Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,733,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If every unfortunate was handed 25k a year, most would be broke in an instant.

The problem with inequality is, many will be groveling at the bottom after 'fairness' was applied.

One guy will improve his quality of life, the next guy will be no better off.

Libs play per cents when confronted with fraud and inefficiency of government programs. multiple millions of dollars lost is acceptable. Even when that lost money deprives the targeted persons of their fair share. Same attitude as a civil war general who uses human lives as cannon fodder.

Some one in the nursing field can get an RN and be employed by a pharma company in one of several jobs and make in the vicinity of 100k. even if that person signed up for Kelly scientific and farmed out as a consultant, she would be making more cash than she could ever imagine.

No effort, no reward.

Meanwhile the rest of the country is enjoying the fruits of Trump's economy. there will always be sad sacks whining about their woes and there is nothing anyone can do, other than give them a gift certificate to a year of psychiatric counseling.
Not a one link or reference to any information that actually substantiates any of this OPINION.

Again?

I appreciate opinion whether I agree with it or don't, but to simply express perspective like this as if one's opinion is all one need consider seems not only egotistical but just more waste of time. No one wants to learn what other's think without at least an intelligent glimmer as to WHY the opinion is justified. Right? Why waste everyone's time with simple say so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Obama was POTUS for eight years since 2008, while Trump has been POTUS for only three.

Why didn't Obama "fix" this problem?

As above, when you flood the nation with illegals, it drives down wages for American citizens. Dems are the worst enemies of working people, in that their policies harm them the most. Look at the "gifts" of NAFTA and China trade policies.

Liberal politics are the enemy of the people.
For starters, the story of how immigrant labor has been used in America, both legal and illegal, goes back well before Obama's time. What is "problem" and what is "the business of America" are pretty much a matter of opinion and dollars. The opinion often a function of where those dollars are flowing...

"People from around the world have long immigrated to the United States seeking opportunity. But while the U.S. economy has benefited by the talents and energy of migrants and immigrants there have also been concerns. The nation began regulating and controlling immigrants in 1875."

https://americanhistory.si.edu/ameri...mmigrant-labor

Old 07-08-2019, 10:24 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

My apologies for the link to the wrong information about the bold. Not sure what happened, because I meant to provide this link siting the number more commonly reported...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/how-...dle-class.html

"In reality, the middle class now makes up just over 50 percent of the total U.S. population, according to a recent report from Pew Research Center, which used 2016 data. That’s compared to 61 percent in 1971."

Thanks for pointing out the error in what appears to be an effort on your part to actually understand the facts of these matters. Refreshing! (Wish I had a chance to go back and correct that comment too). Much obliged...
Thank YOU for following up!

Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
You're partially correct. Those making $10/hour have always and continue to be able to better themselves and work their way up if they want a better lot in life.
You're "partially correct" as well. At best...

Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Tell us all what it is REALLY about then? Because, for millions, it's REALLY about illegals pouring in and the Democrats attempting to incentivize such activity. This goes hand in hand with liberal thinking however, whereby every situation is turned into a dichotomy of victim and victimizer with those with the power assumed to be the victimizer. In this case, the left believe illegals are being victimized by America and they must put an end to it by allowing them to come here en masse.

Those are the facts.
Ignoring the rhetoric here..., if "those are the facts," all the facts and all anyone need know and consider, then why are you asking me to bother with more?

I find your question utterly disinguous and as such an obvious invitation for me to waste still more of my time...

Will say this, however, when you stop trying to describe your opinion as well as the opinion you don't share or understand, you will begin to earn the sort of respect worthy of consideration let alone a response.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Thank YOU for following up!
Of course.

One more thing about teenagers...

You don't really need Google if you have teenagers.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:36 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Free, first world, health care isn’t an incentive?

Also, doesn’t it make them think, “Hey, if they are giving me all this free stuff, they must want me there.”?

We should be making them feel unwanted, so they don’t think life will be easy when they come here illegally. We are doing the opposite.
This is the first time in about 12 years we've even had the real discussion of deportations and it's about damn time.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is the first time in about 12 years we've even had the real discussion of deportations and it's about damn time.
Nothing like the good old days!

In 1955, thousands of disoriented people roamed the city’s streets as the sun bore down on them. They had just been dumped there by American immigration officials—snatched from their lives and jobs in the United States and thrown into a city where they didn’t know anyone.

These Mexican immigrants had been caught in the snare of Operation *******, the biggest mass deportation of undocumented workers in United States history. As many as 1.3 million people may have been swept up in the Eisenhower-era campaign with a racist name, which was designed to root out undocumented Mexicans from American society."

Despite a widespread belief among native-born Americans that Mexicans came to the United States to steal jobs from American workers, many were invited to the country to work in its fields. In 1942, the U.S. Mexican Farm Labor Program, also known as Operation Bracero after the Spanish term for “manual laborer,” began. The program funneled Mexicans into the United States on a legal, temporary basis in exchange for guaranteed wages and humane treatment—an attempt by the Mexican government to stave off the discrimination faced by earlier immigrants.

https://www.history.com/news/operati...54-deportation

Old 07-08-2019, 11:20 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hey, I'm doing fine.....but that was never the question here.

Well then, time you pony up some more taxes so government can give that nurses aid assisted housing, food stamps, and free medical coverage. Or she could do like others, go to night school for the LPN/RN program and she could make triple that and have plenty of jobs to choose from.

It is the BUSH administration housing inflation we never recovered from. Homes in my area for example have tripled in the last 15 years, and values only sank ~20% even in the great recession. Medical insurance and medical expenses are following close behind, because the insured are already paying for the uninsured(hospital cant refuse service, bills insured more to recover costs for the un-insured).
The rotten thing about this is SOMEONE needs to do these lower paying jobs and those people need an affordable place to live.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:57 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Same as under Obama and all those before Trump. How much of this is self inflicted? How many of those who can't pay their bills did it to themselves? How many financed their way into a bottomless pit of debt? Gotta have the latest cellphone, new care etc.

How many are hurt by the Fed failing to do their jobs? How many were lowballed out of their trades by illegals?

How many were made poor because US trade agreements made it so profitable for manufacturing to leave the country?

The OP can try to blame Trump but these are problems that he inherited. The cans that both parties have been kicking down the road.
Much of what you say is true, but it lacks some context.

It has actually been the same since about the time Reagan was in office. You can look at income charts and see the obvious shift during his admin. At that time, the "workers" wages have mostly remained flat, as the elite's have continued to grow. That is not on Trump. HOWEVER, Trump has proclaimed that he is a friend of the working man, and his policies arguably have hurt the working man more than other recent admins.

Trade deals have not really hurt us as much as the Right-wingers would like to think. They have hurt some for sure, I would not try to convince a produce farmer otherwise. But with regards to the real paying jobs that leverage technology, and American Ingenuity, there is a shortage of qualified workers. There are jobs, with nobody to fill them. That has been going on since well before Trump. (This is my profession, training people in Power and other Process industries.)

In short, I don't blame Trump for much of where we are today, but I DO BLAME HIM for hiding the problem, and making it worse so he can reward his crony friends in industry. If he really wanted to fix the problem, he'd fund up Community Colleges and would quit trying to convince people that their Coal Jobs have a future. He'd quit fighting education (but he won't because educated people can't be fooled), he'd quit defending the redistribution of wealth to the richest of rich, and he'd quit appointing industry cronies to jobs that they are not qualified for.

He did not create the problem, but he is certainly making it worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies