Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 05:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Michelle Obama was able to do it in schools. Use that same formula for store bought food. Everything is bar coded so its easy to put that in the system and block EBT payment on those items. Not a nightmare, pretty easy to do. As it stands lots of things are not allowed on food stamps as it is. People pay cash for those items at the end of the transaction.

Its funny how those on the right were against what Michelle Obama did and by the comments here those on the left don't like making people buy healthy items with food stamps. As a libertarian I am resist the government getting in the middle of things but in this case I would like to see it tried out.
did you read about Michelle Obama's huge failure with her school lunches programs? Kids would not eat the food and schools wasted tons of money and food! Michelle's good intentions were a failure. all the schools discontinued the menu.

Good food is an acquired taste if used to junk food.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-09-2019 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 05:41 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthca...ary-drinks-ban

Let’s hope this bill passes, it’s the only real way to curb obesity among America’s underclass
Didn't you guys compared Michelle Obama to Hitler or something for promoting healthy eating?

Old 05-09-2019, 05:48 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Let food stamp folks buy what they want. I don't care what they eat. it would be a nightmare to decide what is junk food. I consider most pre-packaged, fast food, and frozen meals junk food! many would disagree.
I think white rice and white bread are junk food.

Which is why it's so hard to define.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Yes, it's hard to define.

And I think it would be wrong to tell someone they can't buy rice with their food stamp money.

That's why I don't believe in placing food bans for people using food stamp cards. It also costs taxpayer money to implement policies on what can and can't be purchased.

The only exception I would make is, I think liquor or beer should not be purchased using food stamp money.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

And yet millions of Asians eat it as a large portion of their calories and are much healthier than us.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-09-2019, 07:31 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Your example is interesting but there are churches and some charities that will help with temporary housing. I ended up evicting someone from one of my properties. It was a couple with a kid. The guy had trouble keeping a job, had a good one when I rented the place to him. After a year of paying the rent he got fired and went the church route. Ended up paying the rent at the last minute three months in a row because he got a church to pay it. Then ran out of churches and time. And this was in Texas.

I don't know how that works where you are but someone gets a church to get them in the door somewhere they don't need to pawn their foodstamp money.

I think making more cash available is opening up more cash is opening a can of worms. I get that in this case it works but I am not sure you are always getting the truth as a case worker. People say what they have to in order to keep the benefits coming in. I heard this all the time from my ex.

At least in Northern California churches are maxed out with offering assistance, there are large numbers of homeless here including homeless families, about the most you can get is a 2 week motel voucher from Salvation Army or if you can make contact with someone in a church they might let you park your RV/car in their parking lot for a day or two. I understand the concept of what you are saying and my sister in law and her husband people who are down on their luck through their church but you just don't see it here.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
did you read about Michelle Obama's huge failure with her school lunches programs? Kids would not eat the food and schools wasted tons of money and food! Michelle's good intentions were a failure. all the schools discontinued the menu.

Good food is an acquired taste if used to junk food.
That's funny because except for minor changes the program is still in effect:

Quote:
Schools won’t have to cut more salt from meals just yet and some will be able to serve kids fewer whole grains, under changes to federal nutrition standards announced [today].

The move by the Trump administration partially rolls back rules championed by former first lady Michelle Obama as part of her healthy eating initiative.

As his first major action in office, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said the department will delay an upcoming requirement to lower the amount of sodium in meals while continuing to allow waivers for regulations that all grains on the lunch line must be 50 percent whole grain.

Schools could also serve 1 percent flavored milk instead of the nonfat now required.

“If kids aren’t eating the food, and it’s ending up in the trash, they aren’t getting any nutrition — thus undermining the intent of the program,” said Perdue, who traveled to a school in Leesburg, Va., to make the announcement. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sc...ram-cancelled/

Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
I've been against this because I don't think it'll work, and I'm against government deciding what people can eat. But eff it, go ahead and try it, Texas.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:45 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I've been against this because I don't think it'll work, and I'm against government deciding what people can eat. But eff it, go ahead and try it, Texas.

Funnily enough, the federal government also appears to be against micromanaging people's diets. There are few rules on SNAP.

Of course, if Texas does pass this, they will be rebuffed, like others who have tried. They are administering benefits in a defined program, not defining the benefits.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:04 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
One thing that makes me wonder is whether or not people know how to cook.

One can make out as a bandit when they do by buying raw goods. Of course, all these pushes to have those on food stamps only able to buy raw goods does worry me as well for if they have to get that, what will it do to the supply for those of us who use such for a simple budget? After all, as many times stated, I live off of powdered milk.

So between A (ie, if they don't how to cook, then what?) and B, is this really a thought out plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies