Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 01:48 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,364,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
That is absolutely NOT true.
Bull. Democrats wont admit it but thats what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 01:54 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,364,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
No new innovative technologies, because people coming here penniless, we can not afford them now. So enjoy whatcha got, cause you ain't get 'en nothing else. They're penniless, so they can't be that smart. So America isn't loosing anything by not investing in these people.
Immigrants as Economic Contributors: Immigrant Entrepreneurs
"Immigrants play an increasingly pivotal role in the U.S. economy. They are overrepresented in our labor force, relative to their share of the population, but they also have a higher propensity to launch businesses, compared to those born in the United States. " [my emphasis answers question]
Way back ...

Early Settlements

Poor people settled here from ---hole countries and look what they did to the place. America will never, ever see economic wealth if they keep doing this, this way.

Here is a list of companies you need to boycott in order to protest immigration:

How Immigrants Have Made America a Leader in Technology Innovation

Google, Yahoo, eBay, Qualcomm, VMware, Facebook ...

^^^ they may have taken handouts ... bad people.
Does it matter? The only difference between one or the other is a judge.
#endrant
Misleading nonsense post. TO WIT:

With 14 entrepreneurs on the list, India was the leading country of origin for the immigrant founders of billion dollar companies, followed by Canada and the United Kingdom with 8 each, Israel (7), Germany (4), China (3), France (2), Ireland (2) and 12 other countries with one.

DIDNT SEE GUATAMALA OR EL SALVADOR OR MEXICO. These dishonest arguments make me livid. Those who use them assume we are too lazy to check them for lies.

Last edited by phinneas j. whoopee; 08-01-2019 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 01:56 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usual points View Post
As a person who usually votes for Democrats in most elections, I watched the candidates for President try to outdo each other with compassion for migrants. From what I can tell most of them think America should have an open border for people who are suffering and live in poverty all over the world.

I think about 3 billion people around the world live in poverty and most also live in places where they suffer from political and religious persecution. It is tough out there for citizens of the world. Especially in Southeast Asia, Latin America, and Africa.

Right now millions of people are doing everything they can to make it to our Southern Border. An ever-increasing number are coming from Africa and flying to countries in Latin America that don't require a Visa to visit. From there they are making their way slowly to our border, risking their lives. Countless people are coming from Central America and places like Haiti and Cuba.

I FEEL SORRY FOR ALL OF THEM. But should we only let in those people who can make it to our border? How about the billion-plus suffering people from Asia and Africa who can't come up with the money to make it to our Southern Border? Don't they deserve to come here too?

How many suffering world citizens should we let into America each year? How about 10 million, 20 million, 50 million? (But don't you know that would be a fraction of the total who would come here if they could?) How are we going to pay for the welfare and language programs that will be needed to get these fine migrants up to speed in America?

Again, this question is for Democrats who support the liberal candidates who want to eliminate our border patrol and be generous to the world's poor.
Another Democrat starting to see the light.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
One of the reasons for foreign aid and diplomacy is to help people in their own countries so they won’t be forced to come here. Support diplomacy!
Well, as one of the pundits noted last night, if we are sending aid to other countries like Guatemala and Honduras to keep them from coming here, I guess they aren't coming because they are scared to live there. They are coming for economic reasons, which is not a valid claim for asylum. Nice that one of them admitted the truth.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:01 PM

Over 80 percent of the people being detained at the border have criminal records.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:27 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Yes, everyone knows the Asians bring up the average.

From your links:

Unauthorized Immigrants

High school graduation or less

81.2% Mexico
74.6% Central America (who is flooding our borders)

vs. 52.1% S. & East Asia

English Proficiency:

22% Northern Triangle (Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras)
25% Mexico
43% Other Latin America
54% Asia
69% Other Region

Total Unauthorized Immigrant English Proficiency - 34%

Total Authorized Immigrant Proficiency - 57%
Maybe we should get away from the stats as stats do not paint the whole picture:

in 2012 ...

Returning Migrants Boost Mexico’s Middle Class

"Back home, they are new entrepreneurs using the billions of dollars earned "on the other side" to create a Mexican middle class as the U.S. economy slowed in the global recession."

The wealthy no matter what country, live their lives far different than the middle/poor class and the economic effects are different ... same as in the u.s., as well. One doesn't have to be book smart, to understand that ...

The Second Implosion of Central America

"Far-right and 21st-century fascist projects are on the rise in Europe, the United States, Brazil, Israel, the Philippines, Turkey, and elsewhere. In all these cases, the most vulnerable communities have been targeted as scapegoats for the crisis, especially refugees and immigrants, in a strategy to channel mass anxiety over escalating socioeconomic insecurity towards the targeted groups. This helps explain the rabidly racist and even fascist response of the Trump government to Central American refugees. Neither fascism nor implosion are inevitable. That will depend on how the popular forces in Central and North America are able to mobilize to preserve the rule of law and push forward a social justice agenda that could ameliorate the effects of crisis. Otherwise, an economic downturn could bring down the Central American house of cards."

How this quiet region in Guatemala became the epicenter of migration

" ... “They don’t know how we live,” Catarina says on a chilly February morning, a few days after Felipe’s funeral. We’re sitting on stools in her kitchen, where she’s patting out corn dough and slapping the circles onto a stovetop. Smoke fills the room. “People giving these opinions have a better life. They don’t have to leave their families to survive like we do here.” She nods toward the property next door, where a gleaming white house looks transplanted from the Miami beachfront. The neighbors, she says, sent their two sons to work in the U.S. three years ago.

For the past 20 years money sent from the U.S.—called remittances—has kept the town from starving and even allowed some residents to relatively prosper. But in recent years a trickle of migration has become an exodus. Crossing illegally into the U.S. is so common that nearly everyone in this small community—from the mayor to the school teachers—seems to have spent a few years working on American farms and construction sites. When they return home—by choice or force—they buy plots of land to plant coffee beans, put metal roofs on their homes, and send their kids to schools far away." [my emphasis]

Old 08-01-2019, 02:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Over 80 percent of the people being detained at the border have criminal records.
Number of ICE detainees with no criminal record rises sharply, defying Trump rhetoric

Old 08-01-2019, 03:14 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I am a life long democrat and considered to the Left on many issues but I share your concerns. While I abhor Trump’s record on dealing with illegal immigration, we desperately need comprehensive immigration reform. And the idea of decriminalizing illegal entry is a recipe for disaster. The recent democratic debates are vey discouraging for me. I want a candidate who is strong on climate change as I believe this to be the biggest priority the world is facing and failing miserably to address. But in addition to a strong response to climate change I’m looking for a candidate who recognizes that we cannot have open borders, that we cannot save all the suffering in the world. No one wants to see people suffer but we are one country and we cannot open our arms to all the people fleeing dire circumstances. We need a concerted effort with other nations to address the problems in countries overrun with crime and corruption. There has got to be a moderate who has a common sense approach to both of these issues. But I have yet to hear from him her.
While agree with most of your points please describe what Comprehensive Immigration Reform means to you.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:21 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usual points View Post
As a person who usually votes for Democrats in most elections, I watched the candidates for President try to outdo each other with compassion for migrants. From what I can tell most of them think America should have an open border for people who are suffering and live in poverty all over the world.

I think about 3 billion people around the world live in poverty and most also live in places where they suffer from political and religious persecution. It is tough out there for citizens of the world. Especially in Southeast Asia, Latin America, and Africa.

Right now millions of people are doing everything they can to make it to our Southern Border. An ever-increasing number are coming from Africa and flying to countries in Latin America that don't require a Visa to visit. From there they are making their way slowly to our border, risking their lives. Countless people are coming from Central America and places like Haiti and Cuba.

I FEEL SORRY FOR ALL OF THEM. But should we only let in those people who can make it to our border? How about the billion-plus suffering people from Asia and Africa who can't come up with the money to make it to our Southern Border? Don't they deserve to come here too?

How many suffering world citizens should we let into America each year? How about 10 million, 20 million, 50 million? (But don't you know that would be a fraction of the total who would come here if they could?) How are we going to pay for the welfare and language programs that will be needed to get these fine migrants up to speed in America?

Again, this question is for Democrats who support the liberal candidates who want to eliminate our border patrol and be generous to the world's poor.
You should first differentiate between refugees and immigrants.

But to the core of your questions, this short video breaks it out pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE

Old 08-01-2019, 03:33 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,861,044 times
You break it, you buy it. America broke a lot of governments in Central America during the Cold War. It also launched an unprovoked war in Iraq that led to a cascade of regional wars and revolutions that created the current migrant crisis in Europe, Turkey, and elsewhere. How about taking some responsibility for the bad actions of your government? That doesn't mean accepting all migrants, but maybe some things like abolishing the UN treaty on controlled drugs and allowing countries to legalize without penalty would give the addicts in the West what they wanted and deprive the gangs and corrupt politicians of their main source of cash and also eliminate a massive source of violence and corruption in the US and everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies