Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 12:02 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And? Who really cares? As I said earlier-mobile home living still is a considerable step above renting an apartment. I'd guess that apartment dwellers are a higher percent of the population in say NYC or LA than WVA-but could be wrong.
I don't think living in a mobile home is a step up from living in an apartment at all. Especially if you're comparing a mobile home in a trailer park (where you rent the land) and a nice apartment in an urban location. Maybe if you own the land the mobile home is on. But they do depreciate in value, so it's not much like home ownership in terms of financial benefit. If you owe more on your trailer than it's worth, then you'd be better off renting an apartment, financially speaking.

Also, when comparing two places, you should compare entire states or just cities, not a mixture of both. But yes, assuming the OP is accurate, approximately half of individuals in California and New York rent, so that would be a higher percentage than the quarter or so of West Virginians. There are fewer urban apartments to rent in West Virginia, the population is more spread out, the COL is very different, the types of jobs available are very different, etc. I'm not sure why anyone would even bother making the comparison, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And? Who really cares? As I said earlier-mobile home living still is a considerable step above renting an apartment. I'd guess that apartment dwellers are a higher percent of the population in say NYC or LA than WVA-but could be wrong.
Owning a mobile home is not the same as owning a stick built house. They tend to deteriorate over time, you really can't remodel them very easily. Like being baked and frozen in a glorified tin box. I can tell you this because I lived in one for a couple of years when I was a whippersnapper. Got out of there and moved up as soon as I could.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Also, for some odd reason there is this compulsion from a good number of people that makes them look down at others for where they live. It's not just like this one either. A lot of people want to do it to people who choose to live in NYC or Los Angelos. I don't understand it.

People have different ideas of what is best for them. Let them be.
I've been most everywhere and don't look down on people in a personal manner.....I am a student of history and of numbers (statistics) and believe in the General Welfare and Happiness of the People, so of course I am troubled by high STD's, early deaths, infant mortality, obesity and all the other problems of our society (which exist all through it).

People vote with their feet - sometimes slowly, but eventually they move on.

In 1950 WV had 2 million residents.
NJ had 4.8 million
Ohio 8 million
The USA had 150 million (now 320 million).

In 1950 the median age in WV was 26 years old, now it is 42. Either the population is not reproducing or the fruit of their loins are headed far away.

Now WV has 1.8 million, while the country has doubled in population. Lots of feet have been beating their way out of there for generations now and it's not due to lack of space (tightly populated places often stabilize due to such things).

Old 04-11-2019, 12:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I've been most everywhere and don't look down on people in a personal manner.....I am a student of history and of numbers (statistics) and believe in the General Welfare and Happiness of the People, so of course I am troubled by high STD's, early deaths, infant mortality, obesity and all the other problems of our society (which exist all through it).

People vote with their feet - sometimes slowly, but eventually they move on.

In 1950 WV had 2 million residents.
NJ had 4.8 million
Ohio 8 million
The USA had 150 million (now 320 million).

In 1950 the median age in WV was 26 years old, now it is 42. Either the population is not reproducing or the fruit of their loins are headed far away.

Now WV has 1.8 million, while the country has doubled in population. Lots of feet have been beating their way out of there for generations now and it's not due to lack of space (tightly populated places often stabilize due to such things).
It's not some conspiracy. WV is mountainous. It's not conducive for many businesses. The cost of transporting items is higher. That's not going to change. The young used to go into the mines. Now they have to go where the jobs are. There is nothing bad in that.

Do we expect GM to build a factory on top of Cheat Mountain? Is Amazon going to build a warehouse down some hollow? Of course not.

That's just the way it is.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:29 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...e-new-york-and

Looks like President Trump's economic agenda has lead to a West Virginia miracle.

It would be interesting to know how many have their homes paid off in West Virginia as opposed to California and New York also.

Looks, like 75% of West Virginians own their own homes. I would venture to guess that many own them free and clear also.

$372 property tax bill on a 1,900 square foot home on a huge lot and very low electric bills likely mean that once people owe mortgages that they are likely only paying a couple hundred a month for all their combined bills for nice single-family homes.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...22608324_zpid/

Wonder, what the property tax bill would be on a 1,900 square foot home on Long Island?

https://www.wvea.org/content/wvas-st...d-among-lowest

West Virginia also has 3 1/2 times the job growth rate year over year than Los Angeles thanks to President Trump's America First agenda which especially great for West Virginia.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atla...rginia.htm#eag

https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/ca_losangeles_md.htm
It's not a good place to live. And neither is living in your head.

btw West Virginia is the state of handouts. They are among the top if not the top state in getting more than what they paid in.

America’s top 10 states for mortgage-free homes
West Virginia
Mississippi
Louisiana
New Mexico

North Dakota
Oklahoma
Arkansas

South Dakota
Alabama
Florida

https://www.move.org/states-most-mor...ee-homeowners/

Ten worst states to live in

New Mexico
Mississippi

South Carolina
Oklahoma
Missouri
Indiana
Tennessee
Alabama
Louisiana
Arkansas

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/amer...e-in-2018.html

Old 04-11-2019, 01:33 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Just for the record, most col calculators I've looked at indicate that NJ is far more expensive to live in than WVA. To be certain there are "some" things cheaper in NJ, but overall, NJ if a far more expensive place to live. By the way, I've lived in NJ and in no way would I consider the overall cost of living reasonable there. Talk about property taxes.....da-mn! A large number of my clients have moved FROM NJ!
No doubt. We did the same. When the cost of living exceeded the raises in wages, we left NJ.

What I said was, back then. We lived more comfortably in NJ then we did in WV. Our pay greatly decreased when we moved there and our quality of life (things we enjoyed doing) had to go down too. That first year, it came time for Christmas. My husband asked when we were going to get the tree and my answer was that we weren’t. We didn’t have the disposable income. We moved back shortly after that. There just wasn’t enough opportunity for us.

Now??? We left NJ and there are many others doing the same. I don’t even recognize what NJ has become. WV is doing much better now than it was then. Would we move back? Nope. And for no other reason than we are perfectly happy, established and comfortable where we are. WV has had a lot of growth. We visit a few times per year and it’s good. Don’t think I could ever get used to their horrific road conditions. They never cease to amaze me.

NJ is just a nightmare to live in now. The taxes are completely out of control. The government is far too big. Education system is great but very top heavy. There are towns all around each other that are one and two square miles. They could easily regionalize but don’t. Superintendents in each town plus their admins, etc. Police departments, road departments, the same thing.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:21 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
The only downside for these fortunate home owners: they’re living in West Virginia.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not some conspiracy. WV is mountainous. It's not conducive for many businesses. The cost of transporting items is higher. That's not going to change. The young used to go into the mines. Now they have to go where the jobs are. There is nothing bad in that.

Do we expect GM to build a factory on top of Cheat Mountain? Is Amazon going to build a warehouse down some hollow? Of course not.

That's just the way it is.
I don't buy it.

Switzerland has many mountains and many industries - pharma, metal and many more.
Ever hear of Bavaria? Here is a pic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavari...650068382).jpg

We (taxpayers) built massive interstates which serve VW - rail lines already exist. High tech industries these days often use Airports for much of their business.

In Italy hillsides as steep or steeper then WV have been cultivated and productive for many centuries.

No....the problem is in the history, which you seem to have no interest in. The place, like many others, was used and abused by Capital...and the wealth sucked to stockholders somewhere.

Heck, just the 100's of square miles of relatively flat or slightly hilly terrain near the borders could support many tens of billions of dollars of GDP.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I don't buy it.

Switzerland has many mountains and many industries - pharma, metal and many more.
Ever hear of Bavaria? Here is a pic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavari...650068382).jpg
I do not see any businesses in that picture.

Quote:
We (taxpayers) built massive interstates which serve VW - rail lines already exist. High tech industries these days often use Airports for much of their business.

In Italy hillsides as steep or steeper then WV have been cultivated and productive for many centuries.

No....the problem is in the history, which you seem to have no interest in. The place, like many others, was used and abused by Capital...and the wealth sucked to stockholders somewhere.

Heck, just the 100's of square miles of relatively flat or slightly hilly terrain near the borders could support many tens of billions of dollars of GDP.
And it does . I'm sitting in one such place right now.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:02 PM

20,110 posts, read 9,028,155 times
you guys do know the state flower of West Virginia is a satellite dish, doncha?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies