Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:36 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Huh? Talk about a overly simplistic answer. How about it depends on the country and the context? You act like we live in a world where everything is black and white.

Republicans have waged wars in the middle east in support of nation building. But wars cost a helluva lot more than almost any alternative. In wasted lives and treasure.
How bout mexico, c.a., africa, places we havent waged wars? You cant deflect to “bad american”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 02:52 PM

36 posts, read 25,146 times
So, we need maybe a million new immigrants to bring more young people into our country and repopulate dying towns. Great, that has nothing to do with how we determine how many of the potential 3 billion illegal aliens or refugees of the world who want to come here and will go to great lengths to make it and risk their lives.

The dems felt so bad about the man and his son who died trying to swim into America. I was sad too, but if we make it easy to sneak in billions will come and more will die.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:59 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Why is a growing population automatically a good thing? Millions more each year requires vast amounts of resources in the form of water (which is increasingly scarce in some locales), farmland being given over to development, air quality via more cars, trucks etc, and then throw in the social costs of absorbing multitudes who don't speak English into our schools and communities and all of the added cost that entails, not to mention so many of them can't otherwise support themselves.

I live in Vermont. Our population is flat and our quality of life is rather high. Why should we want large increases in our population?
I totally agree with you! We don't need to increase our population but decrease it and stabilize it for all of the reasons you stated.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:53 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many people just keep ignoring the fact that the USA is an over-crowded life boat. Pretty soon it will sink.
Thank you, Garrett Hardin!

https://www.garretthardinsociety.org...ping_poor.html

Old 06-27-2019, 03:56 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usual points View Post
As a person who usually votes for Democrats in most elections, I watched the candidates for President try to outdo each other with compassion for migrants. From what I can tell most of them think America should have an open border for people who are suffering and live in poverty all over the world.

I think about 3 billion people around the world live in poverty and most also live in places where they suffer from political and religious persecution. It is tough out there for citizens of the world. Especially in Southeast Asia, Latin America, and Africa.

Right now millions of people are doing everything they can to make it to our Southern Border. An ever-increasing number are coming from Africa and flying to countries in Latin America that don't require a Visa to visit. From there they are making their way slowly to our border, risking their lives. Countless people are coming from Central America and places like Haiti and Cuba.

I FEEL SORRY FOR ALL OF THEM. But should we only let in those people who can make it to our border? How about the billion-plus suffering people from Asia and Africa who can't come up with the money to make it to our Southern Border? Don't they deserve to come here too?

How many suffering world citizens should we let into America each year? How about 10 million, 20 million, 50 million? (But don't you know that would be a fraction of the total who would come here if they could?) How are we going to pay for the welfare and language programs that will be needed to get these fine migrants up to speed in America?

Again, this question is for Democrats who support the liberal candidates who want to eliminate our border patrol and be generous to the world's poor.
Who said they were for open borders and want to eliminate border patrol? I didn't hear every single thing everyone said, but I obviously didn't hear what you heard.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Who said they were for open borders and want to eliminate border patrol? I didn't hear every single thing everyone said, but I obviously didn't hear what you heard.
They want anyone that says the magic word asylum let in, and then when those asylum claims are eventually denied they don't want then deported. They also otherwise don't want even those with criminal records deported. How is this not the same as wanting open borders?

Old 06-27-2019, 04:33 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
The problem with liberals is they think with their heart instead of their brain. They have compassion which is great. But you can't run a government on compassion without compromising many things in your country.

Unfortunately people love to use racism as a way to counter those who actually know that we can't just continue to let people in. If a white person says we can't he/she is a racist. If somebody black or brown says the same thing they are a trader to their people.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:35 PM

17,645 posts, read 6,923,260 times
Democrats want as many as it takes for them to regain power.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 PM

662 posts, read 313,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usual points View Post
As a person who usually votes for Democrats in most elections, I watched the candidates for President try to outdo each other with compassion for migrants. From what I can tell most of them think America should have an open border for people who are suffering and live in poverty all over the world.

I think about 3 billion people around the world live in poverty and most also live in places where they suffer from political and religious persecution. It is tough out there for citizens of the world. Especially in Southeast Asia, Latin America, and Africa.

Right now millions of people are doing everything they can to make it to our Southern Border. An ever-increasing number are coming from Africa and flying to countries in Latin America that don't require a Visa to visit. From there they are making their way slowly to our border, risking their lives. Countless people are coming from Central America and places like Haiti and Cuba.

I FEEL SORRY FOR ALL OF THEM. But should we only let in those people who can make it to our border? How about the billion-plus suffering people from Asia and Africa who can't come up with the money to make it to our Southern Border? Don't they deserve to come here too?

How many suffering world citizens should we let into America each year? How about 10 million, 20 million, 50 million? (But don't you know that would be a fraction of the total who would come here if they could?) How are we going to pay for the welfare and language programs that will be needed to get these fine migrants up to speed in America?

Again, this question is for Democrats who support the liberal candidates who want to eliminate our border patrol and be generous to the world's poor.
I've never voted for a Democrat for president, but will be doing so in 2020. I am also for compassion, but I know we can only take in so many people before it causes serious problems. I find myself about halfway between conservative and liberal talking points on refugees. I think its good to help, but we can't fix everyones problem and we risk creating our own if we overextend our generosity.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:43 PM

17,645 posts, read 6,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
I've never voted for a Democrat for president, but will be doing so in 2020. I am also for compassion, but I know we can only take in so many people before it causes serious problems. I find myself about halfway between conservative and liberal talking points on refugees. I think its good to help, but we can't fix everyones problem and we risk creating our own if we overextend our generosity.
So you'll be voting for open borders in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies