Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 05:44 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It seems like the people with pro-legalization agenda have played us.

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/marij...cXtC-ZLXBky3qQ

“How Does Cannabis Help Depression?” is the topic of an article on Leafly, the largest cannabis website. But a mountain of peer-reviewed research in top medical journals shows that marijuana can cause or worsen severe mental illness, especially psychosis, the medical term for a break from reality. Teenagers who smoke marijuana regularly are about three times as likely to develop schizophrenia, the most devastating psychotic disorder.

After an exhaustive review, the National Academy of Medicine found in 2017 that “cannabis use is likely to increase the risk of developing schizophrenia and other psychoses; the higher the use, the greater the risk.” Also that “regular cannabis use is likely to increase the risk for developing social anxiety disorder.”
You might want to read this paper. The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research

In summary:

Quote:
This chapter outlines the committee's efforts to review the current evidence base for the association of cannabis use with prioritized mental health conditions. The health conditions reviewed in this chapter include schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders, bipolar disorder, depression, suicide, anxiety, and PTSD. The committee formed a number of research conclusions related to these health endpoints; however, it is critically important that each of these conclusions be interpreted within the context of the limitations discussed in the Discussion of Findings sections. See Box 12-3 for a summary list of the chapter's conclusions.

A conclusion weighted as substantial was reached for the research question addressing the statistical association between cannabis use and the development of schizophrenia or other psychoses. As noted in the chapter's Discussion of Findings sections, there are common trends in the types of study limitations found in this evidence base.

The most common are limitations in the study design (e.g., a lack of appropriate control groups, a lack of long-term follow-ups) variable analysis of cannabis use (i.e., dose/amount/frequency current versus. lifetime); small sample sizes; and research gaps in the studies of depression and PTSD.

These limitations highlight the enormous amount of available opportunity to advance the current research agenda, in the hopes of providing comprehensive and conclusive conclusions on the potential harms and therapeutic benefits of cannabis or cannabinoid use.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:50 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It seems like the people with pro-legalization agenda have played us.

After an exhaustive review, the National Academy of Medicine found in 2017 that “cannabis use is likely to increase the risk of developing schizophrenia and other psychoses; the higher the use, the greater the risk.” Also that “regular cannabis use is likely to increase the risk for developing social anxiety disorder.”
Are you talking about the SAME group of people who insist you buy there over the counter drugs that you’ll be hooked on for life?

My wife and I both smoke it helps with her chronic pain and my ADD and we’ve been smoking for some time now. I’m less likely to go off on some one in it then off it.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:30 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Unfortunately there's no convincing most people on this.

This is just another issue which we are going to have to wait for the authoritarian Christian Right to fade from political dominance so that more rational thinking can prevail. Until then, there's no getting beyond Reefer Madness. Too many decades of propaganda from all levels of government and from the pulpit is difficult to discard.

I believe things are changing. Its really the politicians that are afraid to stand up and be counted on this.

Near my town in Oklahoma there is a Christian based health care office that has the word "Christ" in the name of the office who is a Medical Marijuana outreach provider and is holding low cost Medical Marijuana doctor's appointments this coming Friday. I was really surprised when I saw the sign out front. Good for them. This is a small very religious conservative town of about 1,000 people. If it can happen there and be supported by that office it can happen anywhere. I would mention there name but not sure if that is allowed on here.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:55 PM

151 posts, read 88,327 times
My only opinion on this subject comes from my personal experience. I am a Paramedic and have worked in both big city ER's and in the 9-1-1 system. I have never been beaten up or threatened with a gun by marijuana users. Alcoholics on the other hand...

Any and all drugs can be used, abused and not all are tolerated by every body. However, the biggest issue is that while marijuana has shown some promise as a pharmaceutical for things like depression, anxiety, and even as a way to help with the detox process off of harder drugs like heroin and meth. It was also used to help victims of cancer and AIDS with pain and to increase their appetite. However it can't be studied because the government still has it classified as a Class I drug, meaning:

-The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.

-The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical treatment use in the U.S.

-It has a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision.

This is the real shame.

Edited to add, I do not smoke marijuana or tobacco, just FTR.

Last edited by Shalhevet; 05-14-2019 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: one more thought

Old 05-14-2019, 07:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
What many of the "uneducated" here may not be aware of is all the science that has now been brought to bear on weed.

I'm that old Hippie who started young and stopped young (by 1975 I wasn't partaking). Never liked it since. Creates anxiety and paranoia, costs a lot of money and is/was illegal too. Smells a lot. Makes me tired (I'm an entrepreneur..not a good thing).

Now that I am older I have pains like most others - but am still climbing up on my roof, sailing and walking many miles. Still building things, hauling heavy stuff, etc......which, of course, keeps me in shape BUT also causes more pain.

I have tried it a few more times in the last 12 years. Same results. Get stoned but pain doesn't go away.

I live in a legal area and have my card anyway...(medical). So I tried it again. Once again, not really happy....prefer CBD and maybe micro-doses of THC and THC-N (you have to make it...basically older weed)....

Recently I did a bit more research on the different strains and some of the experts on Reddit (our state legal reddit) suggested some that might help me. So I went over to the store and got a vape of two different types......

They work! No paranoia, no anxiety and probably a 60% reduction in feeling of pain. The key for me is super-lightweight use - only one small hit off the vape. It's also important for me to do it when I am ready to relax, as one might a glass of wine.

That one hit basically puts me to sleep...or such a deep relaxation that it is similar. I do it late afternoon some days...

No bad dreams while doing it, no hangover (even a little booze gives me a headache) and no after effects at all. After an hour or two I'm back up and around with a bit of an afterglow....

The point is...they have been doing genetic wonders in the last decade or two and they even rate certain stains according to "paranoia" and "anxiety" which are known effects for some.....of certain weed types.

I think this puts it in the class of many other meds and even rec. items where you have to find your own best mix and match.

The good news is that it works...just another tool in the box. The bad news for the pot industry is that the amount I use is probably less than 50 cents a day so they won't get wealthy on me. Don't buy those pot stocks...even if Boner says so!

Believe me, no one is going to the mental hospital on 1MG of THC or less! The real heads easily consumer 30X that much or more.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I believe things are changing. Its really the politicians that are afraid to stand up and be counted on this.

Near my town in Oklahoma there is a Christian based health care office that has the word "Christ" in the name of the office who is a Medical Marijuana outreach provider and is holding low cost Medical Marijuana doctor's appointments this coming Friday. I was really surprised when I saw the sign out front. Good for them. This is a small very religious conservative town of about 1,000 people. If it can happen there and be supported by that office it can happen anywhere. I would mention there name but not sure if that is allowed on here.
When $$$ is involved you'd be surprised how quickly conservatives come around.

Look at Boner - from Speaker of the House to TOP DOG of the trade organization! You'd have to have blinders on to think he is doing it for the good of mankind.

Hey, they steal everything from we hippies and liberals. Now they will steal our weed monopolies. But we'll get them with fair competition. You watch.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:48 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
When $$$ is involved you'd be surprised how quickly conservatives come around.

Look at Boner - from Speaker of the House to TOP DOG of the trade organization! You'd have to have blinders on to think he is doing it for the good of mankind.

Hey, they steal everything from we hippies and liberals. Now they will steal our weed monopolies. But we'll get them with fair competition. You watch.
The world is not as black and white as you want to believe. Weed is in Oklahoma because the people wanted it. The conservatives politicians who run things there were almost all universally against it and still are.

Its actually the tobacco companies that will control the weed business down the road. And with the weed profits they will keep their tobacco empires in place. And they will have both parties in their back pocket as they always do. They are busying lining both parties politicians pockets as we speak.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:16 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What many of the "uneducated" here may not be aware of is all the science that has now been brought to bear on weed.

I'm that old Hippie who started young and stopped young (by 1975 I wasn't partaking). Never liked it since. Creates anxiety and paranoia, costs a lot of money and is/was illegal too. Smells a lot. Makes me tired (I'm an entrepreneur..not a good thing).

Now that I am older I have pains like most others - but am still climbing up on my roof, sailing and walking many miles. Still building things, hauling heavy stuff, etc......which, of course, keeps me in shape BUT also causes more pain.

I have tried it a few more times in the last 12 years. Same results. Get stoned but pain doesn't go away.

I live in a legal area and have my card anyway...(medical). So I tried it again. Once again, not really happy....prefer CBD and maybe micro-doses of THC and THC-N (you have to make it...basically older weed)....

Recently I did a bit more research on the different strains and some of the experts on Reddit (our state legal reddit) suggested some that might help me. So I went over to the store and got a vape of two different types......

They work! No paranoia, no anxiety and probably a 60% reduction in feeling of pain. The key for me is super-lightweight use - only one small hit off the vape. It's also important for me to do it when I am ready to relax, as one might a glass of wine.

That one hit basically puts me to sleep...or such a deep relaxation that it is similar. I do it late afternoon some days...

No bad dreams while doing it, no hangover (even a little booze gives me a headache) and no after effects at all. After an hour or two I'm back up and around with a bit of an afterglow....

The point is...they have been doing genetic wonders in the last decade or two and they even rate certain stains according to "paranoia" and "anxiety" which are known effects for some.....of certain weed types.

I think this puts it in the class of many other meds and even rec. items where you have to find your own best mix and match.

The good news is that it works...just another tool in the box. The bad news for the pot industry is that the amount I use is probably less than 50 cents a day so they won't get wealthy on me. Don't buy those pot stocks...even if Boner says so!

Believe me, no one is going to the mental hospital on 1MG of THC or less! The real heads easily consumer 30X that much or more.
Same can be said for alcohol.

For example. I can't and won't drink tequila. I become angry and hostile.
I can drink beer no problem. I liked beer, I still like beer. However I won't indulge come middle of April until December. I work outdoors. It's too bright. It's too hot. I'll be beyond lethargic and all I'll want to do is crawl into a blacked out ice box and sleep.

Budweiser products are off limits. Dull headaches, and living on the toilet. Should be renamed Buttwiper. If you want to cleanse the colon? Drink a 12 pack of that swill.

Whiskey, bourbon, vodka, no issue. Rum, depends. Dark rum/spiced rum tends to give a dull headache right around the temples and into the eyes. Clear rum, no problem at all except waking up super early like 4am early wide awake and energized only to be ready for a nap by 2pm. Gin, gin will give me unquenchable thirst. It's as if someone shoved 5 pounds of sand and cotton down my throat and left me in the sun to bake.

Champagne. That ought to be spelled Sham-pain. Drink a whole bottle of that on new years eve, you will be a hurting unit. Splitting migraine, shake/shiver feeling like you're burning up one minute, freezing the next. It's like sweet beer. That wants to kill you.
It's a sham. And it's God awful painful. Hence, Sham-Pain.

From middle of April until December not a drop of any sort of alcoholic beverage will be consumed. Unless it's rum and coke or jack and coke. And at most 2 or 3 drinks spread out over a course of 4-6 hours with lots of water consumed between drinks. Or else it's going to suck the next few days.

I don't know how FloridaMan can drink in this heat and humidity...
Last thing I want to do is punish myself... I have a high threshold for pain... that goes right out the window with hang overs. Migraines that are debilitating, intense sleepyness/tired, unquenchable thirst, upset stomach. Not worth it. My college hang over remedies were a bottle of Pedialyte 2 Tylenol a couple bottles of water, and a cup of coffee. Good as new. Unless I had an upset stomach. Then a fistful of baking soda or a bunch of Tums to relax the bubble guts and heart burn.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:32 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Default THCV: All You Need to Know About Tetrahydrocannabivarin in One Guide.

If knowledgeable medical professionals not controlled by Big Pharma had their way, marijuana and its cannabinoids would be the future of medicine and opioids would be confined to the dustbin of history. Indeed, with over 110 identified cannabinoids found in weed to date, it’s clear that there’s a lot to uncover.

Perhaps the biggest issue with weed is the psychoactive effects (in other words, getting high). It is apparently the main reason why cannabis is a Schedule I substance (although the truth is more nuanced) and this fact prevents a significant number of people from using it to alleviate pain and other debilitating conditions.

However, not all cannabinoids are psychoactive, and researchers know that if they can continue researching non-intoxicating ones such as CBD, there’s a greater chance of cannabis being accepted as medicine. Of all the cannabinoids identified to date, there is a clear Big Six and we focus on one of them, THCV, in this article.

https://www.marijuanabreak.com/thcv-...rocannabivarin

Old 05-15-2019, 06:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If knowledgeable medical professionals not controlled by Big Pharma had their way, marijuana and its cannabinoids would be the future of medicine and opioids would be confined to the dustbin of history. Indeed, with over 110 identified cannabinoids found in weed to date, it’s clear that there’s a lot to uncover.

Perhaps the biggest issue with weed is the psychoactive effects (in other words, getting high). It is apparently the main reason why cannabis is a Schedule I substance (although the truth is more nuanced) and this fact prevents a significant number of people from using it to alleviate pain and other debilitating conditions.

However, not all cannabinoids are psychoactive, and researchers know that if they can continue researching non-intoxicating ones such as CBD, there’s a greater chance of cannabis being accepted as medicine. Of all the cannabinoids identified to date, there is a clear Big Six and we focus on one of them, THCV, in this article.

https://www.marijuanabreak.com/thcv-...rocannabivarin
How can you say 'Big pharma' has this much influence and power, in regards to medicine and opioids? Last time I checked, LOTS of patients were having trouble finding a doctor or hospital that would even give them opioid prescriptions...If 'big pharma' had as much power as people believe, I tend to think they would make some of their most popular opioids, MUCH easier to obtain!

Just for a comparison, can you name any other industry, that seems to be totally fine with Govt killing its cash cow products by laws or regulation, that restrict access to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies