Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:37 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Actually science is increasingly on the mayor's side here. There is an emerging field of science called "climate attribution" that uses rigorous analysis to determine to what extent, if any, is extreme weather caused or worsened by climate change. Climate Attribution

Meanwhile, in Japan, record high temperatures are shattering records... 103 F in Tokyo in May is not normal.
Two Die, 600 Taken to Hospital for Heat Stroke in Japan

We are in the early stages of a climate crisis. Is that climate alarmism? No, not all. The rapidly increasing extreme weather events worldwide speak for themselves.
What day did it reach 103 degrees at Tokyo?

Old 06-01-2019, 07:46 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What day did it reach 103 degrees at Tokyo?
it was in 2015, only one I could find.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Phil, according to the snow record for Dallas....you got snow in 2013 and 2015....so that's still your 3 to 4 years....nothing changed

https://www.iweathernet.com/dfw-weat...dfw-since-1898
I'm talking about traffic snarling snow and ice. 2 inches isn't all that bad. I certainly didn't notice it being bad in 2014-15

Old 06-02-2019, 08:31 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,829 times
Every person I talk to knows the weather is getting weirder, unless you're a climate denier living in his parents basement never seeing the light of day...

Old 06-02-2019, 09:04 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Every person I talk to knows the weather is getting weirder, unless you're a climate denier living in his parents basement never seeing the light of day...
I'm not exactly old, but I haven't exactly noticed the weather changing much at all. I think I just pay attention to it more.

As someone else wrote, there are floods literally every single year. Not only did we build all these dams and levees to control the floodwaters(because floods were terrible in the past), but to some extent what we built actually makes things worse.

A few years back I was reading about "Historic flooding on the Mississippi". The problem was that they built all of these barriers along the Mississippi to prevent flooding, but by doing so, they prevented the Mississippi from having a pressure-relief valve. And instead of small-scale flooding in multiple places along the river. They walled the river up with levees and sandbags as long as they could, causing the river's waters to continue to rise until there was a breach, and with it massive flooding.

I also know that the permeability of the ground surfaces matter. If a quarter of the land is covered in concrete or other impermeable materials, then you have far more water ending up in creeks and rivers. I'm not sure the role of vegetation itself.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:36 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I'm not exactly old, but I haven't exactly noticed the weather changing much at all. I think I just pay attention to it more.

Earth has warmed about a degree and a half since 1880...kinda hard to notice.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:08 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Earth has warmed about a degree and a half since 1880...kinda hard to notice.
Do you even understand how temperature works? The 1.5 degrees is the global average, it isn't a constant temperature. Even if this year was "The hottest year on record"(and it wasn't). Where you live might have had a yearly average temperature below what it was in 1880.

Sometimes it is cooler-than-average in the United States but warmer-than-average in Europe or Asia. In other times it might be much warmer in the polar regions but cooler at the mid-latitudes.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2714/m...hes-on-record/

Also, climate-change is happening far more rapidly at the poles than at lower latitudes. The temperatures at the equator really haven't changed much since 1880. Even the distribution of CO2 varies dramatically by latitude and hemisphere.

And temperatures are completely inconsistent. On the same day there are record-highs in one part of the world, there are record-lows in another part of the world.

You seem to think a temperature increase of 1.5 degrees means everywhere is basically 1.5 degrees warmer than it would have been otherwise, but that isn't how it works. Which is why it is almost impossible to actually notice climate-change.

And even more, shifts in wind patterns have actually caused parts of the United States to cool somewhat. The "Polar Vortex" pushed a lot of cold air into the southeast United States, dropping average temperatures.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#c4437f6f84c5

Most people simply cannot detect climate-change. But that doesn't stop many of them from believing every weather event is caused by global-warming. While they completely ignore the fact that almost all natural disasters are actually less-common than they were in the past.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:11 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
This harkens the story of the liberal in NYC who could not understand how Nixon won the 1968 presidential election because, "everyone I know voted against him"!

Perhaps you need to expand your circle of friends. Keep in mind that liberals tend to be emotional and hysterical, and will therefore "perceive" things that are not happening.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:59 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I'm talking about traffic snarling snow and ice. 2 inches isn't all that bad. I certainly didn't notice it being bad in 2014-15
When I lived in Dallas over 20 years ago, 2 flakes was enough to snarl traffic!

Old 06-03-2019, 06:01 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Articles?

Well........... having grown up in the Midwest I can tell you that the Missouri and Mississippi flood almost every year.

Some years are worse than others, but the worst in the last fifty years was 1993.

If "climate change" and CO2 are causing all these terrible things, one would expect flooding, tornados, hurricanes, and draughts to be worse every year (as CO2 is rising).

Yet there has been no increase in any of the above. In fact, the 1930s are still the warmest decade on record. Now how can this be so when every year now we have "new record high temps"?
Where do you live, seems like many places in Iowa, Arkansas, Nebraska are breaking records and its been going on for over 2 months. I wouldn't point to one incident as the result of AGW but there are certainly frequent moisture related events impacting not only the US but the world.

Temperatures are increasing globally, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies