Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Sounds like my mother-in-law's advice...my wife and her siblings needed to learn Spanish so they'd be able to tell the help what they wanted done.
Why would they hire a non-English speaking person (who might be here illegally) opposed to an American English speaking person? That makes no sense to me. Were they just trying to save a buck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 09:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would they hire a non-English speaking person (who might be here illegally) opposed to an American English speaking person? That makes no sense to me. Were they just trying to save a buck?
Our landscape company is a large, well-known organization, so I feel sure their employees are either citizens or green care holders. White Americans don’t want to do landscape work. I’m surprised your landscapers are. These cut and manicure the whole subdivision, Of course, we have a great deal more green grass than SoCal.

White or black people do not want those jobs. When Trump stopped the caravans of Hispanics who traveled State-to-State picking crops a few years ago, many vegetables rotted in the fields. The US needs work permits for agricultural workers. Farm owners advertised for workers to replace the banned Mexican pickers, and a few people tried to do those tasks, but it was too hot and hard for them, so they quit.

I think all the people on the C-D would not want those positions either. Truly, one must look at all sides of a situation to solve a problem, not just their own personal preferences.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:50 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
The white liberal elites and the college liberals will want ALL of them here. Only when America is forced to redistribute our wealth to all of them and we are a Third World country will that assuage their white American/Western guilt. They think its racist to put our own country first and "imagine" a world without borders.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the best anti dote is trade and investments.

foreign aid, like grains, only benefit the american farmers who get subsidies

subsidizing american and european farmers do more damage to third world countries who could not compete with subsidized chickens, pigs, grains from america, canada or europe

But shouldn't we put our own citizens and our own economy before those of foreign countries? If it protects jobs in US agriculture then yes I support these subsidies. So you want to put American farmers out of business so help foreign farmers. This is an example of why I think many liberals lack loyalty to the United States.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Our landscape company is a large, well-known organization, so I feel sure their employees are either citizens or green care holders. White Americans don’t want to do landscape work. I’m surprised your landscapers are.

White or black people do not want those jobs. When Trump stopped the caravans of Hispanics who traveled State-to-State picking crops a few years ago, many vegetables rotted in the fields. The US needs work permits for agricultural workers. Farm owners advertised for workers to replace the banned Mexican pickers, and a few people tried to do those tasks, but it was too hot and hard for them, so they quit.

I think all the people on the C-D would not want them either.
I think it depends where you are. Your area probably has many illegals who have driven down wages in this business. Where I live, the majority of landscappers are still white and black. Where I used to live, white and black people still work in kitchens too.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The child was a twenty-three month old little girl, Valeria, who drowned with her father, Oscar, as has been widely reported.

How desperate they must have been, to take such a risk...

Yes, an overwhelming number of people seem to be equally desperate to come here at present, and I do recognize how challenging it is to deal with the immediate crisis plus uncertainty of where this may all lead in the years ahead. But our current policies are not working, not in dealing with people at the border or taking action to help stabilize and improve the quality of life in the "sending countries", so people won't take such desperate risks to try to come here. Cutting American assistance to these countries just compounds the problem and further endangers people like Oscar and Valeria.

But - once here, surely would-be immigrants should be treated with common decency and humanity while being processed and in American custody. Children should not be separated from their parents, nor should children have to care for other children, whether or not they eventually go back to their homes or stay in this country.

It's now been reported - very casually reported - that the various diseases kids are being quarantined for in Clint include rabies. RABIES, for heaven's sake - so they isolate the child, rather than hospitalize them??

There is so much callousness and cluelessness, most of it quite casual, and a dehumanizing of those stuck at the border. I doubt that many posters here would be capable of treating a child who was actually in their life in such cruel ways, but the distance of the screens and broadcasts and reports allows for a distancing of emotions and compassion, it appears.

That's nothing new, of course. But it's wrong, and I am heartened by those good people who have protested, asked the tough questions, attempted to provide much-needed necessities to the children in detention in Clint, TX and elsewhere. Our government's response to them has been very tin-eared, in addition to its tone-deafness to the detained children themselves. This will not be forgotten.
I am the son of LEGAL immigrants of color. My concern is NOT for criminals like Oscar who want to sneak into our nation and take advantage of what we have, without any interest in becoming American culturally btw though that's beside the point. We need to put the economic and security interests of our own citizens first before these foreign nationals. Yes I feel sorry for some of the people suffering from poverty elsewhere but my primary concern is for our own people. As callous as it may sound to some, the truth is I as a voter and citizen care much more about people who are American than people who are not.

Every elected official has a DUTY to put our national interests first before foreign citizens.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:58 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
but they want to eliminate any ability to exclude or deport people. Isn't that like "six of one half dozen of another"?
Not true.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:12 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
But they want to eliminate any ability to exclude or deport people. Isn't that like "six of one half dozen of another"?
Not true.
Explain. How do we exclude without detaining or immediately deporting?

Old 08-11-2019, 07:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Ignoring American suffering and funding mass
Illegal immigration is hurting America
We need a new congress

Old 08-11-2019, 07:20 PM

43,123 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think it depends where you are. Your area probably has many illegals who have driven down wages in this business. Where I live, the majority of landscappers are still white and black. Where I used to live, white and black people still work in kitchens too.
Same here for my area...majority White and Black doing that work both in restaurants and landscaping and even construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies