Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 09:45 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I will never understand why people are concerned with what those on food stamps eat.
There is no definitive correlation between receiving food stamps and obesity.
That said it would probably be best if FS did not pay for soda and junk food. We ALL need to greatly limit sugar and highly processed food.

Apparently there is:

The Link Between Food Stamps and Obesity. ... Forty-two percent of low-income women in the United States are obese, and the rate of obesity is even higher among women who participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -- formerly the food stamp program.Sep 28, 2011
The Link Between Food Stamps and Obesity - NYTimes.com
https://www.nytimes.com/...food-stam...ps-and-obesity
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 10:05 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
They used to give cash to homeless in San Francisco that they were suppose to use to pay rent. However since a large percentage of homeless there have substance abuse issues more often than not they did not use the money for rent. So they had to treat them like children and give them paper vouchers.

When you have people who cannot take care of themselves like most adults can you need to treat them like children for their own good.

Giving cash to welfare recipients most of who have dependent children would be a disaster and put their children at risk. They prove they are worthy being treated like adults when the get off the public dole.
I'm not sure why anyone would think giving cash in lieu of a rent voucher to a homeless person would be a great idea, too many have mental health or substance abuse problems, but having worked with single moms who were on welfare I don't think they need to be treated like children, most of them are like any other parent their kids welfare comes first. If children are harmed, or neglected that's a problem for children's protective services -- there is no way to ensure that kids are cared for by micromanaging the benefits their parents receive.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:14 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Apparently there is:

The Link Between Food Stamps and Obesity. ... Forty-two percent of low-income women in the United States are obese, and the rate of obesity is even higher among women who participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -- formerly the food stamp program.Sep 28, 2011
And I can post links refuting it.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:17 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
And perhaps you could explain why you continue to live in a country that votes for taxes.

Time after time you post that your are being robbed via taxes to pay for things you don't want to pay for.

We all are paying for things we don't want to pay for.

For example, I don't want to pay for Trump's constant trips to Mar-a-Lago. I don't want to pay for useless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't want to pay the salaries of legislators who refuse to do their jobs.

While the Banana Republicans are always hot on the trail of eliminating taxes for the rich, the rest of us will always be stuck paying taxes.

Your choices are to figure out a way to get rich or to find a country that doesn't tax the citizens.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2019, 10:20 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have watched countless times someone in front of me with kids in tow buy the absolute worst for you food. Tons of chips, frozen dinners, sugary foods of all types and not a vegetable to be found and then pay of it with their EBT card. Its obvious because they have to fork over cash for the booze and cigs they are also buying.

I agree that adding more regs bothers me but the reality is too many on welfare are just way too dumb to understand the connection between what you eat and your health. And or are too lazy to prepare healthy meals from scratch. Since I as a taxpayer will eventually foot the bill for their bad choices with endless medical care better to steer them in the right direction now.

This should be a federal law.
And I have watched countless times someone in front of me buying the absolute worst food not paying with an EBT card.
I often see men shopping alone their baskets containing nothing but frozen dinners, snack cakes and soda. I assume they are single.

So how much of your money pays for medical care due to food choices of food stamp recipients?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Apparently there is:

That's true but I don't think that correlation necessarily equals causation. What other factors could lead to obesity for the SNAP eligible population? How does education, access to real grocery stores, full kitchen vs limited ability to prepare meals play into obesity? I don't have those answers, I did volunteer work with poor mothers who received SNAP I've noticed a few things - more of them seem to suffer from depression and other mental health issues than you would expect, they also tend to run out of benefits toward the end of the month and then binge shop when they get the next months allotment.

I wish someone would do a study of obesity among California SSI recipients vs SSI recipients in other states because in California SSI recipients are not eligible for SNAP, they get a cash supplement for food in lieu of SSI. It might not give any definitive answers but I think it might provide insights into whether recipients do better when their assistance is not earmarked as being usable only for food.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:26 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Apparently there is:

A plausible answer and According to Occam's Razor, the most likely is: Junk food is cheap. You need to fill a home with $500 bucks for a month, cheap junk is how you do it.

The correlation between Poverty and Obesity is strong regardless of food stamp use. Those that qualify for food stamps are close or below poverty levels, therefore the correlation lines better with Poverty and not Food Stamp use alone.

Ill spell it out again:
In other words, the food that a poor person buys is directly related to the COST of the food, not the type. Hence, poor people buy junk because junk is cheaper than good food. A change in buying habits would require a change in pricing or forced government intervention (as in this Texas bill) because it goes against basic economic principles simple enough for a child to understand.

This seems like an easy concept. This is exactly how this very question would be asked on the SAT test given to high schoolers around the country. In other words your high school children already understand this concept if they are going to college.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And I have watched countless times someone in front of me buying the absolute worst food not paying with an EBT card.
No kidding, I used to live in a toney part of Reno, most of the local residents shopped at the same grocery store and I would be surprised if 1% were SNAP recipients but if you were going to decide who was getting food stamps because of junk food purchases you would have thought they all were. I recall one lady pushing two carts full of soda and garbage food through the checkout line, when she was done I sort of rolled my eyes at the cashier who said "yeah I know and she's a pediatrician and has 3 kids of her own"

Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
A plausible answer and According to Occam's Razor, the most likely is: Junk food is cheap. You need to fill a home with $500 bucks for a month, cheap junk is how you do it.

The correlation between Poverty and Obesity is strong regardless of food stamp use. Those that qualify for food stamps are close or below poverty levels, therefore the correlation lines better with Poverty and not Food Stamp use alone.

Ill spell it out again:
In other words, the food that a poor person buys is directly related to the COST of the food, not the type. Hence, poor people buy junk because junk is cheaper than good food.
This seems like an easy concept.
yep, which explains why Walmart puts up potato chip displays next to their produce department.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:29 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Ill spell it out again:
In other words, the food that a poor person buys is directly related to the COST of the food, not the type. Hence, poor people buy junk because junk is cheaper than good food.

This seems like an easy concept.
No doubt. Vastly cheaper. Check out the deals on chips, soda, etc. - amazing amount of calories for almost no money......

Any real attempt to limit food stamps food is going to hit a brick wall when the BIG GUNS of Pepsi, Coke, ADM, Cargill and others who profit off franked-food go and visit their legislators.

Texas would have more chance of doing E-Verify (wink wink) than doing this...with any teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies