Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 03:54 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,394,423 times

Advertisements

The Dimms will want Spanish lessons in kindergarten next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 04:13 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Misleading nonsense post. TO WIT:

With 14 entrepreneurs on the list, India was the leading country of origin for the immigrant founders of billion dollar companies, followed by Canada and the United Kingdom with 8 each, Israel (7), Germany (4), China (3), France (2), Ireland (2) and 12 other countries with one.

DIDNT SEE GUATAMALA OR EL SALVADOR OR MEXICO. These dishonest arguments make me livid. Those who use them assume we are too lazy to check them for lies.
Luis Reyes: Entrepreneur as Revolutionary

"A few years back, an elegant female patron, infuriated about the long wait for a table, demanded to speak with the owner. Luis Reyes approached and introduced himself."I asked to speak with the owner," the woman said.

"How can I help you?" he asked.

The woman gave the moon-faced, mocha-skinned proprietor a once-over and shook her head. "You can't be the owner," she told him."

Or the companies doing business in ----hole countries?

(1984 archive)
AMERICANS IN BUSINESS IN EL SALVADOR: JUGGLING RISK, FEAR AND RETURNS

Can they even find any smart people there, smart enough to run a Xerox machine, much less the company itself. Texas Instruments? That's just crazy. Only the poor and ignorant live there, that's why they come here.

Side note: The Other Americans: In El Salvador and Elsewhere, China Emerges as a Source of Hope

btw: If the companies can't find the workers here, they will just go there ...

Old 08-01-2019, 11:58 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,364,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Luis Reyes: Entrepreneur as Revolutionary

"A few years back, an elegant female patron, infuriated about the long wait for a table, demanded to speak with the owner. Luis Reyes approached and introduced himself."I asked to speak with the owner," the woman said.

"How can I help you?" he asked.

The woman gave the moon-faced, mocha-skinned proprietor a once-over and shook her head. "You can't be the owner," she told him."

Or the companies doing business in ----hole countries?

(1984 archive)
AMERICANS IN BUSINESS IN EL SALVADOR: JUGGLING RISK, FEAR AND RETURNS

Can they even find any smart people there, smart enough to run a Xerox machine, much less the company itself. Texas Instruments? That's just crazy. Only the poor and ignorant live there, that's why they come here.

Side note: The Other Americans: In El Salvador and Elsewhere, China Emerges as a Source of Hope

btw: If the companies can't find the workers here, they will just go there ...
Luis reyes in 1980 has no relevance to 2019. More intellectual dishonesty.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:25 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The Dimms will want Spanish lessons in kindergarten next.
Spanish lessons starting in kindergarten is mandatory at the charter school my grandkids go to. Like it or not, the inflow of Hispanics into the US isn't likely to stop anytime soon. My grandkids being able to speak Spanish will be an advantage to them as they navigate a world I couldn't have imagined when I was a kid.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:06 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usual points View Post
As a person who usually votes for Democrats in most elections, I watched the candidates for President try to outdo each other with compassion for migrants. From what I can tell most of them think America should have an open border for people who are suffering and live in poverty all over the world.

I think about 3 billion people around the world live in poverty and most also live in places where they suffer from political and religious persecution. It is tough out there for citizens of the world. Especially in Southeast Asia, Latin America, and Africa.

Right now millions of people are doing everything they can to make it to our Southern Border. An ever-increasing number are coming from Africa and flying to countries in Latin America that don't require a Visa to visit. From there they are making their way slowly to our border, risking their lives. Countless people are coming from Central America and places like Haiti and Cuba.

I FEEL SORRY FOR ALL OF THEM. But should we only let in those people who can make it to our border? How about the billion-plus suffering people from Asia and Africa who can't come up with the money to make it to our Southern Border? Don't they deserve to come here too?

How many suffering world citizens should we let into America each year? How about 10 million, 20 million, 50 million? (But don't you know that would be a fraction of the total who would come here if they could?) How are we going to pay for the welfare and language programs that will be needed to get these fine migrants up to speed in America?

Again, this question is for Democrats who support the liberal candidates who want to eliminate our border patrol and be generous to the world's poor.
Nobody is asking for limitless immigration standards. Not one candidate is asking for that.

There has never been a bill from the Democrats that says let everyone in.

Never.

That is a myth.

Much of the objection to the policies Trump has implemented or is trying to implement is the fact that Republicans don't want to set limits on immigration - they want to shut it down completely.

There is an in between, and the USA has the resources to formulate comprehensive immigration policies that can control the asylum seekers, the process, the hiring of illegal residents, processing the Dreamers and others that have been alloewd to stay in this country for years while dangling the carrot of legal status, deportation of violent criminals, providing resources to fix the ports of entry.

Making it more difficult and hazardous and purposely being mean because you are afraid of more brown people is not a strategy for many of us.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:50 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nobody is asking for limitless immigration standards. Not one candidate is asking for that.

There has never been a bill from the Democrats that says let everyone in.

Never.

That is a myth.

Much of the objection to the policies Trump has implemented or is trying to implement is the fact that Republicans don't want to set limits on immigration - they want to shut it down completely.

There is an in between, and the USA has the resources to formulate comprehensive immigration policies that can control the asylum seekers, the process, the hiring of illegal residents, processing the Dreamers and others that have been alloewd to stay in this country for years while dangling the carrot of legal status, deportation of violent criminals, providing resources to fix the ports of entry.

Making it more difficult and hazardous and purposely being mean because you are afraid of more brown people is not a strategy for many of us.
That’s not what the stats say according to USCIS

PAGE 14, FY 2014 to 2018, table 1 and 2
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/....28.19_EXA.pdf

Or maybe you accidentally wrote immigration instead of ILLEGAL immigration?

Old 08-02-2019, 07:12 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Spanish lessons starting in kindergarten is mandatory at the charter school my grandkids go to. Like it or not, the inflow of Hispanics into the US isn't likely to stop anytime soon. My grandkids being able to speak Spanish will be an advantage to them as they navigate a world I couldn't have imagined when I was a kid.
Many if not of those Hispanics flowing into our country are doing so illegally. Why in the hell should our children have to learn Spanish to accomodate them? Most Hispanics here legally know English so we have that common language to communicate with them in so why the need for Spanish?

Old 08-02-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Luis reyes in 1980 has no relevance to 2019. More intellectual dishonesty.
Other opinions will differ ...

Old 08-02-2019, 10:49 AM

7,651 posts, read 4,606,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Other opinions will differ ...
Why? 1980 was the first time the term gay hit my radar screen. The reason....John Wayne Gacy Jr. That was the first example given to me of a gay person. I was not a fan.

People change.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Why? 1980 was the first time the term gay hit my radar screen. The reason....John Wayne Gacy Jr. That was the first example given to me of a gay person. I was not a fan.

People change.
People who live in 3rd world countries are people too ... I know this; other's don't. Maybe one-day people in the u.s. will one day wake up and remove the lodge stick, as anything is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies