Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 05:02 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reportedly, most charges were for selling loose cigarettes on the street without a license and he was allegedly doing so once again on the day he died, despite no cigarettes were found.

It is clear Garner resisted arrest. It is clear the officer used force, despite that Garner was physically incapable of running. It is clear Garner repeatedly said he could not breathe. The officer denied using a chokehold. The Medical Examiner supported by the autopsy, concluded a chokehold had been used.

The officer did not intend to kill him and his defense argued that Garner’s own health problems ( heart disease, diabetes, severe asthma, obesity, and sleep apnea) caused his death. Seems reasonable the chokehold triggered cardiac arrest.

The city previously settled out of court with the family for $5.9 million.

Both Obama and Bush 2 had previously spoken out about Garner’s death.

Had Garner not resisted he might be alive, today.

Had the officer not used a chokehold - excessive force, Garner might be alive, today.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 05:32 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The cop who put the 37-time offender in a chokehold will not be charged:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....old-death/amp/

The city ME believes Mr. Garner died of an asthma attack due to the hold, but other experts suggest he died of a heart attack while resisting arrest. Either way, the cop won’t be charged.
Here is my take on all of this. I spoke about this before on here. I knew pantenello will not be charged. This is par for thr course when an officer kills an unarmed individual. In the video of thr whole incident, one can see Eric garner resist arrest, but not forcefully resisting. All he do was back up. One of the officers pantenello jumped behind garner and took him down, and applied more pressure to his face with a knee in his face. We can hear garner say "I can't breathe".

We live in an society where everything is one sided and not a list or contribution of other factors. The cholehold contributed to his death, but also health complications such as weight 450 pounds, having type 2 diabetes, asthma and high clorestol played its part as well in eric garner death. Also having nearly 40 arrests. Who is going to hire someone for a job with 40 arrests in NYC? No one. The only we he can provide an income for himself is to go on the black market like selling loose cigarettes, metrocard rides and such.

The city of NY failed Eric garner also the community failed him. The NYPD worked in his community and help contribute to his death. The community failed him due to lack of growth and not putting positive male role model in his life so that he can avoid delinquent behavior. That delinquent behavior which spanned 40 years led to nearly 40 arrests. So many arrears also mean no likely chance of future employment.

I don't like to see people fired, or forced to be fired by a angry mob. But pantenello lost the public trust in my opinion. NYPD should fire him.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We absolutely have this right!!! and more if necessary.'

This is why we should be teaching our kids to KNOW their individual rights in relation to dealing with police, that way, they will not hesitate, they will know whether they MUST comply, or whether they do not have to, they also need to know when use of force is acceptable.

These are rights given to us as citizens! Its a shame many adults do not even know them.
Guess I was not clear. When is force against an officer a right?

Old 07-17-2019, 06:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Guess I was not clear. When is force against an officer a right?
When they are attempting to violate your rights. It's the very reason the founders of the country made sure there was a 2nd Amendment.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Here is my take on all of this. I spoke about this before on here. I knew pantenello will not be charged. This is par for thr course when an officer kills an unarmed individual. In the video of thr whole incident, one can see Eric garner resist arrest, but not forcefully resisting. All he do was back up. One of the officers pantenello jumped behind garner and took him down, and applied more pressure to his face with a knee in his face. We can hear garner say "I can't breathe".

We live in an society where everything is one sided and not a list or contribution of other factors. The cholehold contributed to his death, but also health complications such as weight 450 pounds, having type 2 diabetes, asthma and high clorestol played its part as well in eric garner death. Also having nearly 40 arrests. Who is going to hire someone for a job with 40 arrests in NYC? No one. The only we he can provide an income for himself is to go on the black market like selling loose cigarettes, metrocard rides and such.

The city of NY failed Eric garner also the community failed him. The NYPD worked in his community and help contribute to his death. The community failed him due to lack of growth and not putting positive male role model in his life so that he can avoid delinquent behavior. That delinquent behavior which spanned 40 years led to nearly 40 arrests. So many arrears also mean no likely chance of future employment.

I don't like to see people fired, or forced to be fired by a angry mob. But pantenello lost the public trust in my opinion. NYPD should fire him.
The city and community failed Garner?

He had a job. Reportedly he had to resign for health reasons, related to his weight.

Nonetheless, he was able to father a child who was 3 months old at the time of Garner’s death.

I see someone with a long track record of lousy choices.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:11 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
no loss to society, in fact a net gain.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sell a couple loose cigarettes on the street corner (which he wasn't even doing) and get jumped by the cops.

Rape a girl and get compassion because you come from a "good family".
The big government liberals want to be all powerful.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Loosies are essentially illegal because of taxes. Since each cigarette doesn't have a tax stamp, the government can't tell if all local taxes have been collected.

Eric Garner was killed because the government wanted to ensure proper taxes were collected.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The big government liberals want to be all powerful.
Authoritarians wear all sort of labels. No argument from me.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Loosies are essentially illegal because of taxes. Since each cigarette doesn't have a tax stamp, the government can't tell if all local taxes have been collected.

Eric Garner was killed because the government wanted to ensure proper taxes were collected.
It also had to do with greed. A person wanted a smoke but didn't want to pay $10 for a pack so they would buy a single cigarette off the guy on the sidewalk. It was the local businesses that complained, not the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies