Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 09:23 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,435,232 times

Advertisements

5) There are enough people stupid enough to vote for him

Old 05-11-2019, 09:25 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,856,759 times
It's really scary that everyone who wants it gets at least one vote...

Old 05-11-2019, 09:26 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,831,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
5) There are enough people stupid enough to vote for him
Most of them aren’t stupid. They are single issue voters (or maybe a few issues) and they can ignore his faults because they support him on those issues. Abortion probably take the cake.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:34 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,435,232 times
4) The venom liberals spew toward conservatives.

You have to be ****ing kidding me. Conservative venom toward liberals has been going on for decades at full speed. People like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter and Ted Nugent and other people are always being praised for "sticking it to the libs". High ranking Republicans, like members of Congress, routinely make snide and insulting and demeaning remarks about how awful "liberals" are. Like Ted Cruz's "New York values" crack and other comments about the "coastal elites" or the cities (where the people aren't "real Americans" like those who live in small towns)

And then every election the minority vote and the urban vote, if it put the Democrat in the White House is said to have "skewed" the results. But if the white vote, or the rural vote, puts the Republican in hey the people have spoken.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,070,140 times
Quote:

You have to be ****ing kidding me. Conservative venom toward liberals has been going on for decades at full speed. People like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter and Ted Nugent and other people are always being praised for "sticking it to the libs". High ranking Republicans, like members of Congress, routinely make snide and insulting and demeaning remarks about how awful "liberals" are. Like Ted Cruz's "New York values" crack and other comments about the "coastal elites" or the cities (where the people aren't "real Americans" like those who live in small towns)

And then every election the minority vote and the urban vote, if it put the Democrat in the White House is said to have "skewed" the results. But if the white vote, or the rural vote, puts the Republican in hey the people have spoken.
It's both sides dude. Both sides need to stop. I love everybody. But white nationalism, alt right, woke pro black, feminism of all sorts and sjw must take a chill pill for a bit and stop dipping into thier emotions.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:54 AM

34,257 posts, read 18,628,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It's both sides dude. Both sides need to stop. I love everybody. But white nationalism, alt right, woke pro black, feminism of all sorts and sjw must take a chill pill for a bit and stop dipping into thier emotions.
The MEDIA stirs them up to create viewership. I turned them off.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:56 AM

18,514 posts, read 9,188,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Democrats have fallen into Trump's trap. This was all intentional.
I don’t understand what you mean. Can you explain?

Old 05-11-2019, 09:59 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,689,822 times
Quote:
Yes, Trump will win again but it's because of the culture war. Opposition to and anger about abortion, LGBT rights, legalization of "recreational drugs," and reaffirming our country's "Judeo-Christian" heritage and values run the show in this country today. Us progressives are simply going to have to wait for this era to pass and it will, just like the Moral Majority did when the 80s became the 90s.
Yeah the anti-American hateful democrats outed themselves to soon and that will cause a delay.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:13 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
The unemployment numbers are boosted by companies like Uber. This was going on under Obama as well. That's how he got his unemployment numbers down. Driving for Uber is not having a job.
It is possible. That said, I don't think the gig economy was as wide-spread under Obama. It was there, but it wasn't as common as it is today. How many people are "influencers" on YouTube, Uber/Lyft/Postmates/DoorDash/etc. drivers, and other jobs we didn't think were "jobs" years ago. Note, I am not saying they aren't working or whatever, but they aren't doing traditional employable jobs and yet not fully unemployed. I don't even know if they aren't underemployed, I just know they wouldn't be counted in that.

Quote:
I would say this and the religious aspect is my least favorite aspects of the Trump era. Republicans are also very successfully working to tie patriotism to racial and religious identity. Part of Trumpism is this idea that America is a "Christian nation" and that Jerry Falwell's brand of Christianity is a part of our national identity and if you don't share that ideology you aren't a real American. Our country was founded on religious freedom and that means religious freedom for EVERYONE. The Episcopalian church has the same right to recognize same-sex marriage as the Baptist church has to prohibit it and the government has to be impartial.

Today it's almost like we are in an extreme version of the post-9/11 patriotism wave in which Republicans tried to tie patriotism to support for Bush and the War on Terror and if you questioned the President in any way, you were un-American.
It's a mix of Vietnam/Civil Rights Era patriotism (questioning and protesting the status quo is no-no) and post-terrorism 9/11 patriotism. That said, the questions of not flying an American flag out in the yard isn't as bad as 9/11 patriotism. However the patriotism is tied to standing at attention for the anthem and the flag but not about how we treat the flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I think you are absolutely right.

You would probably consider me to be “liberal.” But I’m more of an FDR / New Deal liberal: I’m mainly concerned about rising inequality and the condition of the working and middle classes. In other words, I care about the stuff that Democrats used to care about (30 years ago).

Today’s Democrats care more about *non-citizens* that are here *illegally*. Even from a cynical political standpoint, how is that a viable strategy for winning elections? The only explanation is that today’s Democrats are just another party that puts Big Business interests ahead of the interests of ordinary citizens. Big Business loves cheap illegal labor.
I think the issue is semantics that they don't care about anyone that isn't a non-citizen. They actually don't. What they DO care about is that we are not treating them like animals like Trump is and separating them from their families (and Obama did, though nowhere near the Trump levels.) I'm sorry but people are people and shouldn't be subjected to that. I may not like that there are tons of people coming mostly on false information, but there are better ways to deal with it.

As for Big Business, that is the Biden/Clinton Mainstream Democrats, not the Bernie-crats. Mainstream Democrats are the real RINOs, not the Rockefellers that hang-on to being Republican to win their district (Peter King, as much as I like you, you are only R because if you were D, Long Islanders wouldn't vote for you fearing city liberalism.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have intense dislike for the Democrats as a whole today. They are pursing policies that are damaging to the country. But I would be willing to vote for the Democrats if they would somehow return to FDR roots.

But the problem is the primary system. Most people do not vote in the primaries which allows radicals to dominate the primaries, which in turn is why the Democrats keep pandering to the far left. And this time there is a twenty or more Democratic candidates which means in order to get noticed they are going to have move even further to the left, so far left they are probably going to lose the general election in 2020.
I'm sorry you have a dislike to Democrats, but I feel the Republicans under Trump especially are doing the exact same thing.

It seemed to work in 2008 when the Republicans got us McCain and again in 2012 when the Republicans got Romney. Oh wait, there is that Ron Paul conspiracy that he got shafted. Again 2016 for the Democrats we got Hillary, but that was due to anyone but Bernie being a sock-puppet propped up to have a choice. I may not like that Democrats out of the woodwork are running for 2020, but at least we do not have total sock-puppets this time.

The problem is besides national primaries, the Republicans have swayed far right in the primaries. The only national primary where it swayed far right was 2016 but I attribute the MSM for that. I mean until Trump was hated CNN, he regularly gave CNN interviews as well as Fox News, as a wannabe Republican nominee. People forget that CNN was VERY friendly to Trump with airtime and interviews despite being critical of him until about the time he became a lock for the Republican nomination.

Quote:
Most of them aren’t stupid. They are single issue voters (or maybe a few issues) and they can ignore his faults because they support him on those issues. Abortion probably take the cake.
And if you are voting for a single issue, you are stupid. Plain and simple, end of conversation. I'm sorry but if you look at a candidate and find a single issue you disagree with and is a non-starter, you get what you deserve with the person you vote for. No candidate is gonna be everything you want. I'm sure if the Trump crazies who see no wrong actually find a way to take off the blinders, they will realize he is largly Obama but Republican and crazy old (white) man.

Quote:

Exactly. The problem is on both sides, we cannot see that our team is playing dirty. It is only when the otherside does that we call for the refs. I and my brother watch hockey and unlike most fans, we will give the refs when our teams (New York Islanders and Arizona Coyotes) warranted penalties and say we got a gift when the refs call a marginal call on the other team. Most people do not. Most people on even the clearest call will think the refs are out to get them when their team gets called for a penalty. Replace team with political leaning and you'll see it. I mean look at those saying Trump is giving it to the libs, that is EXACTLY this logic. For the US to not enter a Second Civil War during or after Trump will be a miracle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It's both sides dude. Both sides need to stop. I love everybody. But white nationalism, alt right, woke pro black, feminism of all sorts and sjw must take a chill pill for a beit and stop dipping into thier emotions.
You are right but the problem is they can't until people stop paying attention. The quickest way to stop a situation is when people ignore it. You remove the audience to say the alt. right, white nationalists, woke blacks, feminists, SJWs, PETA, etc. and they'll go back to the areas away from the lamp-posts. Sadly we don't want to do this and groups get notice. I mean remember how PETA started the "Stop using anti-animal language" meme? Instead of forgetting about it, it got mocked and turned into tons. Had I not seen the mocked memes of Anti-bee language or anti-gamer language, I wouldn't have heard about the meme in the first place.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:19 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,759,189 times
Perhaps true Trump will win again...

When you have so many people who will credit Trump for anything positive regardless whether Trump deserves the credit, anything is possible. Credit for anything and everything positive including a long-in-the-making economic recovery. Might just be the economy will help Trump get another term, but I'm not sure if "it's the economy stupid" or whether we're too stupid to understand the economy. For example someone else here actually blamed Obama for the stock market crash and all those jobs lost. Talk about confusion, but despite all the confusion, let's just hope the economy continues to do well either way. Given so much confusion, should be Trump's election to lose but if any POTUS can lose re-election with a strong economy, Trump can.

When not entirely behind Trump's big beautiful wall or all of Trump's nasty rhetoric means in the mind of Trump supporters that "priority [is] given to illegal aliens," then again, anything is possible. Obviously we're playing the propaganda game again and leaving fair reason and logic on the sidelines. All viewpoints about these issues have been beaten to death in this forum, and we all know there is no reconciling the differing perspectives, so what to do? Well start another thread to nowhere of course! If you haven't heard my opinion enough times already, how about yet again?!?

When every consideration more inclined toward "the little guy," the disadvantaged, is interpreted as "bribing voters" to "buy votes," what to think? How do you bend the arc of wealth massing in the hands of the upper few while so many Americans in the lower half of the economic spectrum can barely make ends meet? Affordable health care, education? The answer for Trump supporters is that if you try, you are about nothing but "giveaways" to "bribe voters." Again not altogether the smartest form of reason, but what's new? Sure makes it easy to be comfortable with doing nothing anyway. "We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- JFK

"The venom liberals spew toward conservatives."

The rhetoric. Please. Addressing comments like this is like trying to suggest everyone stay clean in a mud fight. Even when protesters tried to counter the white supremacists in Charlottesville, Trump said "you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides." If we can be asked to believe the likes when it comes to white supremacists, can't be all that more difficult to give the same benefit of the doubt to liberals. Right?

Right. Now there's some Trump "reason and logic" I never thought I would be using, but I know nothing really works here, so why not try something new?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies