Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 11:12 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,661,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That's if you do 60 minutes of running 4 days a week!

No, that is not reasonable to expect everyone to do that. Nor did your average person 30 years ago do that much exercise. Not even close.

That example goes to show how difficult it is to lose weight via exercise.
I was losing 10 pounds a month simply by removing carbs and walking 30 minutes 5 times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 11:13 AM

20,907 posts, read 9,617,621 times
It is unrealistic to expect everyone to run 4 times a week for an hour even at moderate intensity.

30 years ago everybody didn't do that. Yet they were thinner than they are now.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:16 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,134,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
If the consumer wanted them we would. cooking a burger isn't fast either.
Health is not marketable. Now days it kind of is but only because theres just so many unhealthy people out there. We created a health crisis because we marketed tasty food and as a consequence we created unhealthy people and thats a new market.

The circle of life. Or the donut of life..

Old 09-17-2019, 11:18 AM

20,907 posts, read 9,617,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I was losing 10 pounds a month simply by removing carbs and walking 30 minutes 5 times a week.
Several years ago I lost 25 lbs (170-145) in a year just by cutting carbs, and didn't exercise any more.

Since then I've slacked off the diet and gotten back up to 165, even though I do several minutes on an exercise machine a few times a week, on average.

But I think people are missing the bigger point here: Nobody should really have to go on such strict regimens just to stay reasonably thin. It is harder to stay thin now than it was in the 80's, and that has nothing to do with personal responsibility or habits.

Why It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the 1980s
Quote:
A study published recently in the journal Obesity Research & Clinical Practice found that it’s harder for adults today to maintain the same weight as those 20 to 30 years ago did, even at the same levels of food intake and exercise.

The authors examined the dietary data of 36,400 Americans between 1971 and 2008 and the physical activity data of 14,419 people between 1988 and 2006. They grouped the data sets together by the amount of food and activity, age, and BMI.

They found a very surprising correlation: A given person, in 2006, eating the same amount of calories, taking in the same quantities of macronutrients like protein and fat, and exercising the same amount as a person of the same age did in 1988 would have a BMI that was about 2.3 points higher. In other words, people today are about 10 percent heavier than people were in the 1980s, even if they follow the exact same diet and exercise plans.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:25 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,165,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Lol, so because some people have zero self control, the rest of us suffer? No thanks.

We already govern too many areas to cater to the lowest common denominator. I say just let these people eat themselves to death and take away the subsidized health care where its obviously self inflicted.
Exactly, what kind of solution is that?? I don't want grocery shopping to be barren and Soviet-like just because some people are fat pigs.

Go to Japan or South Korea and it's amazing how much of a wide variety of delicious convenience foods there are absolutely everywhere. Yet obesity is virtually non-existent there (superior genetics + more reasonable portion sizes).

Only thing I'd agree with is to stop subsidizing things like corn and dairy.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:28 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,582,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So much for personal responsibility, eh?

Last time I checked, no one was forcing me to order a pizza or drink a soda....
This. You make your OWN choices as to what to put into your body, same with exercise It’s your choice no one else’s fault if you knowingly eat food full of crap. There is good food out there yes, it’s it’s expensive but don’t blame anyone else for your poor eating habits.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:30 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,028,156 times
If people JUST removed processed and fast food, I suspect the problem would go away. But they don't want to, and we are not a country who imposes restrictions on freedoms like that.

Perhaps incentives for healthier lifestyles? Not sure how you would do that, or penalties for bad foods.

I think education is important, so teaching the kids in school would be a good start, and healthier school lunches.

Years of convincing my husbands young son of the benefits of a healthy diet started to pay off when he reached 17. Exposing him to foods, methods of cooking and seasonings. Taught him to look at sugar content (4 grams = 1 tsp), and now he is militantly against foods with a lot of sugar.

Classes should be given to people on how to cook fast (or in large freezable quantities) healthy meals at home.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-17-2019, 11:31 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,134,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
This. You make your OWN choices as to what to put into your body, same with exercise It’s your choice no one else’s fault if you knowingly eat food full of crap. There is good food out there yes, it’s it’s expensive but don’t blame anyone else for your poor eating habits.
Not dismissing personal society.

Just perplexing that we marketed all this crap to people then ask why is society so fat.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:37 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,435,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That's if you do 60 minutes of running 4 days a week!

No, that is not reasonable to expect everyone to do that. Nor did your average person 30 years ago do that much exercise. Not even close.

That example goes to show how difficult it is to lose weight via exercise.

Further, using the calculator linked in your VOX article, I put in my stats:

45 yr old male, 6'4" 230lbs

I put in that I wanted to lose 20lbs in 6 months. Working out by medium intensity running for just 30 mins 4x/week would allow me an additional 415 calories per day, vs just dieting, to get to my goal weight in 180 days.

415 cals is 10 oz of grilled chicken and a cup of roasted cauliflower - i.e. an entire meal worth of food.

Tell me again how exercising doesn't matter....

Old 09-17-2019, 11:38 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,543,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I lost 10 pounds in a week...had a tummy virus..pooped it all out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies