Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 01:25 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
People who have no knowledge of nutrition need to learn one eats for reasons other than hunger.

What good is it to give people money to buy stuff and not enable them to get the most bang for their buck nutrition wise? Handing a person money to buy food is only half the problem solved.

Remember that old saying about give me a fish and I'll eat for today. Teach me to fish and I'll eat for a lifetime.
Then that would be about 35% of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 01:26 PM

19,650 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I don't know why politicians think they can fix welfare by signing something into law to make peoples lives more difficult.They don't know that nothing can be worse than being poor. People on welfare who don't work should have to show up for at least ten hours a week for day or evening classes in; cooking, nutrition, home economics, drug abuse,and parenting and anything else the causes poverty. And this should be their job every week day until they are off welfare.

Forbidding them to buy chips and pop is playing right into their hands. Once the bill is signed into law it will empower them to know they are eating chips, cookies and pop that the government paid for.
Yes force them to do more things. The right does a lot of hand wringing over this. They are not going to change a thing with their rules except for making life more difficult for poor people. This is just poking at them and will do nothing to make them less poor. They hate programs for the poor but can't kill the programs so they try to bother and humiliate the recipients. They do not care about their physical, mental health or self esteem as they claim, they just want them to go away, if not through finding appropriate work, then finding reasons to kick them off the programs and into the street.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:33 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Let me get this straight.
I ask for a handout. I buy junk food get fat and land in
the hospital with complications only to apply and get
approved for SSI disability?

Gluttony is a sin....................
And it's not just the poor. For the record, I don't have an issue with limiting this type of food with food stamps.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:36 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
I remember when the govt gave out large cans of food, including chicken, and blocks of cheese. Maybe go back to that.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:37 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Beggars can't be choosers.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:03 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I remember when the govt gave out large cans of food, including chicken, and blocks of cheese. Maybe go back to that.
You dont have a problem with the government stockpiling 500 million pounds of cheese made with milk dairy farmers couldn't sell due to increased production cause by government subsidies. Cheese sitting in storage (costing tax payers $) until it began to mold? But there is a problem letting food stamp recipients buy what they want with their $250/month allotment.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:13 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes force them to do more things. The right does a lot of hand wringing over this. They are not going to change a thing with their rules except for making life more difficult for poor people. This is just poking at them and will do nothing to make them less poor. They hate programs for the poor but can't kill the programs so they try to bother and humiliate the recipients. They do not care about their physical, mental health or self esteem as they claim, they just want them to go away, if not through finding appropriate work, then finding reasons to kick them off the programs and into the street.
A lot of people already feel humiliated when using a food stamp card in a public place. And it doesn't help that other customers in line or the cashiers sometimes make rude remarks. It's not pleasant or easy. And food stamp assistance is not a lot of money, they have to budget carefully.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:28 PM

41,969 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
But it's also a total waste of time to regulate the diets of people on benefits. Besides, who's diet are they supposed to follow? Vegetarians? Vegans? Meat eaters? Gluten free or grain free? Dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free? Exactly who's diet are they supposed to follow?
Exactly, and no matter which choices people made, someone else will be scrutinizing their shopping carts, complaining about how they should be eating this and shouldn't be eating that.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:52 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I like what the poster above said.

People receiving social services are not your children. You don't get to dictate their diets.

I have no problem with dictating what will be given as free to them. No one is saying they can't spend any discretionary money of their own on soda and chips.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-10-2019, 04:55 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not a bad idea but I'd like to see all consumers given some kind of incentive to buy healthier food because SNAP recipients are definitely not the only ones who make bad food choices.
Me too. OMG, do you know how stoked I would be to get a discount on whole foods?!! That's 90% of my shopping, it would be worth it's weight in gold.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies