Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 01:29 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This.

Conservatives will say whatever they can to paint places like West Virginia and Oklahoma and Mississippi as shining examples of American prosperity while simultaneously painting all of the big cities as liberal, anti-American cesspools.
Actually, places in the middle like Colorado are shining examples of American prosperity, however all states have a solid middle class and wealthy presence. I'm always surprised how ignorant people from places like New York are about places such as Alabama, where actually the majority of people have a more pleasant and more stable financial life than people in NYC for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 01:29 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...e-new-york-and

Looks like President Trump's economic agenda has lead to a West Virginia miracle.

It would be interesting to know how many have their homes paid off in West Virginia as opposed to California and New York also.

Looks, like 75% of West Virginians own their own homes. I would venture to guess that many own them free and clear also.

$372 property tax bill on a 1,900 square foot home on a huge lot and very low electric bills likely mean that once people owe mortgages that they are likely only paying a couple hundred a month for all their combined bills for nice single-family homes.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...22608324_zpid/

Wonder, what the property tax bill would be on a 1,900 square foot home on Long Island?

https://www.wvea.org/content/wvas-st...d-among-lowest

West Virginia also has 3 1/2 times the job growth rate year over year than Los Angeles thanks to President Trump's America First agenda which especially great for West Virginia.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atla...rginia.htm#eag

https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/ca_losangeles_md.htm
and at the end of the day it still is West Virginia !

Old 04-10-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I live in NJ.

I can tell you first hand how much fun it is to be "Jersey Poor"
I make above the US median.
I live at best as working class.
Until the kids are adults, it would be irresponsible of me to move out of a job with decent health insurance and apparently steady work.
Well, you should not be forced into poverty because of property taxes. Vote for change. I am thankful for our Taxpayer Bill of Rights here in CO.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:31 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Have you ever been to WV? Do you know what the economy is like there? Are you aware of the widespread pollution issues due to mining and former mining activity?
It’s not just mining.

Back in the ‘70’s I had a former resident of Charleston tell me about an Interstate bridge there that had to be regularly repainted because there were chemical plants on both sides of the river spewing fumes that literally ate the paint off of the bridge.

Now imagine breathing in that crap and the affects it has on health.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
It’s not just mining.

Back in the ‘70’s I had a former resident of Charleston tell me about an Interstate bridge there that had to be regularly repainted because there were chemical plants on both sides of the river spewing fumes that literally ate the paint off of the bridge.

Now imagine breathing in that crap and the affects it has on health.
I find this highly questionable. Do you think there aren't such factories in all states? Where is the EPA on this?

Old 04-10-2019, 01:37 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...e-new-york-and

Looks like President Trump's economic agenda has lead to a West Virginia miracle.

It would be interesting to know how many have their homes paid off in West Virginia as opposed to California and New York also.

Looks, like 75% of West Virginians own their own homes. I would venture to guess that many own them free and clear also.

$372 property tax bill on a 1,900 square foot home on a huge lot and very low electric bills likely mean that once people owe mortgages that they are likely only paying a couple hundred a month for all their combined bills for nice single-family homes.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...22608324_zpid/

Wonder, what the property tax bill would be on a 1,900 square foot home on Long Island?

https://www.wvea.org/content/wvas-st...d-among-lowest

West Virginia also has 3 1/2 times the job growth rate year over year than Los Angeles thanks to President Trump's America First agenda which especially great for West Virginia.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atla...rginia.htm#eag

https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/ca_losangeles_md.htm
Mixed opinions on this one..... personally I wouldn't want to live in either state. Sure, WV is cheap and you can afford to buy a house, but it's West Virginia for Pete's sake -- what do you do to pass the time?

Old 04-10-2019, 01:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
No reason to guess how many West Virginians own their homes free and clear, OP. As of a 2011, it comes out to about 47%. I agree that owning your own home is a really nice feeling, but, frankly, I enjoy owning my house in Colorado much more than I would in West Virginia. I am originally from that region of the country, so you can take me seriously when I say that it’s definitely not for me.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:53 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I find this highly questionable. Do you think there aren't such factories in all states? Where is the EPA on this?
That was told to me back in the ‘70’s. I have no idea if that’s still the case. There is a problem though with pollution in river valleys, because the chemicals in the air are sometimes trapped by an air inversion and remains trapped. Back in the ‘70s I regularly had to travel to Ashland, Ky. in the Huntington WV/Ashland KY/Ironton OH metro. Pollution was usually worse at night. I remember one night getting back to my motel downtown after a movie and a strong stench of sulfur following me into my room. Another morning, it was really foggy when I left my room but it smelled of ammonia. I learned to book a motel up in the hills outside of town instead of the river valley downtown. Another tidbit on pollution from our office staff there was on certain nights when the Alcoa plant was in operation, they would leave home to find their cars parked outside covered in little shards of metal. If they didn’t wash their cars relative quickly, it would rust through the paint.

I’m not saying it’s that bad now. Many of the plants causing that much pollution have either reduced their pollution or have closed down, but it’s still been a problem fairly recently, as indicated by this article about the effects of pollution in Charleston.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...hemical-valley

Old 04-10-2019, 01:56 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Who would want to live in West Virginia?
I'm considering it as a retirement location. Pretty state, lots of mountains-not excessively crowded (though still too many people), lots of outdoor recreation opportunities. I love Idaho-but winter last too damn long for a dedicated motorcyclist. And it's been discovered-housing costs are stupid.

Who would want to live in LA or NYC? Horribly overcrowded concrete s-holes.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
That was told to me back in the ‘70’s. I have no idea if that’s still the case. There is a problem though with pollution in river valleys, because the chemicals in the air are sometimes trapped by an air inversion and remains trapped. Back in the ‘70s I regularly had to travel to Ashland, Ky. in the Huntington WV/Ashland KY/Ironton OH metro. Pollution was usually worse at night. I remember one night getting back to my motel downtown after a movie and a strong stench of sulfur following me into my room. Another morning, it was really foggy when I left my room but it smelled of ammonia. I learned to book a motel up in the hills outside of town instead of the river valley downtown. Another tidbit on pollution from our office staff there was on certain nights when the Alcoa plant was in operation, they would leave home to find their cars parked outside covered in little shards of metal. If they didn’t wash their cars relative quickly, it would rust through the paint.

I’m not saying it’s that bad now. Many of the plants causing that much pollution have either reduced their pollution or have closed down, but it’s still been a problem fairly recently, as indicated by this article about the effects of pollution in Charleston.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...hemical-valley
Thank you for the additional information, as it's very helpful. I'm sure there are many environmental problems in WV, particularly mountain top removal. As a Republican and as an avid outdoorsman, I believe such practices should be regulated and banned, btw.

However, that does not negate the point of this thread. I myself would never live there, as I would never leave Colorado, but the fact is that many people in places such as California or NY believe everyone in places like WV or MS are toothless rednecks, which isn't the case at all.

That sort of thinking shows the ignorance of people who hold such views and in fact people from every state are pretty much the same as people from every other state. Some of us happen to live in places where living is a bit easier financially because of a less burdensome government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies