renting gives you options that being tied down to a piece of unsalable property eliminates.
I think you are missing the point of the word "mobile". Lot owners certainly can jack up lot rents. Just as any landlord can. With a "mobile home"-you still own your home and have the option of taking it with you when you can afford to buy your own property. Can't afford your apartment rent-what do you do-live in your car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 09:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Romania has the highest home ownership rate in the world. This came about as the result of the dissolution of the Soviet Union when homes, mostly apartment units were sold pennies on the $. Homes stay in the family for generations and multi- generational occupancy is the norm.

The challenge is the average family does not have enough money to maintain their homes.

In contrast, home ownership rates in wealthy Switzerland are the lowest in Europe. The demand is greater than supply especially in urban areas where most jobs are. The Swiss enjoy a higher standard of living than do Romanians - depending on what one values.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I think you are missing the point of the word "mobile". Lot owners certainly can jack up lot rents. Just as any landlord can. With a "mobile home"-you still own your home and have the option of taking it with you when you can afford to buy your own property. Can't afford your apartment rent-what do you do-live in your car?

Pack up and move.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Actually, the Federal Government defines a mobil home as a factory- built home, built before 1976.

A manufactured home is a factory- built home built after 1976.

Mobile homes do not qualify for mortgage financing.

Manufactured homes do when permanently affixed to an approved foundation.

A motor home ( Winnebago) or trailer home ( Airstream) are typically deemed vehicles - dependent on number of wheels and interior finishes and may or may not qualify for a mortgage/ interest deduction.

There is an abundance of mobile homes throughout WVA with little to no value to anyone other than their occupants- often multigenerational families. Not likely, they could easily withstand being moved anywhere.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,178,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Mind you, when we lived there, there were no super Walmarts yet. We had one but it didn’t sell groceries. They hadn’t come that far yet.

I wasn’t super rural but in Bridgeport. My grocery bill shot up. I can remember being angry citing the differences in item prices. We moved there to be close to family and cheaper cost of living. The cheaper cost of living didn’t work out at all.
I was always a coupon shopper. I had a choice of two stores. I was so upset at not only the prices but the taxes on top of it. NJ didn’t have any taxes on groceries. Gas is still cheaper in NJ. NJ has notoriously had cheap gas in the past. It used to drive me crazy that I had to pump my own AND pay more for it. Just in the past two years, NJ has increased their gas taxes so it went up a little. Still cheaper there than PA.

I get the salt and the rust but to keep the kids out of school because the roads are a mess? Nope. Not acceptable.

We have teachers in the family there. Side note, this is a HUGE family. I joke that I should just send a box full of Christmas cards to the post office and just have them deliver to every address because we’re probably related or friends.
Anyway, we were very much on top of the teacher support last year going on. It was nice to see. I do think if they offer better pay, they will attract more quality teachers and hopefully their national ranking will go up. The teachers in our family are hoping the same result. Many teachers they’ve worked with have left for better salaries in other states. That’s a shame for the WV kids.
Just for the record, most col calculators I've looked at indicate that NJ is far more expensive to live in than WVA. To be certain there are "some" things cheaper in NJ, but overall, NJ if a far more expensive place to live. By the way, I've lived in NJ and in no way would I consider the overall cost of living reasonable there. Talk about property taxes.....da-mn! A large number of my clients have moved FROM NJ!

Old 04-11-2019, 11:25 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Actually, the Federal Government defines a mobil home as a factory- built home, built before 1976.

A manufactured home is a factory- built home built after 1976.

Mobile homes do not qualify for mortgage financing.
Manufactured homes do when permanently affixed to an approved foundation.

A motor home ( Winnebago) or trailer home ( Airstream) are typically deemed vehicles - dependent on number of wheels and interior finishes and may or may not qualify for a mortgage/ interest deduction.

There is an abundance of mobile homes throughout WVA with little to no value to anyone other than their occupants- often multigenerational families. Not likely, they could easily withstand being moved anywhere.
Right you are....and speaking of such, this is one good reason to invest with Warren Buffet - as Berkshire is quite big in manufactured housing.....

I'd live in some of the new manufactured homes....strangely enough, it's my wife who probably wouldn't....she was raised poor and my family was upwardly mobile. She definitely puts a stigma on factory-made homes (for no good reason, IMHO)......

I deliver Meals on Wheels and do other volunteer work that takes me to places that no tourists or even wealthier residents ever see. This is in "wealthy" Gulf Coast Florida, but it could be most anywhere. People live in sheds smaller than the one I keep my lawnmower and snowblower (up north) in. Many of the residents live in ancient mobile homes (trailers, usually) that are just sitting on a couple blocks or on the ground. These things aren't worth a nickel.

There is no shame in poverty. In fact, I think many religions would say that it is a benefit...and/or the way people should live.
There is some shame when there are many avenues available to get out of it....and if it affects others (family).

Back to WV...my assumption is that threads like this are part of propaganda....trying to convince people that things are the complete opposite of what they truly are. Backwards Bizzarro world...I call it. It all starts with "Trump is a praying and moral and ethical Christian".....and, since that is the case, everything else much be made in backwards world to fit it.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Right you are....and speaking of such, this is one good reason to invest with Warren Buffet - as Berkshire is quite big in manufactured housing.....

I'd live in some of the new manufactured homes....strangely enough, it's my wife who probably wouldn't....she was raised poor and my family was upwardly mobile. She definitely puts a stigma on factory-made homes (for no good reason, IMHO)......

I deliver Meals on Wheels and do other volunteer work that takes me to places that no tourists or even wealthier residents ever see. This is in "wealthy" Gulf Coast Florida, but it could be most anywhere. People live in sheds smaller than the one I keep my lawnmower and snowblower (up north) in. Many of the residents live in ancient mobile homes (trailers, usually) that are just sitting on a couple blocks or on the ground. These things aren't worth a nickel.

There is no shame in poverty. In fact, I think many religions would say that it is a benefit...and/or the way people should live.
There is some shame when there are many avenues available to get out of it....and if it affects others (family).

Back to WV...my assumption is that threads like this are part of propaganda....trying to convince people that things are the complete opposite of what they truly are. Backwards Bizzarro world...I call it. It all starts with "Trump is a praying and moral and ethical Christian".....and, since that is the case, everything else much be made in backwards world to fit it.
Also, for some odd reason there is this compulsion from a good number of people that makes them look down at others for where they live. It's not just like this one either. A lot of people want to do it to people who choose to live in NYC or Los Angelos. I don't understand it.

People have different ideas of what is best for them. Let them be.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Here's an interesting statistic; WV, NC and SC are in the top 4 states for people living in mobile homes. 16% in WV.

Don't get me wrong I don't have any issue with that, other than the fact that they are really unsafe in a tornado. But the reality is that many homes in poverty stricken WV don't meet the standards of homes in other states.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2019 at 12:42 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 11:59 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Here's an interesting statistic; WV, NC and SC are in the top 4 states for people living in mobile homes. 16% in WV.

Don't get me wrong I don't have any issue with that, other than the fact that they are really unsafe in a tornado. But the reality is that many homes in poverty stricken WV don't meet the standards of homes in other states.

And? Who really cares? As I said earlier-mobile home living still is a considerable step above renting an apartment. I'd guess that apartment dwellers are a higher percent of the population in say NYC or LA than WVA-but could be wrong.

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2019 at 12:41 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

Tornado's are few and far between in WV. Not that there are none but it's pretty rare.

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2019 at 12:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies