Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 07:15 AM

36 posts, read 25,109 times

Advertisements

So far no one has answered my question about the issues and fairness of only letting in refugees who have the ability to make it to our Southern Border. If the liberals are so caring they should set up a system where everyone who feels like they need a better life where ever they are in the world should be able to come to America.

Yes, technically anyone in nations throughout the world can apply to be a US Citizen, Get a Green Card or become a Refugee but it is nearly impossible to get your application seriously considered unless you have connections and have unique skills. The average person living in Africa has no chance to get refugee status in America applying at an embassy in their home country. So they risk their lives on a months-long journey through Latin America, much of it on foot.

Is it fair to only let the ones who have the ability to make it to our border have a real chance to make it into America?

Last edited by usual points; 06-28-2019 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 07:16 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
Huh. Trump wants more people. Maybe to replace the half a village he had to fire from Costa Rica?

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-workers-more/

(Cheeto Von Tinyhands. That's too funny turkey-head and a rep for the first laugh of the day for both me and my husband. )

Old 06-28-2019, 07:18 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
One would think the Democrats would consider it racist and culturally appropriate to have them move to America. That under the constitution we should protect and provide benefits to those living in Central America within their own countries.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:00 AM

62,886 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usual points View Post
So far no one has answered my question about the issues and fairness of only letting in refugees who have the ability to make it to our Southern Border. If the liberals are so caring they should set up a system where everyone who feels like they need a better life where ever they are in the world should be able to come to America.

Yes, technically anyone in nations throughout the world can apply to be a US Citizen, Get a Green Card or become a Refugee but it is nearly impossible to get your application seriously considered unless you have connections and have unique skills. The average person living in Africa has no chance to get refugee status in America applying at an embassy in their home country. So they risk their lives on a months-long journey through Latin America, much of it on foot.

Is it fair to only let the ones who have the ability to make it to our border have a real chance to make it into America?
Yes, it is fair to our own citizens. Importing poverty does nothing to make our own citizen's lives better. Those who would be contributing members to our society don't just make it up to our border they apply to come here legally from their own countries and wait till they are accepted.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:28 AM

1,705 posts, read 537,905 times
Well, the US has spent decades meddling, staging coups, killing oppositions etc etc of their favorite Dictator. So, many of the instability the various US governments has created, have to take their blame.

So, many of them are fleeing from the mess the US created going back decades...

Old 06-30-2019, 02:00 AM

17,618 posts, read 6,900,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Canadian here who now lives in the USA.

USA does have 'smart' immigration. Before my husband and I and our three children were allowed into the states from Canada, my husband's company prepared a very thick, lengthy argument for why the company needed to bring my husband to do the job.

We are not able to petition for just any family member to come to the USA to join us now that we are citizens.

The issue in the USA with immigration is complicated for many reasons. The first is the importation of migrant workers to deal with seasonal work. This began years ago & a by product was a number of folks overstaying these temp visas. They were encouraged to do so by the fact that individuals and businesses were willing, ready and able to pay them under the table for cheaper labor. local, state & the federal govt. were aware of these practices and allowed them to happen. Of course, the longer the illegal residents were allowed to stay, more people would come. Now we have folks who have lived in the USA, worked, owned businesses, got degrees, had kids, married Americans -- who have illegal status. They are part of that 11 million everyone quotes -- a big part of it. This was what DACA was going to address and should.

Now we have a new and growing problem with asylum seekers from south of the border. These people are fleeing violence, instability, etc. They risk their lives and their children lives to seek refuge in the USA. They have two options to apply for asylum - -as laid out in our laws. They can go through a port of entry or cross 'illegally' along the border. Because Trump's administration has purposefully restricted the port of entry option, many are choosing the latter. Hoping for the best, risking it all......

And yes - -there is a criminal element...always has been, always will be - -but there aren't millions and millions of people - they are some.

Trump and his administration seem to be lumping everyone into the same group with no regard for individual situations. It seems cruel, uncaring, insensitive.

This idea that most illegal residents are looking for handouts is over simplistic and not particularly accurate. Many of these folks work hard. Some have Tax ID numbers and pay taxes. Some are paid under the table. But few are lining up for SNAP benefits. Some states have more liberal social programs for illegal residents and I can understand why those residents may have issues but that's on those states. I've lived in Georgia and South Carolina and both aren't as liberal in that regard.

We need better systems to clear the back log of illegal residents who have been allowed to live here, pay taxes, etc. They should not be rounded up and sent home in order to satisfy some myth that all illegal residents are taking our jobs.

We need to improve the processing of asylum seekers.

We need foreign policy to help those countries in chaos so that we don't have to deal with the burden of the asylum seekers.

And yes -- any violent offender should be returned to their home country.

A comprehensive immigration plan.

Not a wall.
After reading that, I hope Trump puts a wall up on the Canadian border. Seriously, go back there. Then invite all the people you want and you can pay for it. And Trump/his supporters are not "cruel" or "uncaring" or "insensitive." We want to take care of American citizens, not every grifter that shows up wanting a handout. I'm so tired of being moralized at by people like you. Honestly, it's you who are cruel and insensitive. You want Americans to forego their hopes and dreams to pay for illegals, just so you feel better. Pay for them yourself.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:35 AM

16,556 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
One of the reasons for foreign aid and diplomacy is to help people in their own countries so they won’t be forced to come here. Support diplomacy!

So we need to bribe third world countries with aid, otherwise we are obligated to have them come here?

While we are a generous nation, since when are we responsible for the well being of the entire third worlds population.
Heck, why not just allow them to apply to have free everything while remaining in their own countries if you want to take your suggestion to it's logical conclusion?
Much of the aid we do send does not make it to the actual people in need anyway. But even if some does, they are still much poorer remaining in their country, then all the freebies the Democrats would have our own working taxpaying citizens pay for if they illegally cross our border.

As to the OP's question, I have asked the same in years past, never to receive an answer. Liberal Democrats know we cannot take in all the worlds poor, but they pretend like we should allow as many illegal aliens to pour into the country as can walk in.
There are a few billion people living in poorer conditions in their own countries, but that has never been a justifiable reason to allow everyone in.
But ask liberals what number is too many, and they cannot come up with an answer because their "feelings" are based on an emotional argument, not a logical, tangible and pragmatic thought process.

`

Old 06-30-2019, 02:39 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Canadian here who now lives in the USA.

USA does have 'smart' immigration. Before my husband and I and our three children were allowed into the states from Canada, my husband's company prepared a very thick, lengthy argument for why the company needed to bring my husband to do the job.

We are not able to petition for just any family member to come to the USA to join us now that we are citizens.

The issue in the USA with immigration is complicated for many reasons. The first is the importation of migrant workers to deal with seasonal work. This began years ago & a by product was a number of folks overstaying these temp visas. They were encouraged to do so by the fact that individuals and businesses were willing, ready and able to pay them under the table for cheaper labor. local, state & the federal govt. were aware of these practices and allowed them to happen. Of course, the longer the illegal residents were allowed to stay, more people would come. Now we have folks who have lived in the USA, worked, owned businesses, got degrees, had kids, married Americans -- who have illegal status. They are part of that 11 million everyone quotes -- a big part of it. This was what DACA was going to address and should.

Now we have a new and growing problem with asylum seekers from south of the border. These people are fleeing violence, instability, etc. They risk their lives and their children lives to seek refuge in the USA. They have two options to apply for asylum - -as laid out in our laws. They can go through a port of entry or cross 'illegally' along the border. Because Trump's administration has purposefully restricted the port of entry option, many are choosing the latter. Hoping for the best, risking it all......

And yes - -there is a criminal element...always has been, always will be - -but there aren't millions and millions of people - they are some.

Trump and his administration seem to be lumping everyone into the same group with no regard for individual situations. It seems cruel, uncaring, insensitive.

This idea that most illegal residents are looking for handouts is over simplistic and not particularly accurate. Many of these folks work hard. Some have Tax ID numbers and pay taxes. Some are paid under the table. But few are lining up for SNAP benefits. Some states have more liberal social programs for illegal residents and I can understand why those residents may have issues but that's on those states. I've lived in Georgia and South Carolina and both aren't as liberal in that regard.

We need better systems to clear the back log of illegal residents who have been allowed to live here, pay taxes, etc. They should not be rounded up and sent home in order to satisfy some myth that all illegal residents are taking our jobs.

We need to improve the processing of asylum seekers.

We need foreign policy to help those countries in chaos so that we don't have to deal with the burden of the asylum seekers.

And yes -- any violent offender should be returned to their home country.

A comprehensive immigration plan.

Not a wall.
We need a wall and an immigration plan. Most people coming do not qualify for asylum and will not be allowed in legally, they know that. If Mexico didn't physically connect to us maybe more people would stay and fight to improve their own countries, that's the only way things will ever change and our own Civil War attests to that. We can't save the world and we shouldn't even be trying to.

Last edited by Ceece; 06-30-2019 at 03:25 AM..

Old 06-30-2019, 03:22 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Old 06-30-2019, 07:06 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You should read reports a bit more thorough, also, I find your comments a bit short sighted ...
"It is also worth noting that illegal immigrants overall are significantly more educated than we reported in an earlier analysis, which focused only on illegal border-crossers."

So seeing that, quick search and present date:

U.S. unauthorized immigrants are more proficient in English, more educated than a decade ago

Education levels of U.S. immigrants are on the rise
Are you talking about legal or illegal immigrants? Your comment about "presently waiting in dentition centers all across the u.s. to be released." Sounds to me like you are talking only about illegals, so that's what I was referring to. Your own link says that 58% of illegal aliens coming from the Northern Triangle, which is where most of them come from, don't have a high school education. This is exactly the immigration we don't need.

I also find your comments very short sighted, as you don't seem to care what kind of a country future generations will live in. Importing the third world indefinitely will completely destroy any chance of having a reasonably sustainable future for our natural resources, and unskilled immigrants take more out of the economy than they put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Tesla had 4 cents in his pockets when he arrived from Serbia. Also look up investing in human capital, also look up immigrant entrepreneur to see how they have contributed to an increase in your over all standards of life, in the u.s. over the years.

After the Confederates lost the war, the u.s. became a Centralized country and what that means to you is that when you pay your federal taxes, you are making a contribution to a distribution of funds to rural and small town u.s.a., that they possibly would not exist or have gov. public schools for education, had the u.s. remained a Decentralized country.

So rather than ask the question about dropping off unskilled (which they are just as skilled as those who already live in the u.s) to low population areas, you may want to ask, why are our tax dollars keeping those towns alive?
Nicola Tesla came here in 1884, when the US had only 55 million people. There's over 320 million now. A 19th century immigration policy- when the government spent nothing on welfare, SS, health care, education, housing, ect is a great way to bankrupt a country in the 21st century.
And you never answered the question, how exactly is dumping a bunch of immigrants in dying towns going to do them any good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies