Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 10:15 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don’t know whether it is either one, humble or egotistical. It is just what I believe to be a fact. Maybe it is humble, because I don’t think there is anything particularly innately special about me. I don’t have a photographic memory, and though I have never had my IQ tested, I don’t think I am a genius. I had to work very hard in school to get A’s. It didn't come natural to me. I believe the only difference between me and my former classmates who have not done as well is that I am willing to do whatever I have to do in order to succeed.

And I don’t think that the people who live “spoon-to-mouth” choose to live that way, but I do think that most of them choose NOT to not live that way. Anyone working at McDonalds could choose to be better than everyone else working there, and make their way to become a manager. I mean, the bar is not very high. Just show up earlier than you are supposed to, stay later than you are supposed to, and take pride in everything you do there, even if it is cleaning the floors or replacing the napkins. At that point they can start saving some money and eventually open their own little burger place or a food truck at the very least. They can expand from there. I think the vast majority, just go to work, hate being there, don’t take any pride in it, only go there because they have to, and it shows.
You remind me of a very good friend and co-worker of mine who worked in headquarters with me in a large Fortune 100 company. Both of us were early in our careers, doing well, ambitious and wanting to "work our way up the ladder" as best we could. Problem for me, however, is that I had a pretty good life with wife and kids and friends. I also had a father who set an example for me that truly stuck with me all my career. He was a very successful businessman, but he was also always home for dinner with us, his family, and always home on the weekends. Had to travel some, but mostly he was home with us after the typical 9 to 5 work day. He also always used to say you don't get ahead in life by working longer than others but by working better, smarter. I think he is right when I also consider all the many successful people I have known in my career and others we all know who are more famous. I like to think I've managed a bit of that success for the same reasons, plus a lot of just plain good fortune and good luck, beginning with a start in a good family.

My good friend and co-worker, however, believed in getting ahead by working long hours. Always there in the morning before everyone else. There too after everyone else left. Worked the weekends too. DROVE ME CRAZY, because he was willing to throw all the rest overboard while I tried to compete without giving up time for my employer at the expense of my family and personal life! My friend was very hard working and smart too, and he did very well for himself as he rose up in the corporate ranks. I chose to leave and start my own company, because of people like him and also a boss I had there too, who believed the way to get ahead was to work very long hours. Can't say you are they are wrong, because there are many ways for someone to achieve success, but these kinds of people sure are a problem when they run the company and establish that sort of corporate culture. All the worse now that smart phones can keep everyone on 24 on-call duty.

A very serious problem that tends to drive people with lives a little crazy and eventually out the door...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Actually, I do believe it is a CHOICE on my part. So maybe I am both humble and arrogant at the same time. I knew that by going into medicine, there would be a cap on my earnings. There are only so many hours in the day, and only so much I can get paid for each surgery, and that is my limiting factor. I did consider an MBA instead, where there would be no caps, and I have friends and relatives that went that route and they are earning far more than I am. But I recognize that they work very hard too. They work from early in the morning until 10PM on a regular basis. They wake up at 3AM to see how the Asian Markets are doing and then go back to sleep for 2 hours, only to get up and start their real day. Nobody is making millions of dollars at a 9 to 5 job. I made my choice because I decided to do what I wanted to do, knowing that I would make less, and I am happy that I did. You wont find me complaining about it, because in my mind, it was a conscious decision. Now my passive income is higher than my work salary, and if I ever find that I don’t love what I am doing, I can stop at any time.

You are absolutely right, it is rare. But it is not rare because it is not doable. It is rare because people choose not to do it.
Ugh! I think I might have mentioned somewhere along this thread that I used to work as an Executive Coach, and boy is this you describe one of the primary issues or areas of focus when it comes to how people manage balance in their life, or don't. Of course "it's all good" for anyone who is happy with their life regardless what they are doing at work or how much they are making, but also of course, many people struggle mightily to be happy while they deal with the pressures at work and just not making enough.

That said, of course there are sacrifices we can all choose to make along the way if we think they will pay off. I worked a full-time demanding job while beginning a young family and earning my MBA in a night program. Didn't get much sleep during that time, and I was very glad when I was done with that sort of day and night and weekends too work schedule. Paid off though as I no sooner earned my MBA, my company moved me and my family -- all expenses paid -- to live and work in Hawaii. Our second child was born in Honolulu, and we had a wonderful four years there my wife and I will never forget...

Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I don’t have to either. I choose to. Isn’t that the whole point of what we are talking about?

That is why it is so important to pick a career that you love. You cant love to work if you don’t love the work you are doing.

There is a severe shortage of Anesthesiologists. There has been for 20 years, and it keeps getting worse. Anesthesia groups are desperately hiring at every hospital in the entire NYC area. And the offers keep getting higher. I’m not worried about job security. Besides, even if I was worried about it, I am in a position to retire.
Yes. "Love what you do and you'll never work a day in your life."

Congratulations!

Wouldn't it be great if everyone were so fortunate? And if there was peace on Earth?

Old 07-12-2019, 10:32 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Again, I'm not sure how else to put it, but "doing the three things described earlier" is also much a matter that lots of Americans don't have the control over that you and others seem inclined to take more for granted. For many, just getting through high school for starters is a challenge in many ways that most of us don't really appreciate much. Also the challenge of getting through high school without getting pregnant. Though that seems to most of us like something we have control over, for many young women in challenging circumstances and/or bad environments, even keeping from getting pregnant is a challenge lots of kids don't face like they do.

Of course, sex has taken control of people in ways not always so ideal for an awful long time now. Yet...
Okay, well, although I appreciate very much the civil discussion we have had, I think we will just have to agree to disagree. I think the problem is that I view being able to do something means that it is possible -- although I definitely do admit that "doing the three things" is much harder for some people than others due to their circumstances (of course).

Anyway, as I said, I think that you and I should just agree to disagree about this subject -- and thanks again for the stimulating and very civil discussion.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Not sure where you are at but things here in MI are doing really well.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/b...force-shortage
"Nearly 93 percent of manufacturers are projecting further expansion for their businesses, and positive sentiment among smaller companies is up to 91.3 percent, according to a quarterly survey from the National Association of Manufacturers. It's one of the best outlooks the group has seen in the 20 years it has conducted the survey among its 14,000 members. "

https://www.manufacturing.net/data-f...emains-high-us

The trade Bull**** is definitely causing a disruption though. Hopefully we can get through all this. Although there was still some growth.
"Of the 18 manufacturing industries, 12 reported growth in June, in the following order: Furniture & Related Products; Printing & Related Support Activities; Textile Mills; Nonmetallic Mineral Products; Food, Beverage & Tobacco Products; Petroleum & Coal Products; Chemical Products; Computer & Electronic Products; Paper Products; Miscellaneous Manufacturing; Electrical Equipment, Appliances & Components; and Machinery. "

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...ess-confidence

Looking forward I feel what happens with global trade and the election will drastically effect the positive growth we have been seeing.
There are lots of areas in the country doing well during this rather fortunate and long-running period of economic expansion, but I'm not sure the comment you are referring to was suggesting otherwise...

It's how Americans understand the ups and downs of our economy, the reasons, and what best to do during both the ups and downs that these many threads and comments prove Americans don't generally understand too well. Stock market is up? That must mean we're good, but also in the comment you are referring too the question is asked, who is we? Who is doing better? Well? By how much? In what ways?

Best I can connect this complicated array of economic dots anyway, Trump is not the reason for our economic up swell, but he sure stands to benefit from it in terms of another term. Unfortunate considering how much better we could be doing in so many ways, most certainly including improvement to our health care system and reduction of our national debt. It's just irresponsible to kick these cans down the road to our children like we seem so readily inclined to do for so long now...

Old 07-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Okay, well, although I appreciate very much the civil discussion we have had, I think we will just have to agree to disagree. I think the problem is that I view being able to do something means that it is possible -- although I definitely do admit that "doing the three things" is much harder for some people than others due to their circumstances (of course).

Anyway, as I said, I think that you and I should just agree to disagree about this subject -- and thanks again for the stimulating and very civil discussion.
If you say so...

I've always been disappointed with the "agree to disagree" dead end. Something like "kissing your sister," but of course I also understand how easy it is to get to this dead end and perhaps best to just leave it there.

Me on the other hand, I'm more inclined to figure out why the reconciling of opinion remains a challenge, especially when perhaps we agree more than we don't. More than you realize.

I think in terms of odds, statistics that don't refute what is "possible." Of course just about anything is possible, even that a black man become POTUS for example. But the odds?

Again reminding me of my wife who likes to buy a lottery ticket every rare once in awhile, arguing "someone has to win! Why not us?"

Yes of course, winning is possible! But the odds?

Thank YOU for your end of a stimulating and civil discussion. We should do it again sometime...

Old 07-12-2019, 03:29 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
It's really an embarrassing time to be an American. A disappointing time. I just heard the idiot talking about how good the stock market is - he doesn't realize that the stock market isn't a measure of the general well-being of the economy. Most Americans don't even participate in speculating in the stock market.
Actually, only 29% of older Americans (age 55 and older) have neither a pension nor any assets in a 401(k) or IRA account. The assets in all of those are invested in the stock market. Source: GAO

Old 07-12-2019, 04:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
There is a severe shortage of Anesthesiologists. There has been for 20 years, and it keeps getting worse.
Of course there's a shortage.

Is there some part of "anesthesiology" that you don't understand?

It's "anesthesiology" not "data entry."

Less than 0.01% of any given population has the requisite skills to do it.

It's an extraordinarily difficult job that requires an intense amount of education and training, not to mention an innate understanding of how pharmaceuticals interact with the human body.

In spite of their best efforts, I've managed to wake up during surgeries (yes, plural). It was always during the latter 1/3rd of the surgery when they're putting me back together, and while it didn't bother me, it was apparently unnerving to the surgical teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Common sense?

I think common sense should have you understanding that these choices are a little more complex than you seem able to consider and not always so either/or...
There's nothing complex about it, but I can see where Drama Queens, the Spoiled Rotten, the Self-Centered and the Entitlement Crowd would make it far more complex than it needs to be.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:27 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

It's an extraordinarily difficult job that requires an intense amount of education and training, not to mention an innate understanding of how pharmaceuticals interact with the human body.

In spite of their best efforts, I've managed to wake up during surgeries (yes, plural). It was always during the latter 1/3rd of the surgery when they're putting me back together, and while it didn't bother me, it was apparently unnerving to the surgical teams.
In my experience, most people that have awareness during surgery are actually having the surgery done under sedation, when they thought they were getting general anesthesia. There are many surgeries where local anesthesia is given, ether by nerve block, spinal anesthesia, or local infiltration of the skin. With the pain being completely blocked, we can just give a little sedation so you don’t have to be awake during the surgery, but it could be done fully awake if that is what the patient desires. But most don’t want to be awake, so we will run a propofol drip to keep them sleeping for their comfort.

Since pain is out of the equation, and propofol has some undesirable side effects, like respiratory depression and hypotension, we sometimes will err on the lighter side rather than the deeper side. And again, since we don’t have to worry about pain, a certain level of awareness is acceptable.

A much smaller percentage of patients that have awareness, actually have awareness during general anesthesia, where it is not expected or acceptable. There are certain surgeries with general anesthesia where we have to paralyze the patient, others where we cant paralyze, and the rest, can go either way depending on preference and other factors.

If you are not paralyzed for the surgery, it is hard to wake up during the surgery because due to the stimulation, your body will typically start moving long before you are physically awake, and the anesthesiologist and/or surgeon will notice this and you will be made deeper.

If you are paralyzed and awake, which is pretty rare, that is the one that we worry about because that can be painful, and even if it isn’t, it can be emotionally traumatic in some people. That can happen in certain people who genetically metabolize drugs more rapidly than the normal person. One example, is people with red hair. They often have a higher requirement for general anesthesia, and they are even more resistant to local anesthesia. It can also happen because of doctor error, but that used to be more common when we didn't have vaporizers and monitors that alarm when the gas gets low.

We also now have something called a Bispectral Index (BIS) Monitor, which in simple terms is like a mini EEG that monitors brain wave activity. Some anesthesiologists swear by it, but since no studies have shown improved outcomes, some anesthesiologists never use it. I think most of us, are in the “sometimes” category, depending on the patient. On a patient with your history, I would use it.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

There's nothing complex about it, but I can see where Drama Queens, the Spoiled Rotten, the Self-Centered and the Entitlement Crowd would make it far more complex than it needs to be.
I notice a real pleasure and inclination to start your comments with some question about what someone "don't understand."

Seems you struggle with logic and reason that involves more complex consideration, but no doubt you also consider people as simple in general, where people like me know better just how complex people can be. Quite different, complex and all in between such that the "one size fits all" way of thinking rarely applies to all. This doesn't seem all that complicated to understand either, especially if you have spent lot of time with people of all sorts, but also of course, there are always the simple people out there too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies