Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 07:02 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
1) Trickle down economic has resulted in a declining middle class and increasing wealth gap. Add to this reduction in class mobility which is the hallmark of American Capitalism, you work your way up, not your born and stuck unless you get lucky or know someone in the right places. We need a change to how Capitalism works in America, at least some guide rails or the middle class decline will continue regardless of the Jobs numbers.

2) Healthcare legislation and improvements. You might not agree with all solutions proposed by Democrats, but at least they have something. What is the Republican plan? Been waiting for almost 10 years now.

3) Lack of solutions from the Right on many issues: Infrastructure, Education and Student loans, Food supply and cost, corporate control of politics and politicians. A whole host of issues many Americans want solutions for that Republicans have not addressed.

If you look at this forum it is clear what Republicans run on: Decrease or no Taxes, Increased Military spending, Increased Police spending, Increased Immigration spending , and Big Corporation success including bailouts (feds pumping money now) .

Those issues make great bumper stickers but skip the big issues the middle class is dealing with right now. It is difficult for Middle class Americans to find a good school for their kids in a place they can afford. Quality of food and cost of non-processed food is an issue for American families, add in child care cost, student loans, lack of pay raises for the middle class, and it is easy to understand why the birth rate is falling.

Look I am not a Democrat but I do understand why we have two parties. And I can be honest in saying WE NEED BOTH PARTIES. If one party is in power for too long then too many issues get ignored resulting in a declining middle class and country overall. Unless Republicans have a plan for those issues noted and will actually write legislation and not gibber jabber about it on TV only.
1. You do realize that wages are increasing faster than inflation for all income groups and the lowest earners are seeing the greatest gains, right?

2. The Democrat's healthcare solution is to give the plan I have been paying into for forty years to people that just illegally crossed the border. Why should my employer's obligation to provide health insurance to me as a condition of my employment be passed on to working Americans?

3. The corporate ***** wing of the Republican Party is just as corrupt as the Democrats. Neither one serves the interest of ordinary workers. The bailouts gave the people that caused the financial crisis liquid assets when no one else had them. They used this money, borrowed from China in our children's names, to buy up assets at fire sale prices so that they could sell them back to us at full retail later on. This greatest transfer of wealth from the working poor to the wealthy in world history inspired the Tea Party movement that would eventually take control of the Republican Party. They, the establishment, don't like us and we don't like them. Of course we would prefer to start our own party, but the political reality in America is that third party candidates lose, so, after Perot, we decided on a strategy of taking over the Republican Party from within. Today, Trump's policies are exactly what people that work for a living want and need, so we put up with the tweets and such.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:03 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Many of my relatives are women, who will have their bodies controlled by the religious right if these fanatics have their way.

I have some relatives that are gay, who cannot marry their lovers under religious fanatic rule.

Your accusations of Hillary are backed by thin air.
How are their own bodies being controlled? They can get all the surgery they want, as long as it doesn't entail murdering an innocent life right before it's born.

As far as gays, they can always get married in a state where it's legal. That's the beauty of state's rights. If you don't like your state's laws, you move to where you like them

And my accusations of Hillary are true. She told her employee it was illegal to set up his own server, and then she did it herself! That's how desperate she was to hide her dealings and promises with foreign leaders! It's there in plain sight for any but the most deluded liberals to see.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
I am not a Dem, but I do have 3 reasons to not vote for Trump.

1. Restore sanity

2. Restore free market economy

3. Restore respect for the constitution and the American people (all people, not just one party)

I hope Rand Paul challenges him.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-25-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 08:02 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
I'm not a Liberal, but here are just some reasons I will not support Trump in 2020 despite being a reliable Republican voter prior for decades prior to 2016.

1. Foreign policy - Trump's insular foreign policy is nothing short of disastrous. He has not only undermined American credibility and soft power abroad, he has done so at a time when the Chinese and their BRI are thrilled to filled the void and take on the role of global leader, except on their terms. Whether you agree or disagree with the overall benefit of trade globalization (with, insanely, so-called conservatives opposing it in favor of mercantalism), America being able to dictate the global order as a leader has been of tremendous benefit to our growth and prosperity since 1945. Ceding that power makes no sense at all. The Democratic candidates are advocating for a more collaborative foreign policy approach than the long-outdated Westphalian rant presented by Trump at the UN yesterday. We are in a global, modern world, like it or not.

2. Trade policy - abandoning the TPP was an insanely stupid move, as was Trump's approach to NAFTA. While multi-lateral trade policies are never perfect, simply blowing them up instead of proposing intelligent and constructive changes is not a good idea. Moreover, no matter how much Trump supporters wish to stick their heads in the sand, the trade war with China not only hurts American taxpayers more than it helps, it is being conducted much in the same way as trade agreements, which is to say that there appears to be no detail or endgame. The demands the current administration amount to the complete revamp of the Chinese economic model, which is frankly not going to happen. The Democrats are offering an opportunity for a "reset" with this trade war insanity which is, at worst, addition by subtraction of Trump's "I'm a tariff man" policy from the equation.

3(a). Climate change - yes, I know many of you are climate change deniers but the fact of the matter is that, among young conservatives of all people, 59% believe climate change is already affecting America. The Brookings Institute just released an analysis of economic damage expected to occur if we continue down the current path, and the numbers are devastating, particularly South of the Mason-Dixon. The current President not only believes climate change is a hoax, for some unknown reason he is intent on rolling back environmental protections even when manufacturers prefer he not do so. While Trump appears to want to roll back environmental protections for no reason other than to "stick it to the libs," the Democratic candidates are proposing mostly market-based solutions to combat the problem. Despite the right wing rhetoric, no one is proposing banning cows or cars. Personally, I believe a carbon tax with the proceeds distributed to all Americans in a lump sum would be a tax-payer neutral way to encourage market based solutions without hurting the taxpayer - an approach supported by ExxonMobil and Total, amongst other oil giants. Are their solutions all perfect? No. Are they better than sticking our collective heads in the sand and calling climate change a "hoax"? Without question.

3(b). Violation of political norms/expansionism of Executive power/opacity - for climate change deniers, I add this little extra reason. Trump has been the biggest offender in the untrammeled expansion of Executive power since its lowest ebb during the era immediately after Nixon. The latest shameless refusal to follow the law regarding whistleblower protections is just the most recent in a slew of opacity (whether by lying or stonewalling) that is far beyond what we have seen in the past. Think of the debacle with Wilbur Ross and the citizenship question on the census, where the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court basically called him an outright liar. Think of his refusal to disclose his financial ties. And while it is true that other Presidents have been opaque, expanded executive power, and lied to the public, Trump's unique shamelessness and total disregard for truthfulness puts him in a whole new category, as does his boorish, belligerent behavior. Taken alone, any one of these issues concerning the current administration's opacity would be concerning, taken together, they are beyond troubling. To date, the Democratic candidates have been far more transparent.

We could also get into Domestic policy/economics more (particularly where his pressure on the Fed is dangerous), but the fact of the matter is that the next President will almost assuredly face a House or Senate controlled by a different party, which will stymie most of their Domestic policy agenda.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:46 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Gabbard and Buttigieg have military training. With youth and grappling experience, they are capable of grabbing Trump.
What are you babbling about...?

Old 09-25-2019, 09:00 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
You don't like the color orange, and being played like a tin flute.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:16 AM

652 posts, read 340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
I can do without a crime boss running a protection racket from the White House.

I can do without the shackles of religious freedom.

I can do without holding Hispanic children in concentration camps
Pay ATTENTION!

We’re not discussing Obama here.

Silly liberals.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:25 AM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,885 times
1) Free stuff will make our lives more enjoyable
2) Open borders will give us new friends
3) Removing all authority from law enforcement will allow us to live our lives the way we want

Old 09-25-2019, 09:26 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Reason number one for not voting for Trump:
Our taxes are higher, not lower and the deficit is exploding. The next recession with this deficit is going to be interesting. Our food prices are sky rocketing as well and since we get most of our produce from Mexico, I have to question what he's done with NAFTA. Our gas prices are climbing as well. We are not better off under Trump's policies.

Number two reason for not voting for Trump: The graft, corruption, dysfunction, and toxic environment that is pushing our allies away and embracing Putin. Trump wants only yes men around him and the turnover in his administration is disturbing. So is the corruption in his cabinet and the way he and his family benefit financially from the presidency at tax payer expense. I just read the transcript of the call with he Ukrainian president. It's been sanitized and marginalized just like the Mueller report. Lets hear from the whistle blower and the Trump appointed I.G. that said that the complaint was both credible and urgent. Do you honestly think Trump will be open and honest about the complaint? More games, more lies. Enough.

Number three reason for not voting for Trump: The constant obstruction to get to the bottom of the investigations. All of them could be cleared up and tax payer dollars could be spared if we had an honest man in the white house. The constant lies and games are disturbing and an honest, innocent person would not need to obstruct Congress that we the people voted for to get answers and put a check on a rogue president. Mob boss tactics and lies are not what should be running this country. We the people have to demand better.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:34 AM

317 posts, read 224,910 times
Why not vote for Trump? Because you are a decent human being with morals and ethics. Unless you're not, then carry on.

You don't automatically have to vote democrat by the way. There are a couple of other republicans trying to run, Joe Walsh and Mark Sanford come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies