Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:58 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Like most Christians, you don't want to take responsibility for your behavior.
Pretty broad brush you use there.
Is that kind of bigotry ok when used on Christians?

Old 05-31-2019, 09:05 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Carbon dioxide is not responsible for warming the earth. Humans are not responsible for warming the earth.
Mountains of rigorous scientific data and thousands of studies published in respected journals disagree with you. Anyone can go on an internet forum and write "the moon is made of cheese!" but that doesn't make it true. It's a free country, believe what you want.

Me, I'll go with the scientists and science on climate change. Mostly because I trust the scientific method, and partially because I have personally witnessed rapid climate change where I live in my lifetime.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:21 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Like most Christians, you don't want to take responsibility for your behavior.

Isaiah 24:4-6 ESV
The earth mourns and withers; the world languishes and withers; the highest people of the earth languish. The earth lies defiled under its inhabitants; for they have transgressed the laws, violated the statutes, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse devours the earth, and its inhabitants suffer for their guilt; therefore the inhabitants of the earth are scorched, and few men are left.
So we don't need a carbon tax... we just need you heathens to get some religion!

Old 06-01-2019, 09:26 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
I've devised a couple of mathematical proofs:

Weather = meteorology - political science

A derivative:

Catastrophic climate change = weather + political science

Old 06-01-2019, 10:10 AM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
https://twitter.com/ClimateSignals/s...36919472922625

It's understandable why some people are slow to accept climate change. It's an abstract concept.
But when it slaps you hard in the face, you better pay attention.

It's understandable why some people can't employ basic logic in their arguments, to wit, the notion that the mayor of a podunk town with a population of 157 people is a climate expert. And you wonder why climate alarmists aren't taken seriously.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:27 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
There have been floods like this forever. I live in the area getting the rain. We had similar floods in 2011, and 1993. In my area, the 1993 one was much worse. The problem is that more and more people are moving into the flood areas and more of the ground gets paved over every year, making them worse. Water can't soak into pavement or concrete so it just flows on down.
The worst flood on the Missouri was around 1950.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:30 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
gotta love liberals. religious nuts have been saying there would be floods, hurricanes, and natural disasters for decades and they never paid attention.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:41 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I accept that climate change is real but that's just one giant pile of stupid.

It's pointing at every record high, or low, or snowfall or drought or flooding....just opens the door for the opposition to cite the opposite when it occurs.

Taking an utterly unscientific approach like Mayor McCheese is NOT a good thing.
Well in the case of the Midwest, increased flooding is actually a result of climate change. There are significantly more heavy rain events today than there were 100 years ago. That's a direct result of warmer temperatures and more moisture in the atmosphere.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:46 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Well in the case of the Midwest, increased flooding is actually a result of climate change. There are significantly more heavy rain events today than there were 100 years ago. That's a direct result of warmer temperatures and more moisture in the atmosphere.
Wrong. The floods are NOT more common. And the only reason they do more damage is because there are more buildings in the flood plain and more of the ground is paved.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:58 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Wrong. The floods are NOT more common. And the only reason they do more damage is because there are more buildings in the flood plain and more of the ground is paved.
Nope, science and statistics says climate change has brought more flooding to the Midwest.

https://www.climatecentral.org/galle...the-most-in-us

Quote:
For every 1°F of temperature increase, the atmosphere can effectively hold 4 percent more water vapor. So as the world warms from the increase in greenhouse gases, the amount of evaporation also increases from oceans, lakes, rivers, and soils. The extra water vapor is available to produce additional rain and snow, creating an environment ripe for heavy precipitation events which is exactly what we are seeing in the numbers. States in New England and parts of the Midwest have the most substantial increases in heavy precipitation events, whereas the trends in a couple of western states are slightly down. This follows a general rule about a supercharged water cycle in a warming world — wet places will get wetter, and dry places will get drier.
Climate change deniers are just embarrassing themselves at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies