Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 12:21 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
It’s called anecdotal evidence and it’s often used in conjunction with data. Anyone with any sense at all can observe his environment and be perceptive of reality to know that the premise that began this thread is untrue.
We all know what it's called and we should all know it's value when it comes to the prevailing truth about such issues. The use in conjunction with data would at least be helpful. Did I miss that data in your comment somehow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 12:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
It’s called anecdotal evidence and it’s often used in conjunction with data. Anyone with any sense at all can observe his environment and be perceptive of reality to know that the premise that began this thread is untrue.
You mean like "it's snowing so Global Warming cannot be real"?

"his environment" is a tiny portion of the puzzle. My dad ran a factory with two black employees - Janitorial. That was in the 60's and, no matter what they did, they were not going to get another position there. It simply was not done. They did relatively well for their "kind" at the time, but please...let's not pretend that they and the 500K others like them within 10 miles had the educational, vocational or "equal" treatment under the law or economy or society or anything else.

Just so I can ponder it....exactly WHEN (what year) do you think true equal opportunity for all came to every American child who is growing up?

Old 07-25-2019, 12:32 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Without offering even a hint of what information you have to the contrary? How very nice and convenient for you. I can only imagine how little time you spend considering what Sanders is telling us too...

3 People Are Wealthier Than Half of All Americans

https://www.thewrap.com/bernie-sande...-who-they-are/
I don't listen to Sanders, anymore than i listen to any politician.

If you want to believe that 40% of folks in this country cannot pay their bills, far be it for me to try and stop you.. but i don't believe it and i am certainly not gonna waste time trying to prove either of us right or wrong..

Old 07-25-2019, 12:38 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
WTH? Who would believe anything that comes out of the sewage trap that is The Washington Post?

Amazon.com founder and chief executive Jeffrey P. Bezos formally takes over as the owner of The Washington Post on Oct. 1, 2013.

So Bezos is trying to make it right for the little guy, right?

Old 07-25-2019, 12:44 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

If you want to believe that 40% of folks in this country cannot pay their bills, far be it for me to try and stop you.. but i don't believe it and i am certainly not gonna waste time trying to prove either of us right or wrong..
Doesn't matter who you listen to. What matters is what you know and/or don't, regardless who you listen to. What are the facts? Also not a matter of believing me! It's whether we believe what we learn, from wherever. If yes, why? If no, why? Simple say so and personal anecdotes doesn't cut it with most folks truly interested in the truth of these matters.

I've really got to sign off now, but perhaps I can waste still more time trying to explain even such basics again here tomorrow though I really have to wonder how so much of this needs explaining in the first place...

Old 07-25-2019, 01:02 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

"his environment" is a tiny portion of the puzzle. My dad ran a factory with two black employees - Janitorial. That was in the 60's and, no matter what they did, they were not going to get another position there. It simply was not done. They did relatively well for their "kind" at the time, but please...let's not pretend that they and the 500K others like them within 10 miles had the educational, vocational or "equal" treatment under the law or economy or society or anything else.

Just so I can ponder it....exactly WHEN (what year) do you think true equal opportunity for all came to every American child who is growing up?
You might want to ponder some more sensitive language than "their kind" while you are at it, geez.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:27 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

A) You will never hear me make such an argument with a fallacy such as the one you mentioned about global warming.

B) I also never said that all children are born with equal opportunity.

That said, yes, many people are poor because they or their parents are/were deadbeats. There are systemic reasons for that for sure, mostly caused by Democrat policies in areas they have dominated for decades, but that doesn't mean the people living those lives are not deadbeats.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:34 PM

21,945 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Yep! There is a very small percentage of people who are truly poor, who cannot pay their bills, as there is in every country. Most of the so-called poor or people who are 'struggling' are those who are losers. Instead of paying their bills, they prefer to spend their money on going out to dinner or picking up a case of beer. Instead of saving for their future, they will pay for their $100 cable subscription. I know several people like this, who cannot get ahead because they don't know how to manage their money. That is not my problem.
It kind of is your problem because you are paying for them through your taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

I will correct it. "40% can't pay their bills that are not their cell phone bills'.

When I got out of college, I did without. I couldn't afford to even buy a TV. Then when I got one, I couldn't afford cable. So guess what? I didn't have it. Show me a poor person without a cell phone. I know. I know. They NEED it.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:44 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It kind of is your problem because you are paying for them through your taxes.

I will correct it. "40% can't pay their bills that are not their cell phone bills'.

When I got out of college, I did without. I couldn't afford to even buy a TV. Then when I got one, I couldn't afford cable. So guess what? I didn't have it. Show me a poor person without a cell phone. I know. I know. They NEED it.
I would argue that in todays world they DO need a cell phone, however they probably don't need an $800+ cell phone. Many less expensive options that are reasonable for people without a ton of money.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:49 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
How about 78% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck??? And that style of living is NOT Trump's fault.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/shut...-paycheck.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies