Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 10:27 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times

Advertisements

When I was younger, I went through a period of being in poverty. Never got food stamps or other benefits, but definitely would have qualified for everything.

We lived in a low-rent, tiny apartment in a relatively bad part of town -- the type that all poor people live in. It had a college dorm sized fridge, one electric burner, and touchy plumbing. It usually had ants coming in and sometimes mice, though we kept everything clean and set traps. Landlord wouldn't do anything. He knew we had no options.

The closest "food store" was 2 miles away through that bad part of town and it was a 7-11, a convenience store. The closest supermarket would require a 20-minute bus ride after a 3 block walk to get to the bus stop... and back again with groceries... and paying for the bus ticket.

Does that make things impossible? For some, yeah, pretty much. Was I going to walk 3 blocks and ride a bus filled with, to me, scary people with multiple bags of groceries after work... getting home late at night? Nope. Could I head on down to the local (ha - there was none local) shop and buy a pressure cooker? With what money?

Dramatic example, right? It was my life for about a year. Of course, some people on food stamps have more access to good food, live in non-dangerous areas, and make bad choices (many times, I think, out of sheer ignorance). But the general idea some people have that it is actually JUST a choice is ignorant in itself I think.

If the government wants to improve people's health, they'd do something about the food industry as a whole and incentivize ending food deserts with markets that actually carry real food. To think that the problem is just "poor people are dumb scammers who love junk food" is ridiculous.

People keep bringing up the fact that healthy food is cheaper. Someone said you can get a head of lettuce for less than a bag of chips. True - in some places - but that head of lettuce has 50 calories and a bag of chips has 2400. You can't live on 50 calories a day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree and I home cook 90% of what we eat, but it's not that easy for many poor people. I spent several years with group whose goal it was to help young women with children become financially independent and find stable housing and for many of them just finding a stove to cook on was a major problem. Many lived in weekly motels or monthly SRO's and they weren't allowed to even use a hotplate. Or they sofa surfed or rented a garage usually without kitchen privileges.

The cash TANF grant for 3 people was $383 so just paying rent was a challenge, buying an instapot wasn't even a consideration. Many of the places they lived were subject to rodent infestation so it was very difficult to adequately protect bulk food from mice and rats, and for most of them a trip to a real grocery store was $4 + $4 for children over 5. I went through some tough times for a few years a single mom, but I never had to deal with what these women do every day of their lives.

I don't disagree. I do LIKE the concept, but the devil is in the details.

Maybe double dollars for healthy (whole) foods? Something like that?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-10-2019, 11:07 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If they are going down this road, they should ban juice purchases too.

"That needs to change, pediatricians say. The Academy’s position statement, released Monday, boils it down succinctly: “Fruit juice offers no nutritional advantage over whole fruit.”"

https://www.latimes.com/science/scie...htmlstory.html

There's a reason orange juice is recommended for diabetics in a hypoglycemic emergency; the sugar is super fast to absorb. I adore orange juice, but it's too sugary for me, and I can drink a lot of it very fast, so I just buy oranges.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:14 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
I don't know why politicians think they can fix welfare by signing something into law to make peoples lives more difficult.They don't know that nothing can be worse than being poor. People on welfare who don't work should have to show up for at least ten hours a week for day or evening classes in; cooking, nutrition, home economics, drug abuse,and parenting and anything else the causes poverty. And this should be their job every week day until they are off welfare.

Forbidding them to buy chips and pop is playing right into their hands. Once the bill is signed into law it will empower them to know they are eating chips, cookies and pop that the government paid for.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My kids took their lunches. I would not have them eating the garbage served by schools..
I like what the poster above said.

People receiving social services are not your children. You don't get to dictate their diets.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,376 times
I suspect this is more about grandstanding and legal precedent setting with an eye on other things down the road than genuine concern for health of poor kids.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:17 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I like what the poster above said.

People receiving social services are not your children. You don't get to dictate their diets.
People who have no knowledge of nutrition need to learn one eats for reasons other than hunger.

What good is it to give people money to buy stuff and not enable them to get the most bang for their buck nutrition wise? Handing a person money to buy food is only half the problem solved.

Remember that old saying about give me a fish and I'll eat for today. Teach me to fish and I'll eat for a lifetime.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:18 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,129,341 times
Quote:
That is complete and total BS.

Do you care what your family consumes? Do you think children should be fed food that will help their minds and bodies.

IMO, schools have been serving crap for years. And yes, I discussed it with the superintendent, principal and the district dietitians. My kids took their lunches. I would not have them eating the garbage served by schools.

Perhaps when a person applies for SNAP, they can be given a class in what little bodies need to grow.

And yes, put some rich idiot grandmas in there, too. My MIL used to put coke in the babies bottle, then wonder why they never slept.
Yep. We used to have Chicken Fried Steak, which we so fondly used to refer to it as Chicken Fried Fat. Also Pig in a Blanket, and I was the kid that would suck on a few mustard packets, instead of eating that terrible thing, to tied me over until dinner cause I absolutely hated hot dogs as a kid and still do as an adult. Big difference between then and now is, then....we used to bike or skateboard from home to school and back every day of the week. We also were very physically involved in various activities throughout the entire day. Now kids just sit around on computers and cell phones and get rides wherever they need to go. Yes we used to eat border line bad junk food in school, but we'd have it burned completely off and out of our systems by dinner time at home, which consisted of a good home cooked meal with quality healthy ingredients. Big difference between then and now.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't disagree. I do LIKE the concept, but the devil is in the details.

Maybe double dollars for healthy (whole) foods? Something like that?
Not a bad idea but I'd like to see all consumers given some kind of incentive to buy healthier food because SNAP recipients are definitely not the only ones who make bad food choices.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
People who have no knowledge of nutrition need to learn one eats for reasons other than hunger.
And you can't assume that everyone who is poor has no understanding of nutrition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies