Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:21 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
This^^^^

I realize that we have a large number of anti-LEO types that think they can take a violent, 300lb male down with a one hand tied behind their back. Garner died because he was stupid-not because he was black, or because the police "killed him". His own actions, and his physical conditions did.
Garner died because he was violently taken down by the cops for no reason. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 10:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Remove race if you don't like that aspect and just look at the action of choking and killing a man for the accusation of skipping a tobacco tax for selling a individual cigarette. Because that is what he was choked for, he was killed over a $1.00 dollar tax.

I don't want police in my area to be the Judge, Jury, and Executioner. If it was worth choking the guy over, then is should have been worth prosecuting and allowing a jury to make the decision. But we all know that form of aggression was not called for nor was the guy a threat to anyone.
Its my understanding the pack of cigarettes were already purchased, so ALL taxes would have already been paid.

Even if he did not have the receipt to prove it, the store where he bought it, can go into their surv system and find him buying and paying for the pack of cigarettes.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:27 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
The irony is not lost to me that Philadelphia is too black and too democratic to be seriously challenged over police abuses towards minorities.

Empty platitudes, the creation of a diversity commission or more police training blah blah blah will suffice.

This is Philly, this is what their voters obviously are ok "enough" with to not rock the back of the bus too much.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
He was very much in the right for resisting arrest here imo, and I think the city needs to publicly admit that!!

Citizens DO HAVE rights when it comes to dealing with police, he was NOT doing anything wrong, its a shame no other citizens came to his aid and maybe put the damn cop in a chokehold! LOL

I would also support rioting over this, in this case, its definitely justified.
Riiiight!

Gotta get me an extra large bag of popcorn for this one.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:30 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sell a couple loose cigarettes on the street corner (which he wasn't even doing) and get jumped by the cops.

Rape a girl and get compassion because you come from a "good family".
Ok I am going to have to agree with you. If memory serves there were like 5 cops wrestling this guy to the ground, and all for selling loose cigarettes.

That's like sending 5 guys to change a light bulb. Surely there has to be better uses for these highly paid police officers. I don't know, like maybe going after gang bangers, or car thieves, or murderers, or rapists.

In short the police are not the judge jury or executioners. They investigate. They knew who the guy was, he wasn't going anywhere, and it wasn't like he was throwing punches.

As pknoop said we see rapist get compassionate sentences because they came from a nice family.

This was wrong beginning to end.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:34 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its my understanding the pack of cigarettes were already purchased, so ALL taxes would have already been paid.

Even if he did not have the receipt to prove it, the store where he bought it, can go into their surv system and find him buying and paying for the pack of cigarettes.
For Philly you have a $2 city tax, plus over $3 in state cigarette and sales tax for a total of over $5 tax per pack.

As a result of getting around those heavy taxes they are bought in bulk by organized crime from tribal areas and then sold through street vendors like Eric Garner.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:39 AM

5,862 posts, read 3,302,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Ok I am going to have to agree with you. If memory serves there were like 5 cops wrestling this guy to the ground, and all for selling loose cigarettes.

That's like sending 5 guys to change a light bulb. Surely there has to be better uses for these highly paid police officers. I don't know, like maybe going after gang bangers, or car thieves, or murderers, or rapists.

In short the police are not the judge jury or executioners. They investigate. They knew who the guy was, he wasn't going anywhere, and it wasn't like he was throwing punches.

As pknoop said we see rapist get compassionate sentences because they came from a nice family.

This was wrong beginning to end.
Please tell us how you would arrest a 300 pound man who wants to resist. Read my post as to why they were there.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Please tell us how you would arrest a 300 pound man who wants to resist. Read my post as to why they were there.
They wouldn’t. The idea is to just let certain people get away with committing crimes that they don’t feel are worthy of arrest. This is the attitude taken in liberal West coast areas like Seattle and Portland, and why property crime and other “minor” crimes are out of control in those areas.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Please tell us how you would arrest a 300 pound man who wants to resist.
That's easy. You put him in a chokehold and kill him. For cigarettes he didn't even have. That's apparently how the police operate in this country.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
For Philly you have a $2 city tax, plus over $3 in state cigarette and sales tax for a total of over $5 tax per pack.

As a result of getting around those heavy taxes they are bought in bulk by organized crime from tribal areas and then sold through street vendors like Eric Garner.
As long as the 'bulk' cigarettes were bought legally (by anyone), what he was doing was perfectly legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies