Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 11:11 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Farmers could replace it with hemp.
I've never met a pot head who ever once wanted to eat fresh fruits and vegetables after getting the munchies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 11:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
The Trump Admin pitched the concept of “ harvest baskets” to be delivered to the residences of SNAP recipients as a part of its 2018 proposed budget. A portion of the SNAP benefit would go towards the basket containing shelf stable milk, cereal, pasta, peanut butter, beans, canned fruits, vegetables and meat/ poultry and tuna.

It went no place fast in the Republican Congress. Not that it would have had a better chance with Democrats.

Who/ how brands would be chosen were issues.

Who/ how baskets would be delivered and funding were issues.

Theft of product at distribution sites was an issue.

Theft of baskets at destinations was an issue.

What percentage of a household benefit would go towards baskets was an issue.

Allergies were an issue.

Children are the primary beneficiaries of SNAP.

The Federal tax code has long favored breeders, regardless of the breeder’s ability or willingness to take responsibility for their children. The 2017 tax reform doubled the refundable Child Tax Credit which became effective in 2018.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Don't you consider an Instant Pot to be a luxury kitchen appliance, though? Granted, they're very useful - I have one myself - but I wouldn't have been able to afford a $60-$100+ item when I was on SNAP. Hell, I didn't even have a crock pot. My food was all cooked in regular pots & pans, stovetop or oven.

On rice - back in the 70's, we had LDS neighbors who served a lot of rice. They liked it with butter and sugar. Oh, and they also dipped their fresh tomato slices/wedges in sugar. What do you want to bet that unhealthy tradition has continued with their children & grandchildren?
Yeah, it is. The other option is to soak your bean days in advance. No extra effort, just some mindfulness.

Of course it is possible to turn whole foods unhealthy like they did. /ugh
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No doubt! China is supplying California in Pot and CBD
The only thing China is supplying California, and the U.S. for that matter, with in regards to drugs are chemicals like K2 and such.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky701 View Post
Sorry I am Not buying this one..( See Comment below) Junk food is never cheap.. chips and pop are both spendy if, you buy enough to fill you up.. I also understand that many on food stamps have jobs and its their choice what they spend their money on.. FINE just no using the food stamp card on crap.. There were and will be cheaters and abusers.. as sooon as you add humans to the ingredient you get bad actors lets just try to be helpful..
There's a lot more to it then just chips and pop. I personally have known food stamp recipients that would purchase groceries for someone in exchange for cash. They take that cash and eat out at junk food restaurants like Taco Bell, Burger King, Carl's Junior, McDonald's, etc. 7 days a week. Feeding their kids happy meals all day long.

In regards to groceries, what's cheaper (based on enough for one full meal):

2 liter bottle of coke, a box of instant mac & cheese and a can of spam. My estimate - right around $5.00 in places such as CVS or Walgreens

or

A gallon of milk, three types of fresh vegetables, a raw breast of chicken from the butcher and olive oil? My estimate - right around $20 - $25 at the local grocery

Which one is the healthier choice?

Last edited by FC76-81; 05-09-2019 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-09-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Ever been to a dollar store? Even the regular grocery has sales and store brands. Two-liter bottles of soda (pop to you ) are generally under a dollar regular price, and I've seen them as low as $.75 on sale.
Yes, Walgreens and CVS sell two liters that cheap too.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:54 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Perhaps the snap recipients are just buying the stuff they learned to eat from the years of school lunches.
Quote:

On rice - back in the 70's, we had LDS neighbors who served a lot of rice. They liked it with butter and sugar. Oh, and they also dipped their fresh tomato slices/wedges in sugar. What do you want to bet that unhealthy tradition has continued with their children & grandchildren?
Exactly. Not just school lunches though. As a whole Americans are addicted to sugar and carbohydrates. We have been feed the idea that high carb, low fat diet is the way to go for decades. People are going to continue their eating habits from childhood.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:02 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
So I just got back from grocery shopping. With the exception of sugar I bought to make syrup for our hummingbird feeders, everything else was fairly healthy, eggs, milk, cheese, bread, almond butter, potatoes, corn, celery, onions, lettuce, bananas, sweet potatoes, apples, pears, strawberries, watermelon, pineapple... and a seasoning mix for the brisket in the refrigerator.

No soda pop, as we don't drink that. No microwaved meals. Too much salt and not very filling. No cookies, candy, or cake, ... Did get some Dave's Killer bread. Toasted with almond butter is one of our go-to snacks.

No complicated recipes. Son will do the brisket on the grill Sunday. Will make stew with the leftovers. Other than grilling the brisket, everything else could be made in a microwave or on a one burner stove.

I'm pretty sure I spent more than what would be a Food Stamp allotment. But I'll be feeding 9 people for the next few days. There is no way I could do that on snacks and prepared food. We'd be bankrupt.

So, to answer the question above, if I looked at my grocery list and found only 40% was decent food, I'd be stunned.

If people want to live on chips and pop. So be it. But if the goal is to provide healthy nutrition for the less fortunate, allowing Food Stamps to be spent on non-nutritious food is foolish.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So I just got back from grocery shopping. With the exception of sugar I bought to make syrup for our hummingbird feeders, everything else was fairly healthy, eggs, milk, cheese, bread, almond butter, potatoes, corn, celery, onions, lettuce, bananas, sweet potatoes, apples, pears, strawberries, watermelon, pineapple... and a seasoning mix for the brisket in the refrigerator.

No soda pop, as we don't drink that. No microwaved meals. Too much salt and not very filling. No cookies, candy, or cake, ... Did get some Dave's Killer bread. Toasted with almond butter is one of our go-to snacks.

No complicated recipes. Son will do the brisket on the grill Sunday. Will make stew with the leftovers. Other than grilling the brisket, everything else could be made in a microwave or on a one burner stove.

I'm pretty sure I spent more than what would be a Food Stamp allotment. But I'll be feeding 9 people for the next few days. There is no way I could do that on snacks and prepared food. We'd be bankrupt.

So, to answer the question above, if I looked at my grocery list and found only 40% was decent food, I'd be stunned.

If people want to live on chips and pop. So be it. But if the goal is to provide healthy nutrition for the less fortunate, allowing Food Stamps to be spent on non-nutritious food is foolish.
Right off the bat the most expensive items you bought were the pineapple, celery, and cheese. Water melon this time of year is high cost per pound, which the cost goes way down as we near the end of summer. So that water melon was probably more expense per pound then the rest of the fruits you bought, not including the pineapple of course. A nice sized pineapple in my area is anywhere from $7 - $9 each right now. A nice seedless water melon in my area right now is right around $15.

How much per pound were each of those and how much in weight did you buy of each? The most expensive corn chips I'm aware of are the Casa Sanchez tortilla chips ($4.29 14 oz bag). These are the only chips I ever purchase. That one bag will last me a few days worth of snacking.

Last edited by FC76-81; 05-09-2019 at 12:44 PM..

Old 05-09-2019, 12:40 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Right off the bat the most expensive items you bought were the pineapple, celery, and cheese. Water melon this time of year is high cost per pound, which the cost goes way down as we near the end of summer. So that water melon was probably more expense per pound then the rest of the fruits you bought, not including the pineapple of course.

How much per pound were each of those and how much in weight did you buy of each? The most expensive corn chips I'm aware of are the Casa Sanchez tortilla chips ($4.29 14 oz bag). These are the only chips I ever purchase. That one bag will last me a few days worth of snacking.
Pineapple at Costco is like $2.99. Each.

Corn chips here, like most, are $5 to $8 a bag, unless you go to Costco and then like 4.99.

You need to take into consideration WHERE people are shopping and what part of the country they live in.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies