Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2019, 09:35 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It depends would 1.5 million buy these or would owners turn say studios into one bedrooms. This isn't an easy ceteris parabis one variable becomes constant issue.. Hell the properties might be in an already open market too. Stop trying to make a complicated issue into a black and white one.
Of course it depends! Thanks...

Some like to say the "Devil is in the details," while others are too scared of the "Devil" to think at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 09:36 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
$10/hr jobs with no benefits as far as the eye can see

Wealthy CEOs and corporate board members rake in hundreds of millions and pay very low tax rates

That's what Trump and the Republicans call "prosperity."

Old 07-08-2019, 09:46 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
$10/hr jobs with no benefits as far as the eye can see

Wealthy CEOs and corporate board members rake in hundreds of millions and pay very low tax rates

That's what Trump and the Republicans call "prosperity."
You're partially correct. Those making $10/hour have always and continue to be able to better themselves and work their way up if they want a better lot in life.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Where did you receive your MBA?
I answered this question already...

Not sure I want to get any more specific or should need to, because I believe the merit of these notions about illegals, housing, economics and such should be about the facts, reason and logic provided. Not our resumes. I mentioned I have an MBA only to address the ridiculous claim that I don't understand the dynamics of supply and demand. Like you need a degree for that! I've also got a Bachelor of Science degree in business, all before I started, owned and operated my own employment agency.

So I even know about making a payroll, paying rent, payroll taxes and rocket science stuff like that!

You?

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-08-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
No one wants an endless flow of illegals. Its such a stupid thing to say. I garuntee you Trump loses if he keeps up that fake filthy lie.
The only person who uses flows of illegals are TRUMPS. Therein lies the origin of his audacious comment.
Trump lie? Now wait a minute!

Old 07-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Of course, the Democrats want an endless flow of illegals and to claim otherwise, when we have 20 Democrat candidates on a stage openly call for giving healthcare to illegals, and most of them calling to decriminalizing entering the country illegally, is an assinine suggestion.

You do not incentivize behavior that you don't want to encourage. These people wish to incentivize a constant flow, which of course they are betting the farm on will lead to future Democrat voters in the form of mass amnesties and of course, their offspring.

If the Democrats were serious about this issue, they would agree to border security, would not be offended when those rushing the border are not openly released into the general population to vanish and would not call for taxpayers to fund programs for them. The fact is that they are not serious, and do not even admit there is a problem.
I have specifically addressed at least one important obvious reason all the Democratic candidates raised their hand to the question posed about this during the debate, and it never matters, because again and again it is clear, facts, reason and logic are simply no match for people who believe everything Trump says about this sort of thing...

All I will bother to point out again is that how you describe these arguments and/or issues well demonstrates how little you really know about what they are REALLY all about. To the point of "assinine" indeed!

Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I have specifically addressed at least one important obvious reason all the Democratic candidates raised their hand about this, and it never matters, because again, facts, reason and logic are simply no match for people who believe everything Trump says about this sort of thing...

All I will say is that how you describe these arguments and/or issues well demonstrates how little you really know about what they are REALLY all about. To the point of "assinine" indeed!
Tell us all what it is REALLY about then? Because, for millions, it's REALLY about illegals pouring in and the Democrats attempting to incentivize such activity. This goes hand in hand with liberal thinking however, whereby every situation is turned into a dichotomy of victim and victimizer with those with the power assumed to be the victimizer. In this case, the left believe illegals are being victimized by America and they must put an end to it by allowing them to come here en masse.

Those are the facts.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Your explanation seems to lack any logic to me. How can you see 20 candidates for President on stage call for incentivizing illegal immigration and come to the conclusion that they are not in favor of illegal immigration?

Parts of the Republican party have, at times, been in favor of a steady flow of cheap labor as a means to keep costs low for business, but that is not the mainstream of the GOP today, particularly with Trump as President.

The Democrats, on the one hand, decry low wages, yet on the other oppose border security. The two just do not jive, which you can surely see.
I don't recall the word "incentivizing" anywhere in the question asked during the debate.

You're doing it again!

Old 07-08-2019, 10:01 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I don't recall the word "incentivizing" anywhere in the question asked during the debate.

You're doing it again!
Free, first world, health care isn’t an incentive?

Also, doesn’t it make them think, “Hey, if they are giving me all this free stuff, they must want me there.”?

We should be making them feel unwanted, so they don’t think life will be easy when they come here illegally. We are doing the opposite.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Reprinting part of post #300 from texan2yankee that prompted the above response:

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/t...-middle-class/ "The Brookings Institute studied the middle class in America and identified three major responsibilities: at least finish high school, get a full-time job and wait until age 21 to get married and have children."
-------------------
It doesn't take an institution or a government study or a genius IQ to explain why this is the case. There are probably thousands of examples given in article after article, and it boils down to these three things:

1. Many teenagers are impulsive and want instant gratification. (So are many adults, of course!)

2. Many teenagers have a lack of self-esteem, and they cannot imagine themselves as being successful in the middle-class or upper-class sense.

3. Once someone makes some very bad life choices, it is often very difficult to backtrack from them.

So, combining #1 and #2 above, many young people simply don't have the self-control or the self-discipline or personal strength (confidence) to make the 'sacrifices' that are usually necessary to having a financially secure future. (For example: foregoing luxuries to save for higher education and/or a home, studying and working instead of partying, and not having sex unless she uses a virtually 100% method of birth control 100% of the time.) And then after they make bad choices, they are trapped in poverty (or close to it) for a very long time and often for the rest of their lives.

(I also speak from personal experience with some close family members -- plus, of course, I was a teenager myself, although it was a long time ago.)

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where the link answered the bold.
Of course all true about teenagers. No kidding! I too was once a teenager and my wife and I raised two! But what to do about this obvious truth is really the question I was asking...

Needless to say, good parenting matters, but also of course lots of American kids are not so fortunate to have good parenting, and this doesn't even include the millions of American teenagers who struggle with many other serious issues I've also touched upon earlier in this thread. Know even a bit about these realities and it's altogether simply daft to think all who court poverty are because they are lazy or deserve what they get (or don't get). That's some serious oh-so-convenient head-in-sand perspective right there!

My apologies for the link to the wrong information about the bold. Not sure what happened, because I meant to provide this link siting the number more commonly reported...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/how-...dle-class.html

"In reality, the middle class now makes up just over 50 percent of the total U.S. population, according to a recent report from Pew Research Center, which used 2016 data. That’s compared to 61 percent in 1971."

Thanks for pointing out the error in what appears to be an effort on your part to actually understand the facts of these matters. Refreshing! (Wish I had a chance to go back and correct that comment too). Much obliged...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies